Restaurant drops 'albino' beer after name deemed offensive

zzontar
Guru

Re: Restaurant drops 'albino' beer after name deemed offensi

Post by zzontar »

Urbane wrote:What a crock. Those human rights tribunals have to go. Their decisions and even the cases that they take seriously have made a mockery of genuine human rights.

Who pays for these tribunals?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

zzontar wrote:
    Who pays for these tribunals?
You and I pay for them. The accused have to pay all of their legal expenses and those who claim to have been "offended" have all of their costs covered by the taxpayers.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Good grief, especially a freaking beer. If theres anything that has some off the wall names its beers from the smaller breweries. Those, and english pubs.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

ARen't they talking about instituting "tribunals" for all motor vehicle act violations too? :ohmygod:
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Will people with the last name Albino now be told to change their name, according to Canada 411 there are some that live in BC, the shame,
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Rex Murphy on our human rights commissions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Bcx-gqe_g
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Your bias suits you.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Albino Rhino beer will no longer be served at a British Columbia restaurant chain after a human rights tribunal deemed the name offensive.
Earls Restaurant has been carrying its exclusive ‘Albino Rhino’ beer brand for 25 years, which was named after the rare white rhinoceros. But after April 24, the restaurant says the word ‘albino’ will be removed from all of its branding.
A Vancouver woman who was born with albinism brought the case to the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal, arguing that the branding was offensive -- and the tribunal agreed.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/restaurant-drops-albino-beer-after-name-deemed-offensive-1.1159502

What a joke. Too bad it costs so much to appeal[/quote]

The only people I am really *bleep* at is EARLS. WHY dont they have the balls to say hey we have had this name for 25 years and we plan on keeping it.To bow to the pressures of these JERKS makes me mad.Very mad

this so called albino women is obviuously very disturbed mentally
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

But, she speaks for all those rhinoserous' that can't speak
for themselves!
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

And the lowest common denominator wins again.

This really is a sad storey. I'm guessing Earls did a little math and reckoned it was cheaper to change the name of the beer or drop it than to take any bad press by disputing this absurd charge.

I know the lady that brought this up was quoted as saying before people judge this as overly political correctness to take a moment and educate themselves that albinoism is a terrible condition. I'm going to take her word for it but if anyone ever said "Yo Steve; Albino Rhino!" the image that comes to me is sitting on Earls Patio with the condensation running down the side of a cold pint of beer as I'm about to bite into a juicy bacon cheeseburger. There are names and words out there with many double meanings, are we going to outlaw them all?

The more I think about it, naming a bird Bald Eagle is very upsetting to me. Whats the number for that commision?
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

I think to celebrate the victorious decision I will have a Virgin Mary with some Old English Fish and French Fries at Sambo's Restaurant. For desert a Black Russian. Once I'm done I will go outside and smoke a *bleep* <f.a.g>! For today's entertainment I will catch a midget hockey game.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

And another bit of perspective:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=5323052&page=1

The tribunal's job is to stand up for folks who are in minority positions. Just because we don't understand it, doesn't mean that albino folks don't have a point, and a right to be without having to put up with what they find offensive.

This article has a telling anecdote about drunks shouting out at this fellow with albinism. If that's problematic, and I assume it is, then I can understand the offense taken at a beer called albino rhino...

The question is: are these folks too sensitive, or are we not sensitive enough?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

So what do we can the African animal now? Short Fat Unicorn?

It was named after the animal not the disease. They should rename the disease instead.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I guess they can't call it "black rhino" either. The people at the tribunal should all get their walking papers as the term "albino" was not used in a derogatory or demeaning manner in the slightest. There is absolutely nothing the tribunal had to stand up for anymore than calling it "The Tall Giraffe" would be an insult against tall people.

ETA: The average albino can buy clothes anywhere they want but a tall person can't even though both are genetic things that they have no control over. Hmmmmm, not being able to find clothes that fit, or putting up with a drink called "Albino Rhino,"... which is worse?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

They better not rename it White beer, I'll be on them like a fat kid on on a cheeseburger. :sunshine:
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “B.C.”