grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Publicly-funded care that only costs $10 a day

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/87185/U ... child-care

Unions voice concerns over child care
by The Canadian Press - Story: 87185
Feb 10, 2013 / 7:45 pm

While British Columbia's government promotes its first-ever Family Day as an opportunity to take a holiday at home, some unions are seizing the occasion to spread their own messages.

The government is encouraging families to create new memories and enjoy the best the province has to offer on Monday with what it has dubbed a "B.C. Staycation," playing on the idea of staying local for a vacation.

Premier Christy Clark said the holiday means British Columbians will get a break during the long stretch between New Year's and Easter.

"Whether you hit the slopes or take the kids on a hike, this weekend is about spending time together," she said Sunday in a release. "I hope everyone enjoys the extra day to spend time together with the people important to them."

Tourism Minister Pat Bell said the holiday will provide a significant boost to the province's tourism sector, noting there are many specials deals that will be on during the day, as well as free family-focused special events.

Child care workers, however, will be using the day to urge the government to implement a new, affordable daycare system.

Workers with the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union have collected 3,000 signed postcards from families that will be sent to Victoria asking for publicly-funded care that only costs $10 a day.

"On B.C.'s first Family Day holiday, the government should recognize that young families are financially squeezed," said BCGEU President Darryl Walker in a release.

The Canadian Press

So the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union expects taxpayers to pay parents' child care costs?

If you can't afford to look after your kids, don't breed.

And lots of young families could cut out the drive-through fast food, the Timmies or Starbucks every morning on their way to work, they could brown bag it and they could cut expenses in lots of different ways.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Publicly-funded care that only costs $10 a day

Post by Urbane »

grammafreddy wrote:
    So the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union expects taxpayers to pay parents' child care costs?

If you can't afford to look after your kids, don't breed.

And lots of young families could cut out the drive-through fast food, the Timmies or Starbucks every morning on their way to work, they could brown bag it and they could cut expenses in lots of different ways.
Hear hear! My thoughts exactly.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The BGEU will be disappointed. Dix will not go for it.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Dix has promised to "expand child care."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Childcare would be awesome to have available. Not many options people have now.

PS: In France, full childcare costs 17 Euros a month.
'
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

And what does France's economy look like these days? Can they afford all these social perks?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

grammafreddy wrote:And what does France's economy look like these days? Can they afford all these social perks?

Don't know much about their economy, I doubt it's in much rougher shape than Canadian. While some social perks are unnecessary (welfare system for anybody who comes into France from former colonies), childcare to me sounds like a quite important perk for overall stability of the country. I say implement it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

And pay for it how?

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

grammafreddy wrote:And pay for it how?

Through taxation and user fees. Same way we pay for education and health system.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I have to agree with GF and Urbane. If you can't look after them don't have them.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

So the user fees would be $10 a day. Per child or flat rate even if you have a dozen kids?

Any idea what it costs now for child care per day?

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

grammafreddy wrote:So the user fees would be $10 a day. Per child or flat rate even if you have a dozen kids?

Any idea what it costs now for child care per day?

I don't know what it is per day, but monthly cost easily can be over a grand. With $10/day rate it would lower the burden to $200/month.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Currently, the vast majority of people are subsidized by the government, but it's an awesome idea moving to 100% because is not fair to leave rich people out.

Right now my wife stays at home to do stuff with the kids, do some volunteering, and help out at the school. Bring on the $10/day day care, and we could stick our kids in day care instead! The best part is that she, with her community experience, will be able to take a job away from a poor single-parent family struggling to make ends meet. But who cares about that because we will be able to buy a hummer and a few other nice toys.
Last edited by Glacier on Feb 12th, 2013, 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Captain Awesome wrote:

I don't know what it is per day, but monthly cost easily can be over a grand. With $10/day rate it would lower the burden to $200/month.

So taxpayers should pick up a tab of $800/mon per child??? And you think France's economy is in about the same state as Canada's?? Ya might want to re evaluate that thought. Socialized crap like this is why they are in the toilet just like Quebec with their $7/day daycare. Who pays for Quebec's daycare? We do with 7 billion dollars of transfer payments to them.
If you can't afford to raise them, you have no business having them. We would not have child poverty issues on the scale that we do if people just understood this simple concept.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

We pay for our kids day care and I can assure you, the amount we pay really sucks, it is expensive, however I don't see how that is any ones problem but ours. They are my kids not someone else's.

I would find a $10.00 a day daycare nice. I would also find free cars nice, maybe a boat and a house on the lake. Yes if the taxpayers would please pay for these things for me it would ease my financial place in life considerably.

Or maybe people can learn to live inside their means and work for their rewards and take responsibility for their actions and choices in life. Social programs are to help people with needs, not wants and desires.

Return to “B.C.”