Nanaimo Hells Angel sees criminal charges stayed

jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Re: Nanaimo Hells Angel sees criminal charges stayed

Post by jimsenchuk »

This is all about the courts, the prosecutors(they stalled to many times) and the defense lawyers who stalled the case a couple of times, please read the whole story, you guys are derailing the thread.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Jimsenchuk ...

You are right ... sorry mate
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

Donald G wrote:To Jimsenchuk ...

You are right ... sorry mate

Thanks Donald, no need to apologize m8......man these threads can get derailed quite quickly eh!...lol
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

james-d wrote:The reason judges are elected in the US, Is because they will basically do what the electorate expects them to do. Having Judges appointed is wrong. Judges here answer to no one once appointed at least not with any fear of reprimand. After all,, they were appointed. That would be like addmitting to making a poor appointment. we couldn't have that. Now if you do what your voting public wants you to do, Like actually trying to protect society, By popular demand you will most likely get re-elected as they do in the US, I quess thats why a lot of criminals go to jail in the US. Not like here, Where they get a short all expense paid holiday, Where they are , You guessed it Treated better then our seniors. Then they are set free after their short stay because we don't have enough jails to house them, Pity. But our govt can give away 500 bazillion dollars to help some poor country, that needs our help.LOL that is the biggest joke of all. Harper and ALL crooked polititions should be ashamed!!!

Are you appointing the best of the best or just because he / she is Liberal supporter? It is a problem, not all of the finest lawyers end up being appointed. Just because you know someone shouldn't qualify you to take on such a important position. Therefore that is why if voted in they can be easily removed if they do not cut the mustard, is my line of thinking.

I've seen old Judges who miss evidence because they have fallen asleep. Now that's not Justice.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

If anyone would care to check they would find that each time there is a change in the political party forming the Federal Government, there is a change in the VERY LUCRATIVE designation of being appointed as "Federal Prosecutor". All "drug related" charges are handled by the newly appointed "Federal Prosecutor" of the day. Since most such appointees have little or no initial experience it gives the well experienced defense council a significant advantage when it to comes to dealing with drug charges. Another 'built in' advantage for the criminals and criminal gangs, who always have a significantly experienced lawyer.

I have no idea if that factor played a role in the charges against the Nanaimo Hells Angels but, since it is so common, I would not be at all surprised if it planed a role in the absolutely disgraceful situation.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Donald G wrote:If anyone would care to check they would find that each time there is a change in the political party forming the Federal Government, there is a change in the VERY LUCRATIVE designation of being appointed as "Federal Prosecutor". All "drug related" charges are handled by the newly appointed "Federal Prosecutor" of the day. Since most such appointees have little or no initial experience it gives the well experienced defense council a significant advantage when it to comes to dealing with drug charges. Another 'built in' advantage for the criminals and criminal gangs, who always have a significantly experienced lawyer.

I have no idea if that factor played a role in the charges against the Nanaimo Hells Angels but, since it is so common, I would not be at all surprised if it planed a role in the absolutely disgraceful situation.

yep, here's how my defense lawyer explained it to me. Rookie lawyers often start as prosecutor, they get beat quite often and learn how a case is won then move on to their own practice, after years of successful practice they might get appointed judge.

And yes it must be lucrative as I know the prosecutor in my last case also defends criminal matters.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To cutter7 ...

Lard Jaysus cutter7, I can't believe that we completely agreed on something. There is hope for the world after all. Welcome aboard mate.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Donald G wrote:To cutter7 ...

Lard Jaysus cutter7, I can't believe that we completely agreed on something. There is hope for the world after all. Welcome aboard mate.

haha,, there has to be middle ground somewhere...
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

The post by Steven is true, Thats why we should have elected judges. NOT appointed. Elected judges would try to do what the POPULATION wants, Not what the govt wants. They would work hard to please the electorate. The ones who do their JOB would get re-elected , Makes sense to me, Way better then the system we have which does not work. To our judges it's just a job like any other. Gee I wonder why we elect MLAs maybe we should just let the prime minister appoint anyone he wants to represent us. Then I am sure there would never be a problem. Lets have elections for judges, let's hear what their thoughts are on justice and how it is metered out. Then we can decide for our selves.From what we hear in the media, I am certain there are a lot, and I mean a lot that would have [preferred harsher sentences then we have seen handed out in the last 20 years here in Canada.Again the judges are told Don't incarcerate unless there is no other choice, Not enough jails. Those are the STATS that I saw put out by the federal govt.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

james-d wrote:The post by Steven is true, Thats why we should have elected judges. NOT appointed. Elected judges would try to do what the POPULATION wants, Not what the govt wants. They would work hard to please the electorate. The ones who do their JOB would get re-elected , Makes sense to me, Way better then the system we have which does not work. To our judges it's just a job like any other. Gee I wonder why we elect MLAs maybe we should just let the prime minister appoint anyone he wants to represent us. Then I am sure there would never be a problem. Lets have elections for judges, let's hear what their thoughts are on justice and how it is metered out. Then we can decide for our selves.From what we hear in the media, I am certain there are a lot, and I mean a lot that would have [preferred harsher sentences then we have seen handed out in the last 20 years here in Canada.Again the judges are told Don't incarcerate unless there is no other choice, Not enough jails. Those are the STATS that I saw put out by the federal govt.

But yet they are mandated to put people in jail for having 6 pot plants, but not 5 plants.

Pssst...i know this is off topic, but i just had to put it in.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To james-d ...

There is a lot of truth in what you say, but electing judges has a serious down side too. Judges running for election, just like any other politician, need money. They can become 'obliged' to those who provide the money. It cam have an effect on the outcome of judicial decisions such as whether certain evidence is admissible, sentencing and the outcome of trials themselves.
Logistically it is only one step away from becoming an ongoing popularity contest ... trial by media.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The downside that worries me over elected judges is in the notion of "the tyranny of the majority".

This is, I gather, quite common in the US. Blacks and Hispanics are given much harsher sentences for the same crimes in many parts of the US.

Theoretically, appointed judges selected on the basis competence should be better. Unfortunately, the process gets politicized. And the appointments are, I believe, permanent.

Probably a better balance would be if the Judiciary were more separated from the general political process.

How to get there? Perhaps a national selection committee, elected every 4(8?) years, with one of the candidacy conditions being that one may not have been an active member of a political party for 5(?) years prior to putting your name forth. Plus appointments to the judiciary should be for a set reviewable term contract. Say a 7 year contract? Reviewable by the selection committee at the end of the 7 yrs, with renewal subject to competency review etc.

That's just a quick "stab" at the issue, but somehow the system has to be improved, and judicial impartiality needs to bolstered along with competency of the system.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dogspoiler wrote:It seems that the people that are being very overpaid to operate our legal system should be locked up for fraud. They have no morals grounds on which to recieve pay for this type of incompetent bungling.

If you only knew. Crown lawyer vs. defence lawyers.... LOL.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

In the meantime another criminal from a criminal gang gets away with another criminal act. In reality, what is the difference whether a judge or lawyer lets a criminal go free because they are bought off or because they have made rules that cause such injustices to routinely result? The end product to the police and society is the same. Why do the police even bother to investigate crime anymore?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It is evident that, given the continuing stupidity that is taking place in our criminal court system, society will have to find another more effective way of dealing with criminal gangs, just as British Columbia has found a far more effective way of dealing with drinking drivers. It does not matter whether judges and/or lawyers have been bought off or passed rules of evidence that frees criminals and criminal gangs without a trial. The result is the same ... the guilty go free as a result of a judicial decision. That is reprehensible. Theoretical law vs reality.

Return to “B.C.”