14%
Maybe - It should be like driving while impaired as far as a penalty goes
48%

Total votes: 21

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Let the punishment fit the crime!

Post by Ken7 »

Use whatever term you feel is appropriate.
Should it be desperate situations call for desperate measures?
Or could it be a statement that suggests the punishment should suit the crime.
Either one could be functional when discussing the issue of impaired driving.
Only this time, the impaired drivers being referenced are not those who have been consuming alcohol or drugs.
This time, the reference is to distracted drivers, or more clearly, drivers who are focusing more on their cellphones and text messages than they are on driving.
It was revealed two weeks ago there are now more highway accidents causing death due to distracted phone-using drivers than there are by drinking drivers.
There are more collisions being caused by phone calls and messages.
So on this subject, we suggest that logic should enter the picture somewhere within the justice system.
If an impaired driving charge is levied due to alcohol, the courts generally assess a fine of $1,000 plus costs and the loss of driving privileges for one year for first-time offenders.
If the distracted phone-using driver is charged and found guilty, might we be so bold as to suggest that a similar penalty be assessed?
It is obvious that a $280 fine isn’t cutting it in the cour room, even if the matter gets that far.
If you’re caught by police using the hands-on phone while driving, should you expect to pay a $1,000 fine and lose that driver’s licence for a year?
On the surface that may seem to be a pretty drastic measure but so is death.
There is no need for anyone on this good green Earth to be so wired in every minute that they need to respond to a cellular phone call or message while driving. We’re sorry, but there is no emergency call for you that can’t wait another 25 seconds. That would give you enough time to pull over and focus on the call, if you believe it is that important.
The No. 1 cause of fatalities in Saskatchewan right now according to those who keep track of statistics, is distracted drivers. It’s not booze, not icy roads, not faulty brakes. It’s drivers who have become obsessed with their phones, apps and message boards.
If it requires a stiff penalty to encourage a culture shift, then perhaps the loss of an operator’s licence for a year for the first offence, and measured increases for repeat offenders, might be the answer.
The solution needs to be found before more lives are lost.
The cellphone is not our slave master, it is meant to be a working tool, not an obsession. The sooner we become aware of that simple fact, the better off we’ll be … at least on the highway.

I found this in another paper but felt it worth passing on.

Your thoughts are?
TMixer
Board Meister

Re: Let the punishment fit the Crime!

Post by TMixer »

I like the $1000 fine, but loss of license for a year seems like a little much. Sort of like taking an AR-15 squirrel hunting.
Socially anxious, anxiously social
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Well, if smaller fines aren't getting the message across then the solution seems obvious doesn't it? I'm surprised, no, appalled how often I still see drivers with a phone pressed to their heads even with all the publicity this issue has got so far.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Perhaps if the offending item - the cellphone - were confiscated for a period of time; the law might have more impact? I would not be against raising the fine however.
I haven't failed until I quit.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Let the punishment fit the crime!

Post by dogspoiler »

As I understand it, hands free devices are legal. Perhaps a higher fine and proof of obtaining a hands free device would help.
Black Dogs Matter
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

The size of the penalty isn't a deterrent, no matter how large. That's been proven time and again. It only serves to satisfy an emotional reaction.
Your bias suits you.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

The number of people here in the Central Okanagan who are out there everyday, in all traffic conditions, talking on their cell phones and texting while driving is unbelievable. They are out there at all hours of the day. I think that a fine for a first offence of $500.00 to $1000.00 and the requirement for the driver to complete an approved defensive driving course at their own expense would be appropriate. A second offence should be a higher fine and vehicle impoundment for 1 week to 30 days. The accident stats in relation to distracted driving are very alarming and the cost in lives lost and in healthcare for persons injured in distracted driving accidents demands some pretty significant consequences for those caught. I can't understand how these people think that their meaningless communications are so important as to warrant them endangering the lives of others on the road. These people can't even lay claim to the defence that the alcohol they consumed affected their judgement!!!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Lady tehMa wrote:Perhaps if the offending item - the cellphone - were confiscated for a period of time; the law might have more impact?

And right on the spot. Any first year psyc student will tell you that for punishment to be effective it must be immediate (at least timely, but immediate is best). It also needs to be relevant. Taking the phone away right then and there would be perfect – followed by a Court appearance to explain to the Judge why you think the rules don’t apply to you and a significant fine :o)
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

steven lloyd wrote:And right on the spot. Any first year psyc student will tell you that for punishment to be effective it must be immediate (at least timely, but immediate is best). It also needs to be relevant. Taking the phone away right then and there would be perfect – followed by a Court appearance to explain to the Judge why you think the rules don’t apply to you and a significant fine :o)

I think this might actually be more effective to some people than a monetary fine, however to see a small flaw, what happens when someone proves that the removal of device created privacy violations and a larger monetary penalty than what the fine was and then file a counter suit for said reasons.

