BC Ferries: Giving away $1mil in bonuses to employees

Jo
Slot 16

Re: BC Ferries: Giving away $1mil in bonuses to employees

Post by Jo »

The busiest route in the Washington state system — with over 6 million passengers a year — is between Seattle and Bainbridge Island. The return fare: $34.42.

Yes, it’s a shorter run. But check the websites of two ferry systems and you’ll see the fares in Washington state seem to be lower right across the board.

Gee, I wonder why?

Having ridden the Washington ferries on more than one occasion, I'd say that a) it isn't that much cheaper, and b) it's cheaper because the boats are very barebones. I personally don't mind barebones, but most people who have ridden both prefer the BC Ferries 'experience'.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

To compare apples with grapes, Quebec also have a ferry service run by the government.

As an example, for a Rivière-du-Loup to St-Simeon 3h crossing on the St. Lawrence, it costs only $42 for a single occupancy vehicle (one way) or $6 for a bicycle:

http://traverserdl.com/francais/tarifs#vehicules

In BC the crossing from the mainland to the island is only 1h and costs much much more.

Crossing from Quebec City to Levis (10 minutes) is $7.75 including the driver for a vehicle and $3 for a pedestrian or bicycle, or unlimited mensual crossing for pedestrian or bicycle for $32/month:
http://traversiers.com/traverses/quebec ... php#Tarifs.

There's even some routes that are free:
http://traversiers.com/traverses/lisle- ... php#Tarifs

Their president earns $139,700 / year + $13,000 pension (see page 59 of the report). The whole administration earns $500,000. Comparable to Washington State.

http://traversiers.com/medias/pdf_rappo ... apport.pdf
Last edited by matai on Aug 25th, 2013, 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Now those are awesome rates. I think people would travel a lot more on the BC Ferries if we had rates like that. Fat chance that's ever going to happen, though.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Jo wrote:Now those are awesome rates. I think people would travel a lot more on the BC Ferries if we had rates like that. Fat chance that's ever going to happen, though.

I just added the renumeration :-)

Now if BC would do the same but Christy is busy in the Okanagan so maybe next election we could ask her what she thinks of a big clean up of the different BC corporations...

On another note, $100 is a small price to pay to go see Jo.
Last edited by matai on Aug 25th, 2013, 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

In BC the crossing from the mainland to the island is only 1h and costs much much more.

What island?
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

GrooveTunes wrote:What island?

hawaii
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Jo wrote:Now those are awesome rates. I think people would travel a lot more on the BC Ferries if we had rates like that. Fat chance that's ever going to happen, though.

Your choice on how to pay for it. Quebec has the highest income tax rate in Canada.

Example: on a $60,000 income, you pay $14,863 in BC and $18,684 in Quebec. How many times can you travel to VI for $4,000 in extra fares?

I'd rather pay BC's tax rates and a few bucks more in ferry fares if I ever go to Van Island.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

True, Quebec pays a whole lot more direct "income" tax than BC'ers. BUT:

-They don't pay "enviromental fees", "eco fees", and "reclycing fees" on everything they buy.

Simple example: You want to buy a 24 pack of water priced at $3.99? Guess how much your bill will be. Yes, you're right. $3.99

Same in BC? $3.99 + recycling fee + 0.10$ consignation per bottle = $8.
How much for beer in Quebec? $21.99 for 24. How much in BC for the same thing? $50. = over $25 more tax in BC than Quebec.

How much for day care in Quebec? $7/day per kid. How much in BC? $40+

How much for electricity in Quebec? 5cent a kilowatt. How much in BC? More than double! Over a year, BC'ers are spending a couple thousands more dollar than Quebecers on basic expenses.

How much for a house in Quebec? About 200-250K. How much in BC? Over 500k.

Average wage in the Okanagan: 30k/year. How much in Quebec? Over 40k /year.

Both BC and Quebec are outrageously taxed. BC simply does it differently. Also, it's true, Quebec benefits from equalization payments, BC doesn't. Maybe we should think about keeping our money here.
Last edited by matai on Aug 26th, 2013, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Who pays $4,000 per year in recycling fees?

If Quebec is so wonderful, why do you live here?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Rwede wrote:Who pays $4,000 per year in recycling fees?

If Quebec is so wonderful, why do you live here?

4.5 million people paying a couple dollars here and there on most of their purchases brings a lot of cash in BC's wallet.
Last edited by matai on Aug 26th, 2013, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

And Quebec is a polluted cesspool of plastic bottles while BCers keep our province clean. Recycling does work, ya know!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Rwede wrote:And Quebec is a polluted cesspool of plastic bottles while BCers keep our province clean. Recycling does work, ya know!

They know it exists, that's why they recycle them. They simply don't need to charge for people to do it.

I'm looking at the Pacific ocean with my long views, what do I see? The plastic island!

Last edited by matai on Aug 26th, 2013, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

I like how some people do that when confronted to the truth or simply say "Just move if it's better elsewhere", instead of finding solutions to make it better here:

Well, that was very entertaining, I got to go enjoy your day everyone!
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

The company can just give their employees a $500.00 year end "thanks for not killing anyone this year" bonus if they want. Why bother embeding it in some useless fitness incentive bs. If fitness is such an important part of the job they should have to meet fitness requirements and pass a fitness test - or hit the road ( walk the plank ).

...just like we used to.

And yes, the content of Nabs post is outrageous.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

mathieu wrote:
They know it exists, that's why they recycle them. They simply don't need to charge for people to do it.

Yeah, they get the money to pay for their prgrams from magical money trees.

Goodness gracious. What percentage of the population is naive about how governments fund programs?

Return to “B.C.”