14%
Maybe - It should be like driving while impaired as far as a penalty goes
48%

Total votes: 21

dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Let the punishment fit the crime!

Post by dogspoiler »

HoboJo wrote:Not fool proof but the newer phones often have GPS. Simply code the cell towers to refuse connections or terminate connections to moving phones?

As a plus, public transit commuters won't have to listen to others "private" calls. Often loud, always inappropriate.

How will that work out for the folks with perfectly legal hands free devices. Not to mention that almost all traffic accidents are reported by cellphone.
Black Dogs Matter
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Cell phone immobilizers. Once you step in the car, phone shuts down. Goes into airplane mode and won't return to functional until ignition is off.

Over simple? maybe. I don't really have a clue if that could be made to work but I bet someone out there does and if it could, what a difference.

Make it mandatory on all cars starting now.

In Russia, it apparently is mandatory that all cars have dash cams in an effort to stop insurance fraud.

Why then can't we do something to end this stupidity? Why are we more concerned with human rights violations than we are with preservation of life?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

The problem with that is it could hurt someone in the end, in some sorts of emergency situations. Small chance, but it could happen. (remember, this is a forum where, for many posters, small chances outweigh everything else - as seen in the ecstacy thread, for example. lol)

Additionally, the human gene pool needs chlorine.
Your bias suits you.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Its a shame if we took from everyone to fix the idiot population, best we take their stuff away and let them take update courses for their rights back on the road then They pay instead of us all.
Seems our thinking to fix something is we must all pay the higher price.
I hate to say let them get caught and then deal with but its the only way so as not to make others have less who would respect it. The younger generation is most to blame and some business types like realtors and such but if we dealt with a heavy hand on those offenders they might think twice next time and maybe others would imagine what it would be like to be without their car and cell phone and taking courses when they hear how those idiots liked it so much.
It can be done, here is an example, my dad always kept his hand gun in a secret spot with it unlocked and one bullet near by, (a feeling of protection we are not allowed), He knew no one would find it and hurt themselves but he got robbed. He confronted the robbers as they were leaving his kitchen and out the back door. He didnt rush them because he thought they might have his gun, they did.
While reporting it and dealing with it he was also learning how he would pay for this crime as well. He was sent on a course about fire arms safety and took a fine and something else, cant remember cos it was quite a while back, he now locks it up, he was the one robbed. He had to pay too so why cant these people lose their car, phone and take courses on proper driving to make them a more respectful person?
We forget that driving is a priviliage, not a right. Nothing says you are good at it and should be allowed to do it just because and we do promise to pay attention and do right by the rules and signs. We take a test and no where on that test do they ask us to drive with phones or other toys in our hands to see how good we are at it. If we picked up a phone the test would be written off.
Throw it in the back seat if you cant let it ring in your pocket and go to answering machine.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

HoboJo wrote:Not fool proof but the newer phones often have GPS. Simply code the cell towers to refuse connections or terminate connections to moving phones?

As a plus, public transit commuters won't have to listen to others "private" calls. Often loud, always inappropriate.

It would be great if while moving a phone would not function. However, if I'm a passenger, on bus, vehicle or plane should I not be able to use it?

No real answers but we need to have people stop it!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Roadster wrote:Even if you could a person could use his/her spouses or even thier kid's phone or get one under those peoples names. I can easily buy two or three different phones with all different nuumbers on my same account and give them out to family or even employees.

