Band members get 5K for prison land

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Band members get 5K for prison land

Post by Thinktank »

So?

What is your opinion about that?

I don't have an opinion at this time.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Band members get 5K for prison land

Post by the truth »

i wish somone would give me 5k for doing absolutely nothing,no real shocker here really.
any chance some of them might turn down the money :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:
way to spend my tax money, you could at least kiss me before you f me
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

But no one in Penticton wanted that prison in our back yard.

The people who got the $5,000 have to live every day from now on
with a prison in their back yard.

It's like when Ralph Klein gave every Albertan a whopping $400 dollars.
The oil industry burns off toxic gases that is causing health problems
in Albertans that are only worse in one part of the world - Kazakhstan.
But we don't hear about it that much. It's kind of the oil industry's secret.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Not just penticton there were lots of people who didn't want a jail in their backyard, these band members welcomed the jail and are getting paid for it.

Nobody is going to lease out their property for free.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

If they would have built it just off the reserve, would any non-natives get a cheque?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

zzontar wrote:If they would have built it just off the reserve, would any non-natives get a cheque?

If they owned the land, then yes.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Captain Awesome wrote:If they owned the land, then yes.

The land they are building the jail on belongs to a nation, is there any other nation in the world that pays their citizens when they build a jail on it?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

If the prison had gone to Penticton or Summerland and NOT on Band land, would each citizen have received a cheque? Not likely. The 5 grand each surely is NOT the lease funds itself; that would be additional for years to come. I see it as a bribe to the tribe, simply to buy votes.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

zzontar wrote:The land they are building the jail on belongs to a nation, is there any other nation in the world that pays their citizens when they build a jail on it?

Don't know. Are there any other nations that have collective ownership rights? Besides native bands in Canada and US?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Don't know. Are there any other nations that have collective ownership rights? Besides native bands in Canada and US?

No, but wouldn't it be great if let's say every time an American owned company built a store in Canada we'd all get a cheque? It's pretty easy to figure out why the rest of the world doesn't do that. I wonder if a status native opens up a business on non-native land if they have to issue everyone a cheque?
wonderland

Post by wonderland »

I think its more like when a hwy gets rerouted and a house is in the way so they take some of the land and give the land owner compensation for the land they use .
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

zzontar wrote:No, but wouldn't it be great if let's say every time an American owned company built a store in Canada we'd all get a cheque?

Yes, but you're missing a point. In Canada, we have private land and crown land. When something is built on Crown land, the crown benefits. If it's built on your private land, you benefit. Native bands have collective ownership, so when something is built on their land - they benefit collectively.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

The difference is that instead of pocketing or investing the money they receive through the agreement, they are sharing it with all band members. That isn't a concept that is seen too often.

Can you imagine if they were building this on municipal land, let's say in Penticton, do you think the city would divide the money up equally for all residents? Not a freaking chance.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I'm uncertain what the problem is, it was built on Native soil.

When were they paid this 5K? If it was a week ago, I'll guess it's almost all back in the Government coffers, as it is spent.

As far a jail or penitentiary goes, it will make that community thrive with new jobs. The spin offs are huge and the people of Kelowna missed the boat.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

coffeeFreak wrote:The difference is that instead of pocketing or investing the money they receive through the agreement, they are sharing it with all band members. That isn't a concept that is seen too often.

Can you imagine if they were building this on municipal land, let's say in Penticton, do you think the city would divide the money up equally for all residents? Not a freaking chance.

Why would the city have to divide the money? The land belongs to the City not to the tax payers.
On the Native land, it is their land. A reserve is the property of the Natives as it was part of the said Treaty.

Return to “B.C.”