$8,750 for Each Pot Conviction

Post by baconbits »

Seems like a waste of money for simple possession the majority of the time

http://www.theprovince.com/news/cost+ta ... story.html
Veovis
Guru

Re: $8,750 for Each Pot Conviction

Post by Veovis »

It is a waste. Would be nice if people who like pot could show some simple discretion and stop wasting taxpayers money.

You see in my mind the person committing the crime is the guilty party, not the person doing their job in regards to that activity.

Sure the law should be changed, but until it is, show some discretion and responsibility.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Veovis wrote: Sure the law should be changed, but until it is, show some discretion and responsibility.

One day we will teach social and civic responsibility to high school students and Martin Luther King will be required reading.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Veovis wrote:It is a waste. Would be nice if people who like pot could show some simple discretion and stop wasting taxpayers money.

You see in my mind the person committing the crime is the guilty party, not the person doing their job in regards to that activity.

Sure the law should be changed, but until it is, show some discretion and responsibility.

I show discretion by not smoking around the public.
Much the same as I did when I was smoking tobacco.'
I show responsibility by not smoking, discussing or leaving paraphernalia around minors.

I'll never understand why some people are so comfortable bending over a pool table to take their shot.
I'll grab for the bridge every time.
See the parallels?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The $8,000.00 cost to prosecute simple possession charges is more a measure of the tremendous inefficiency of our criminal court system and financial billing by court lawyers enjoying political patronage then it is a true measure of the actual costs involved. The costs inherent in satisfying the rules of evidence requirements set by the judges also plays a large role ... as does the ability of the courts to set court on a police officers time off, regardless of the costs. The tendency of defense lawyers to try to delay trials until after the officer has been transferred can and does result in large and repetitious travel costs as well as overtime costs. What some defense lawyers pull to try to get their clients off is not only expensive but disgraceful in terms of justice.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

The minimum fine for Pot conviction should be $8750.00
If your stupid enough to smoke the junk, you should pay the price to break the law.
Taxpayers shouldn't be paying for idiots to get away with smoking pot.
Nobody needs that stuff.......Nobody!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

UltraViolet wrote:Taxpayers shouldn't be paying for idiots to get away with smoking pot.

Taxpayers shouldn’t have to continue paying the prohibitive cost of enforcing unenforceable, counterproductive and unwanted (by the vast majority of Candians) laws just because there exist moralistic ideologues who think they should be able to tell everyone else how to live their lives – in spite of the huge fiscal costs and social problems created by such arrogant thinking.

p.s. I don’t use marijuana
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

"UltraViolet" wrote: Taxpayers shouldn't be paying for idiots to get away with smoking pot.
steven lloyd wrote:Taxpayers shouldn’t have to continue paying the prohibitive cost of enforcing unenforceable, counterproductive and unwanted (by the vast majority of Candians) laws just because there exist moralistic ideologues who think they should be able to tell everyone else how to live their lives – in spite of the huge fiscal costs and social problems created by such arrogant thinking.

:rate10:

NB: And neither do I.
Chill
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

since nobody else is/has, I'll say it:

We need to legalize all drugs.
Not decriminalize.
Legalize.

Make it legal for any adult to buy any drug of their choice.
It's the ONLY way to control drugs.
It's the ONLY way to regulate it, tax it and keep the criminal element out of the loop.

The money made from sale and tax should then be returned to the system to fund health care and programs to deal with addiction issues and the like.

You will NEVER stop people driven to use hard drugs, from using hard drugs whether legal or not.
You will NEVER stop organized crime from running the show so long as the laws that govern us abstain from taking control.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

I hear what you are saying GA and they have tried this in Holland. It didn't work.
Not afraid to say "It".
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

logicalview wrote:I hear what you are saying GA and they have tried this in Holland. It didn't work.

The Netherlands has decriminalized small amounts of cannabis for personal use. They have not fully legalized and fully regulated the drug trade but have instead adopted more of a non-enforcement model for certain situations. Their legislation reflects a non-moralistic and more pragmatic approach to drug (ab)use and they accept the inevitable existence and use of drugs in modern society. Their model places more emphasis on rehabilitation and harm reduction unlike the North American standard which seems to place enforcement first. I personally have not read a study that disproves the efficacy of their model or that it is more of a failure than the model practiced here. If you have it'd be nice to take a gander at.
Last edited by CorkSoaker on Feb 24th, 2013, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

It is often said that truth is the first casualty of any war
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Veovis wrote:It is a waste. Would be nice if people who like pot could show some simple discretion and stop wasting taxpayers money.

exactly! there are still people around who are freaked out by drugs of any kind, there are people who will phone the police for any reason... have some respect and keep your drug use to your self.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

steven lloyd wrote:Taxpayers shouldn’t have to continue paying the prohibitive cost of enforcing unenforceable, counterproductive and unwanted (by the vast majority of Candians) laws just because there exist moralistic ideologues who think they should be able to tell everyone else how to live their lives – in spite of the huge fiscal costs and social problems created by such arrogant thinking.

That's a wrap.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

If people do not follow the law, the answer does not involve giving law breakers their way. Seems backwards to me.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Laws aren't always right.

Someone mentioned the Netherlands - bad example, unless you want to illustrate exactly how not to do it. Look into Portugal instead.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “B.C.”