Certainly seems silly, but wouldn't be surprising to me.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

As I put on my flame proof suit......sorry but I don't have a problem with people talking on a cell phone while they drive. I don't think the act of putting a device up to your ear and having a conversation is that much different than sipping a Timmies and talking to a passenger in the seat next to you. Other than only having one hand on the wheel, what is the big deal. And if you are honest with yourself, how often do you drive with only one hand on the wheel anyway? Sound quality of hands free sucks too.
Now, having said that, nothing pizzes me off more than seeing people read or send txt messages while driving. Am all in favour of big fines and even prohibition of device ownership for 3 to 6 months. Can you imagine the withdrawl symptoms lol. To do that one must take their eyes off the road and while I have no stats to back, would surmise that the bulk of distracted driving accidents are caused by texting and not phone conversations.

ETA-I would even go so far as to include placing a phone call while driving should be punished as eyes are on the keypad and not the road. The simple act of a driver looking at their phone and making keystrokes should be the infraction, not holding it to ones ear.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
TMixer
Board Meister

Post by TMixer »

twobits wrote:As I put on my flame proof suit......sorry but I don't have a problem with people talking on a cell phone while they drive. I don't think the act of putting a device up to your ear and having a conversation is that much different than sipping a Timmies and talking to a passenger in the seat next to you. Other than only having one hand on the wheel, what is the big deal. And if you are honest with yourself, how often do you drive with only one hand on the wheel anyway? Sound quality of hands free sucks too.
Now, having said that, nothing pizzes me off more than seeing people read or send txt messages while driving. Am all in favour of big fines and even prohibition of device ownership for 3 to 6 months. Can you imagine the withdrawl symptoms lol. To do that one must take their eyes off the road and while I have no stats to back, would surmise that the bulk of distracted driving accidents are caused by texting and not phone conversations.

ETA-I would even go so far as to include placing a phone call while driving should be punished as eyes are on the keypad and not the road. The simple act of a driver looking at their phone and making keystrokes should be the infraction, not holding it to ones ear.

I honestly do see the point you're making and don't totally disagree, but in the end, people have already proven many times that if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile, so I don't mind the whole thing being off-limits. It ends any confusion.
Socially anxious, anxiously social
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

twobits wrote:I don't think the act of putting a device up to your ear and having a conversation is that much different than sipping a Timmies and talking to a passenger in the seat next to you

I was hit on my motorcycle last year by a 20-something who had a cell phone glued to his right ear. He executed an illegal lane change (attempted to turn straight from the left-hand lane into a driveway on the right-hand side). He didn't turn his head, and I'm pretty sure if his hand and elbow weren't in the way, he would have noticed me in his mirror - I could see his face, albeit obstructed by his arm.

Having the phone glued to your ear may not be as distracting as texting or dialling - but it still causes a severe hindrance and a loss of care and control. One that can be solved by spending less than $20 at Walmart for an el-cheapo bluetooth earpiece.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I like the idea of a huge fine, and taking courses on road manners and drivers exam and cell phone returned after completion. Second time vehicle impounded and licence removed for one year. After that you wont see many using it while driving.
Sorry all you business types and phone junkies, you are making it tough for the rest of us to travel our roads with you and soon your penalty will smack you right in the butt where it belongs since I cant put my boot there. When I see you swerve like a drunk I get mad. Your bad habits are scaring us and we deserve better.
I have had a cell phone sinse they came out and I still wont drive and take a call, throw it on the back seat and pay attention!
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

I like the idea of a $10,000.00 fine and you lose your license for 5 yrs and the vehicle you are caught in using your cell is impounded and auctioned off with the proceeds going to the victims. I know it sound steep, but that would make people think IMO. Same as impaired driving, you should lose your license for life and 5yrs in prison at a minimum IMO.

By the way.......i don't own a cell phone, got no need for one.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I also like the idea of a large fine, and the immediate impoundment of the phone for a period of up to 60 days (first offence). Anyone caught twice should be banned from owning a cell phone for a full year. That should do the trick!
I think courses in improved driving skills are not necessary, as they would probably just wind up being money makers for some private company. Besides which it could be a hardship having to attend one if the offender lives out in the boonies somewhere.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “B.C.”