Is Christy ready to drop a writ--Feb 28th?

my5cents
Guru

Re: Is Christy ready to drop a writ--Feb 28th?

Post by my5cents »

Veovis wrote:(emphasis added). Not a big shock there though, many aren't concerned with actual facts and figures but rely more one the myths and promises both sides make without any substance to them. That and it's a loaded question to an extent. It ignores all factors like people having already made up their minds, people who hate one party or the other, people who don't bother to see what the budget means to them, people who don't trust the liberal budget etc.

It's a lot like asking "have you ever stuck your child?" YES or NO to determine abuse in a general online survey. (it could have been abuse, accident, while playing, light, hard, etc etc etc., when unqualified the question means much less)

However, the results aren't surprising to me.

"Rely more on the myths" - isn't the biggest myth, the contents of Liberal budgets ?

"People who don't bother to see what the budget means to them" - when budgets tabled by the govt have absolutely no basis in reality, why would someone use the contents of it to base a decision ?

"People who don't trust a Liberal budget" - Bingo

Both the Liberals and the NDP have been somewhat "overly optimistic" when composing (inventing ?) pre-election budgets. However the Liberals demonstrated in their last pre-election budget that they are in a completely different league.

A budget from a lame duck government, three months before they will be tossed from power is as big a joke as CC's Throne Speech.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

What's a big joke is believing any political party tells the truth. If it is truth you want to vote in, good bloody luck with that.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Or simply people who have made up their mind no matter what......

Your post is certainly a show of that indeed. Mine was party neutral.

my5cents wrote:"Rely more on the myths" - isn't the biggest myth, the contents of Liberal budgets ?

Myths like massive increases for special interest groups like unions and teachers with no basis for how to make it happen? That doesn't count? Myths apply to both sides equally and both sell their own.

my5cents wrote:"People who don't bother to see what the budget means to them" - when budgets tabled by the govt have absolutely no basis in reality, why would someone use the contents of it to base a decision ?

Yet many are very poor at actual math or reading comprehension and rely on rhetoric not fact to make decisions. I read federal and provincial budget summaries for any implications to myself, I would bet a very small population bothers. (many accounting firms provide free summaries on their websites) That's not a liberal failing, that's an individual one.

my5cents wrote:"People who don't trust a Liberal budget" - Bingo

I made this comment as I felt it was true, it didn't need to be stated for every point as I adressed the budget issue cleanly and the other points applied to everyone.

I take it you voted in the 90% side of that poll. I'll at least see what they propose and see what Dix proposes and see which I feel is less full of BS.

None the less, it validates why the poll is a poorly designed one.
guicho

Post by guicho »

I agree Grandma. I am very disappointed with the options. Looking at the confirmed candidates in my riding on the coast, I am reminded of that Pink Floyd song, "Pigs, Three Different Kinds". Whoever the government is, it's just a different kind of swine at the trough. The parties in BC have lost touch with the voter. We need new options.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Whatever budget the Liberals present, add on $9 billion in extra spending promises already made by Adrian Dix and you will have the NDP version. Maybe that will influence voter preference a bit more than a fiscally-prudent proposal by the BC Liberals.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

Fisher-Dude wrote: a fiscally-prudent proposal by the BC Liberals.

:dyinglaughing:
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Veovis wrote:Or simply people who have made up their mind no matter what......

Your post is certainly a show of that indeed. Mine was party neutral.

No matter what ? I think there is an abundance of evidence suggesting that the Liberals are long past their "best before date".

Yes I'm anti Liberal but for a bunch of good reasons.

I also pointed out that the NDP also have a problem with their pre-election budgets and there are lots of skeletons in their closet as well.

I agree there are some who will vote Liberal, no matter what. Either because they love the Liberal, who they feel can do no wrong, or because they hate the NDP, and would vote for any party before the NDP. The opposite is also true.

You state "Mine was party neutral", like that was a badge of honor. What would the current govt have to do to cause you to doubt their suitability before you hear their election promises ? We already know from the sale of BC Rail, the implementation of the HST that Liberal election promises have been "problematic".

Veovis wrote:Yet many are very poor at actual math or reading comprehension and rely on rhetoric not fact to make decisions. I read federal and provincial budget summaries for any implications to myself, I would bet a very small population bothers. (many accounting firms provide free summaries on their websites)

Good for you, I'm sure you are very well verses in math. But please explain to me, how reading a fictional document assists anyone in making a decision ?

Veovis wrote:I'll at least see what they propose and see what Dix proposes and see which I feel is less full of BS.

Well for one, Christy says that in 30 years we will have $100,000,000,000.00, in a Prosperity Fund, amassed from LNG royalties, so that, no doubt will tip your scale in favor of the Liberals.

Alberta, has been contributing to their Heritage fund from oil & gas revenues for 37 years and have amassed a whole $16 billion.

I'm very optimistic that the Liberals are very likely, IF ELECTED, to achieve the $100 billion goal. Now remind me,, how many LNG plants do we have up and running ? Oh, yes that's right, NONE.

In my not so humble opinion the time to decide which party we can trust (or dis-trust the least) has passed. Now is when the real lies start to spew out from all parties.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

my5cents wrote:Well for one, Christy says that in 30 years we will have $100,000,000,000.00, in a Prosperity Fund, amassed from LNG royalties, so that, no doubt will tip your scale in favor of the Liberals.

Actually made the Liberals look foolish to me. Never mind the fact that they need to make a functioning budget today and money from 5-30 years from now plays no part.

quote="my5cents"]
No matter what ? I think there is an abundance of evidence suggesting that the Liberals are long past their "best before date"[/quote]

Yes they are, but it sadly doesn't mean the NDP are fresh either. We really have two long expired products that need change.

The fact you are anti-liberal (and fairly so) doesn't of course make you pro NDP, but my desire is to have a party to vote FOR, not just parties I hate enough to vote for something else no matter what.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Veovis wrote:(Liberals past their due date) Yes they are, but it sadly doesn't mean the NDP are fresh either. We really have two long expired products that need change.

The fact you are anti-liberal (and fairly so) doesn't of course make you pro NDP, but my desire is to have a party to vote FOR, not just parties I hate enough to vote for something else no matter what.

I guess all we can say is that, (taking strong note that they aren't in power) we've only learned about a few faux pas committed by the NDP compared to the Liberals, however Tsakumis has alluded to an NDP scandal brewing :

http://alexgtsakumis.com/2013/02/18/later-today/

I completely agree that everyone should vote FOR the best party instead against the one they don't want. In this political climate that poses a problem for a large number. Most anti-Liberals feel any vote not for the NDP is a vote for the Liberals.

There's a long list of things wrong with the NDP, the items are just far less serious. As I said though, they haven't been in power so they've not had the opportunity to make any serious mistakes.

There's a temptation to withhold one's vote. The big problem there is our house rule "if you don't vote, you can't complain".
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

my5cents wrote:There's a temptation to withhold one's vote. The big problem there is our house rule "if you don't vote, you can't complain".

I'll be curious to see what voter turnout is like this election. I wouldn't be shocked at really low numbers due to 1. - no one liking any of the choices. and 2. Pure voter apathy.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I think if everyone only voted FOR the party they wanted, and if that was "none of the above", a spoiled ballot, or a no show at the poles, it would be a very tight vote.

As you say, there is a high number who are pro NDP or Liberal who will vote for "their party" no matter what the party does or doesn't do. Then there are the ones who hate one of the parties and will vote for any party they think can beat "their foe".

Return to “B.C.”