LNG in BC fantasy or reality

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: LNG in BC fantasy or reality

Post by Rwede »

Earthquakes and tidal waves have nothing to do with fracking.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Rwede wrote:Earthquakes and tidal waves have nothing to do with fracking.

They do if you are a Suzuki groupie.
Damn tanctonic plates. Always breaking in the dishwasher!!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Rwede - not quite. Fracking waste water injection wells have been shown to cause earthquakes. Here is one example: http://www.livescience.com/39406-fracking-wasterwater-injection-caused-ohio-earthquakes.html

But it is important to recognize that it is the waste water injection wells, not the fracking itself, that are the primary problem regarding earthquakes.

Unfortunately BC does allow that dumb practice. http://www.bcogc.ca/node/5837/download

That is one area where I think our government could improve things, by requiring the recycling of ALL fracking waste water. I would think by now that would be a bit of no-brainer, as the last thing needed is for the public to upset about stupid practices.

This has nothing directly to do with BC, or LNG, but I thought it was funny: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exxon-ceo-fracking-not-backyard-030936288.html - the oil and gas industry are always complaining about nimbyism...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

"Livescience.com" is well-known in US circles as being far left in its reporting. Might as well get George+ to write their blather.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Hmmm...very interesting:

Did the BC government fake LNG numbers before last year's election?
By David Broadland, March 2014

Emails between top-level BC civil servants show Premier Clark’s 100,000 LNG jobs were based on dubious assumptions thrown together at the last minute for her 2013 throne speech. Were those civil servants working for the public interest or Clark’s election campaign?

The BC Prosperity Fund got barely a mention in last month’s Speech from the Throne. But a year ago Premier Clark’s apparently far-sighted plan to develop a massive LNG industry that would create “100,000 jobs for BC families” and pump billions into Provincial coffers fuelled the launch of the Liberals’ election campaign. Their compelling clean-energy-and-jobs message brought them from 20 points behind to a surprising victory in last May’s election.

Now, though, Clark’s government appears to be stepping back from all that. The legislation to introduce a new LNG-supportive tax regime has been postponed a second time, for no apparent reason. Although Finance Minister Mike de Jong outlined the tax regime in his February budget speech, his plan to introduce it is vague.

Were the Prosperity Fund and the job claims part of an elaborate election ploy? It wouldn’t be the first time a government made an election promise it didn’t intend to keep.

Read the rest of the story here:
http://www.focusonline.ca/?q=node%2F695
Chill
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 26th, 2014, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Rwede - oh fer cryin out loud.

Just because a particular link has an "outlook" doesn't mean that if you dig a little deeper what they are saying is not true.

Here's another link: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/drilling-and-pumping-wells-spawn-powerful-earthquakes/

And another: http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/study-ties-earthquakes-to-injection-wells-not-fracking-itself/article_b3d5e229-608b-5083-9003-3f732e98bafc.html

And I could find many more if I wanted to. Even the University of Texas agrees that injection wells are a problem.

I want LNG to be success, and if our government continues to allow injection wells, they are setting up for a completely unnecessary problem. Recycling can be done, so why not make it mandatory?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Probably because it's all about profit and all those little things cut into that.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

That's sort of my point.

If the whole process isn't done responsibility many people in BC, myself included, will turn against LNG.

Better to have 80 or 90% of a dollar of profit than 100% of zero.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There have been enough reports of small earthquakes near or at fracking sites to warrant deeper research. Dismissing the possibility of any link out of hand would not be the wisest move. With deniers on one extreme and alarmists on the other, it's important to find some objective middle ground. Serious resource extraction just about always leaves a mess of some sort in its wake, maybe a more reasonable viewpoint would be can the work be done safely and is the tradeoff worth the benefits?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

George+ wrote:FANTASY.
Did the voters get sucked in?

I feel that the voters have no real choice . You have a party lead by a convicted fraud artist , and another lead by one of the greatest verbal manipulators I've ever seen . I remember a time when Politicians would use lies like "No new taxes " and they'd raise the old ones , they say "We won't raise taxes " and they'd create new taxes , and now they lie and say much the same things and they charge fees or rewrite old tax policies and charge more in a different way , "Like this BS two tier system for electricity " which they allowed by controlling the utilities commission . They steal from ICBC coffers so that they have to charge more , they reduce or download debt on municipalities so they look like they are balancing their books by screwing the cities . Collecting tolls on the COQ for ten years past the time assessed , infrastructure in BC has a terrible track record of not being replaced or maintained , ex. Patela bridge , Kelownas bridge , have you ever driven the Hope Princeton hwy ? West side road , should have been redone twenty years ago.
Policy after policy is a money grab , governments are supposed to respect and aide the people , not milk them and make life miserable while they travel around the world using expense accts and legislating massive retirement plans for themselves while tell us , "no soup for you" .hiring more people in the government to assure votes for an election , not one announcement from the government , at any level , ever seems to be a positive for the tax payers
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The reports of earthquakes that I have read in relation to fracking itself are few and sporadic.

I have read several reports of ongoing problems with earthquakes due to the injection wells.

My cursory surmise is that if injection wells are avoided, then 90+% of the earthquake issue is resolved.

The other thing to watch for though, which is groundwater contamination, is directly related to improper fracking practices. The most common improper practice, and the source of most groundwater contamination, is "shallow" fracking.

BC does seem to have an appropriate regulation to avoid that shallow fracking contamination issue. Fracking of wells at depths less than 600 meters is not permitted without a special permit. http://www.energybc.ca/profiles/naturalgas/fracking.html

"Within the act are multiple sections that directly address the issue of hydraulic fracturing. In order to protect freshwater resources, the act forbids fracturing operations at depths of less than 600m without a special permit.15 Additionally, the holder of a well permit must ensure the "hydraulic isolation" of all porous zones within the well.16 What this ensures is that the hydrocarbons in one layer don't mix with saline or non-saline waters of another layer which is where the contamination of aquifers would occur. This also ensures that saline waters in shallow rock layers don't move into fresh water layers thus contaminating the drinking water that way either."

Hate to say it, but it seems most US states where there are problems with groundwater contamination from fracking have one thing in common - Republican governments with a "deregulation" philosophy.
Mr_Mrs_Wolf
Fledgling

Post by Mr_Mrs_Wolf »

Breaking News, well a few days old

China and the USA reache a deal on beef, poultry and LNG. There goes that LNG pipe dream Christy Clark has been promising from sales to China. Looks like she been Trumped.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

a t8dal wave could happen but unprobable . earthquakes can be caused by fracking and is a fact
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

maryjane48 wrote:

a t8dal wave could happen but unprobable . earthquakes can be caused by fracking and is a fact

link to prove you fact. :smt045

Return to “B.C.”