You could make the same argument about the ignition interlock on vehicles for impaired driving. They can still drive their spouses car. But if they get caught?
And why can't people be banned from owning/possessing a cell phone for a period of time? We take away the right to computers and internet from hackers and kiddy diddlers all the time.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

My point as well, Ken7. I have used my phone many times while being a passenger or had my passenger use it especially in a case of finding an address. We should not pay for the idiot side of the population, those caught should lose the phone and their car for a few days. Lose their licence till they take a re course on driving. Driving courses should also include drivers etiquette and show cases where people who didnt behave have had serious accidents on the road.
I remember taking drivers ed just because I was told I would be a much better driver if I did. I feel like I am and have never had even a fender bender with anyone, even avoided someone clipping me several times.
It tought defensive driving as well as the rules and signs. My instructor taught us that paying attention to stuff like the sterio during high traffic was an idiot thing to do. He was pretty strong about making us understand what not to do and he said its because once we leave his class he has to be on the same road as us. Its why he chose the job, felt he could save himself if he took the time to do his job right and I get it.
Now we have phones in cars and they scare me. I have had one in my car since they were available and never once used it when my hands were supposed to be on the wheel. Both are supposed to be ready for the wheel even if you only have one on it and of course they teach both hands on.
Fine them and make them work hard to get back on the road, make them pay before someone's life is taken and that family pays with loss. How many times to we say to a family of a good friend, or a buddy at work,,, Sorry for your loss? Lets not be the reason for that. Throw it in the back seat.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

twobits wrote:
You could make the same argument about the ignition interlock on vehicles for impaired driving. They can still drive their spouses car. But if they get caught?
And why can't people be banned from owning/possessing a cell phone for a period of time? We take away the right to computers and internet from hackers and kiddy diddlers all the time.

Yes, and those caught using another vehicle after having an ignition lock thingy installed should lose their licence for life, might just drive anyway,,, then serious jail time.
I agree, somehow take away stuff from the offender, make life as tough as possible but taking a phone only means soneone's kid might lose his to his parent, they are easy to get so again make him/her re do the course and if they had to do it then maybe they would think twice next time. If not then remove road privilage for ever and jail time if thats ignored. It has to toughen up now before we get killed.
Just like drunks who Think they drive more defensively while intoxicated,,, we know how you drive, drunk or busy talking on a phone, we are behind you watching you swerve and do stupid things. Think about it.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Ken7 wrote:It would be great if while moving a phone would not function. However, if I'm a passenger, on bus, vehicle or plane should I not be able to use it?

You're not supposed to have your phone on while on a plane (hence airplane mode). Although I never could figure out why, since the frequencies used are totally different.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Who thinks that having anything in your car that's proven to be as distracting as talking on the phone should also have a similar fine?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

zzontar wrote:Who thinks that having anything in your car that's proven to be as distracting as talking on the phone should also have a similar fine?

I'll stick my neck way out....a female passenger trying to out whit the GARMIN and tell you where to turn!!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

zzontar wrote:Who thinks that having anything in your car that's proven to be as distracting as talking on the phone should also have a similar fine?

Let's see......

Eating/drinking drive thru goodies
Changing the CD
Putting on lipstick
Lighting a cig
Dealing with a child
Dog on the lap
Eyes on the GPS
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

twobits wrote:
Let's see......

Eating/drinking drive thru goodies
Changing the CD
Putting on lipstick
Lighting a cig
Dealing with a child
Dog on the lap
Eyes on the GPS

Exactly, so where do you draw the line?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

There is the rub. People are not demanding fines for eating a McMuffin on the way to work yet the act of holding a phone to ones ear (NOT TEXTING) should lead to huge fines, DL suspensions etc. It's almost hypocritical. Too bad one can't google "accidents caused by spilled hot coffee vs. holding a phone to your ear".

KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Ken7 wrote:It would be great if while moving a phone would not function. However, if I'm a passenger, on bus, vehicle or plane should I not be able to use it?

underscore wrote:You're not supposed to have your phone on while on a plane (hence airplane mode). Although I never could figure out why, since the frequencies used are totally different.

It's because they want people paying attention to their little spiel at the beginning of the flight about how to put your seat belt on and at the end about how to get off the plane. Nothing more. There is nothing about a cell phone's function that affects the instrumentation or function of an airplane. Nothing.

It's just a little manipulation of the masses by baffling them with BS.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “B.C.”