Salmon Confidential

BelieveNothing
Übergod

Salmon Confidential

Post by BelieveNothing »

Well worth the watch:

Salmon Confidential

Salmon Confidential is a new film on the government cover up of what is killing BC’s wild salmon. When biologist Alexandra Morton discovers BC’s wild salmon are testing positive for dangerous European salmon viruses associated with salmon farming worldwide, a chain of events is set off by government to suppress the findings. Tracking viruses, Morton moves from courtrooms, into British Columbia’s most remote rivers, Vancouver grocery stores and sushi restaurants. The film documents Morton’s journey as she attempts to overcome government and industry roadblocks thrown in her path and works to bring critical information to the public in time to save BC’s wild salmon. The film provides surprising insight into the inner workings of government agencies, as well as rare footage of the bureaucrats tasked with managing our fish and the safety of our food supply.

Link to video:
http://vimeo.com/61301410

Link to website:
http://www.salmonconfidential.ca/
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Re: Salmon Confidential

Post by BelieveNothing »

This would seem to me a very serious issue.

Has anyone watched the video, if so, what are your thoughts?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To BelieveNothing ...

There is a significant amount of information in the video that causes the viewer to attempt to weigh the many aspects inherent in salmon fish farming as opposed to keeping the wild salmon option alive in its present form.

Just as with human populations, the movement of fish that have evolved a hereditary resistance to a given virus, into a new population of fish who have never been exposed to that particular virus, can result in a fatal die-off in the new population. Smallpox brought to North and South America by Europeans, where it was introduced into native populations without any resistance is a classic example.

I can understand DIFO resisting the information of people like Dr Kristi Miller, given the financial ramifications of having to admit to new diseases being present in the fish farm fish, and being conveyed to wild salmon through exposure along their migration routes. In my opinion the government (DFO) seem far more interested in the 'world trade' aspect of the collective 'salmon' issue than the protection of the wild salmon as a species or the affect depleted salmon runs would have on the secondary industries associated to them.

What the effect, if any, on those who eat the salmon, over the long term will be, including humans is not discussed.

One thing that history, from the beginning of time proves; after the initial die-off the wild salmon population will bounce back in its present or mutated form from near extinction and continue as a species, just as humans have done over and over again throughout history ... until the salmon habitat is no longer conducive to salmon being born, living, breeding and dying.

Since it IS possible to clearly identify the DNA of almost any virus to determine if it is in fact the same virus as that previously noted in another part of the world, a slightly mutated form of that previously identified virus or a new virus unrelated to those previously identified I fail to understand the 'apparent' confusion on the part of the scientists involved, especially DFO, who I would expect to be on top of the issue.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

It has been well documented that open net salmon farms have a serious impact on wild stocks, not just here but in Scotland and other places.

Closed containment is hopefully the future of salmon farming. One example: http://www.namgis.bc.ca/CCP/Pages/K'udas-Project-Media-Coverage.aspx This initiative by a first nations group is a good thing for all except the existing open net players.

The "fishfrom" project in Scotland offers a really good model - instead of catching anchovies etc (which can be used directly for food), they plan to farm ragworms (feeding them byproducts) and feed the salmon on ragworms. http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/dec/17/scottish-salmon-fishing

Completing the loop, the "sludge" from closed containment salmon farms can be safely used as fertilizer for some soil types. http://www.iuss.org/19th%20WCSS/Symposium/pdf/0574.pdf

There is potential for salmon farming to become one of the most complete sytems for food production around, byproducts from food processing to ragworms to salmon and then fertilizer for farms. Essentially taking waste out of the environment, turning it into food, and then improving farm yields...

Now there's a research project that government funding would be well spent on.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

Both posts I found very interesting and informative.

I understand why the current fish farmers do not want this information to get out, they have much to lose.

My only concern is that the Salmon themselves, humans, all wildlife and the ecosystem are as healthy, alive and thriving as they naturally should be.

I cannot see any humane "reason" why the above statement can not be our reality.

With Industry and policies such as we see in the world of greed today I am surprised every living thing on the planet is not highly toxic.(maybe it is)

Closed water fish farms sound far safer to me, though I have not done any research into the systems available for use and in the right world our wild Salmon should be more than enough.

Return to “B.C.”