BC Ferries Denies Passage for a Dime.

NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC Ferries Denies Passage for a Dime.

Post by NAB »

Ya, I was just reviewing the TOA to see if it was possible, Doesn't appear to address that specifically..

http://www.bcferries.com/files/AboutBCF ... itions.pdf

Don't see why it wouldn't be possible with just a phone call and a credit card, but I will check with my daughter to see if she knows how it works.

Nab
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

NAB wrote:Don't see why it wouldn't be possible with just a phone call and a credit card, but I will check with my daughter to see if she knows how it works.

Actually it does appear that you can, so that is a good question.
BC Ferries Experience™ Card users may load money onto their BC Ferries Experience™ Card online at http://www.bcferries.com, by phone via the BC Ferries Customer Service Centre or in person at participating BC Ferries Terminal Administration Offices and Ticket Booths.

Perhaps she didn't have the money herself until the Bank opened, or you have to be the card owner or something, I don't know. That would certainly have helped the situation, if it were an option, one would think. Still doesn't excuse BC Ferries though, at least as far as I'm concerned.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

NAB wrote:Gotta wonder though why the mother put the money in a bank account her daughter could access, rather than just topping up her daughter's card directly?

krocky wrote:Can you do that..?? Don't forget this is a company who's system can't override, or top up, or take different amounts, LOL.. So probably can't do it on line.. I bet they need the card, kind of like a Timmy's card.

Yup. Turns out it is actually quite easy off line. Just phone the BC Ferries Service Centre (toll free number) and talk with an agent, supply the info they request, have your credit card handy to charge it to, done! :-)

Had they done that instead of going the bank route, the daughter wudda been on the next ferry outta there :-)

Nab
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

NAB wrote:Yup. Turns out it is actually quite easy off line. Just phone the BC Ferries Service Centre (toll free number) and talk with an agent, supply the info they request, have your credit card handy to charge it to, done! :-) Had they done that instead of going the bank route, the daughter wudda been on the next ferry outta there :-)

I'll concede that, however, it is possible that the mother does not have a credit card. We tend to "assume" that these days everyone has a credit card and a computer etc. I know for sure that isn't true as, in my business, I run into people every day who don't own either.

In any case, BC Ferries has admitted they were wrong and apologized. Hopefully they have learned something from this dreadful mistake.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Yup, no question life gets a bit difficult and inconvenient these days unless you have a credit card (and use it wisely). Hopefully the mother and daughter involved have learned something from this situation too.

Cheers
Nab
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

simnut wrote:A scenario....

A bus driver hits the last stop in town before leaving for a run from say...Duncan to Chemainus (an hour or so bike ride). The bike rack on the bus is full and waiting at the last stop is a teenager or 20 year old woman with a bike. The bus driver has to leave that passenger at that stop because the bus can only take 2 bikes...... Now the young lady or teenager has to ride their bike home..in the dark and part of the trip on busy roads.....dangerous!!! Could be a mugger or rapist out there! Is the bus driver responsible?????????

You "bleeding hearts" would say, just put the bike inside....hardly anyone on the bus...who can it hurt. Well, if something happens...the bus has to stop suddenly, the bike moves and hits a passenger. NOW who is responsible?????? Yup!!!!! The bus driver....and probably will lose their job and deal with a court situation, along with BC Transit (who has VERY strict rules...oh....such as BC Ferries....for liability)!!!!!!

Is it the bus drivers responsibility to make sure that person is going to be ok if they leave that person at the stop? No, the bus drivers responsibility is the bus and its passengers.

You're comparing apples with oranges. Your bike scenario is a safety issue - not letting some one on a boat because they are short fare is not a safety/security or even a liability issue - its a customer service issue, not neccessairly the employee involved but most definetly a corporate problem. Back to the bus and the bike - another option many people use is to leave their bike at the stop so in your scenario neither the bus driver or BC Transit or anyone is leaving anyone behind but they are given an option.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

The president and CEO of BC Ferries says more flexibility could have been shown in the case of a 20-year-old customer who was stranded in Nanaimo overnight because she was 10 cents short in payment for a fare.

Do the employees know this?
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

simnut wrote: Do the employees know this?

Well if they don't for what we, the tax payers, pay them they should be fired..!!!
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

krocky wrote:Well if they don't for what we, the tax payers, pay them they should be fired..!!!

Did you ever think that maybe the "company brass" has "neglected" to let them know this......only coming out with this now BECAUSE of this incident? I work for a company where policy is everything...do everything by the book (policy) and you won't get fired. Strictly liability driven! Do something not dictated by policy.......get nervous! I'm thinking the same in this case.
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

The attendant should be reprimanded at the very least!
His/her behaviour shows a severe lack of judgement. If the person is unable to weigh bending the rules for $.10 vs. the possible negative publicity or the humanity factor they have a serious problem when it comes to making minor decisions.
Would YOU want an employee like this working for you?
It goes beyond following procedure; what about the "human factor"? Doing a $.10 random act of kindness for someone?
If they put policy before a thin dime I feel sorry for them and again, who wants an employee like this?
I see this as the most disgusting customer service ever!
At the very least a supervisor should have been contacted.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Clipper wrote:The attendant should be reprimanded at the very least!
His/her behaviour shows a severe lack of judgement. If the person is unable to weigh bending the rules for $.10 vs. the possible negative publicity or the humanity factor they have a serious problem when it comes to making minor decisions.
Would YOU want an employee like this working for you?
It goes beyond following procedure; what about the "human factor"? Doing a $.10 random act of kindness for someone?
If they put policy before a thin dime I feel sorry for them and again, who wants an employee like this?
I see this as the most disgusting customer service ever!
At the very least a supervisor should have been contacted.

Ok, tell me what you would have done......
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

So given the terms of this fare card, how do you spend off the remaining amount that she did have on the card? If she didn't want another $60 worth of fares then is she supposed to pay full amount for single ticket even though she has a credit with BC Ferry's? sounds like a scam to me.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Frequent ferry travellers get these reloadable cards because of the fare discounts available via using them on participating routes. BC Ferries on the other hand get to sit on a pool of customer's money and use it without paying any interest on it.

I suppose some might consider that a win/win situation, and a convenience issue? Of course, the customer has total control over how much money they keep on the card and whether they use it or not. Still, in most cases the people who have and use these cards seriously aren't in the category of keeping minimal amounts on them and worrying about operating so close to the line that ten cents (or even 60 bucks) could put a trip in jeopardy.

Edit to add: By the way, I seem to recall that every time you use your card you get a report as to funds remaining. Fares are clearly posted, so it would seem to me someone would have all the information needed as to whether they could afford the fare or not before even approaching a ticket booth.

Nab
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Beerhunter341 wrote:So given the terms of this fare card, how do you spend off the remaining amount that she did have on the card? If she didn't want another $60 worth of fares then is she supposed to pay full amount for single ticket even though she has a credit with BC Ferry's? sounds like a scam to me.

Ask the corporation, not the employee running the ticket booth..........
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

This reminds me of the whole assured boarding pass debacle a couple of years back. They spend millions upon millions trying to change their image to be more tourist friendly, but when it comes to actual customer service and effeiceincy, the buck (or dime in this case) seems to stop here.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “B.C.”