Massive arsenal of guns, ammunition seized

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Massive arsenal of guns, ammunition seized

Post by Glacier »

I think it's funny how 100s of guns were seized out of homes in High River, and there was not one word of "massive arsenal of guns”, and yet when a respectable nice guy nearing the age of retirement, who has found a new hobby over the past few years, gets 167 guns taken away the headlines read "massive arsenal" like it is somehow much worse for one guy to own 167 guns than it is for 167 people to own one gun each. News flash. The guy with 167 guns can only use 2 of them at once. 5 if he also uses his feet and penis to fire away. Therefore, 162 of those guns will not be working if the guy goes nuts (which this person would not do by all accounts). By contrast, 167 guns in the hands of 167 people can all be used at once.

The moral of the story is that a nutcase cannot do any more harm by owning 167 guns than he can by owning 5, but for some odd reason do gooders want to ban people from owning more than a certain number of guns.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

10 outta 10 for Glacier. Great explanation of the reality of this situation!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Looting weapons (or other valuables) is one of the problems that comes with flooding or any similar disaster that occurs, an ideal opportunity for criminals to go "door to door" under the guise of checking for stranded people.

As a taxpayer interested in public safety I applaud the police for doing what they could to prevent any such criminal effort

Police seizing the stash of weapons, some of which had already been sold on the black market, likely also insured none of the weapons would be used for violence. Good for them.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Donald G wrote:Looting weapons (or other valuables) is one of the problems that comes with flooding or any similar disaster that occurs, an ideal opportunity for criminals to go "door to door" under the guise of checking for stranded people.

As a taxpayer interested in public safety I applaud the police for doing what they could to prevent any such criminal effort

Police seizing the stash of weapons, some of which had already been sold on the black market, likely also insured none of the weapons would be used for violence. Good for them.

All incorrect.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

grammafreddy wrote:You can also kill someone with a pillow ... OMG! Pillows should be illegal!!!!

Try going on a killing spree with a pillow and tell me how far you get.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

OK, here is the definitive study on gun control from Harvard, and it kicks all you gun grabbers to the curb.

"A Harvard Study titled “Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?” looks at figures for “intentional deaths” throughout continental Europe and juxtaposes them with the U.S. to show that more gun control does not necessarily lead to lower death rates or violent crime.

Because the findings so clearly demonstrate that more gun laws may in fact increase death rates, the study says that “the mantra that more guns mean more deaths and that fewer guns, therefore, mean fewer deaths” is wrong.

For example, when the study shows numbers for Eastern European gun ownership and corresponding murder rates, it is readily apparent that less guns to do not mean less death. In Russia, where the rate of gun ownership is 4,000 per 100,000 inhabitants, the murder rate was 20.52 per 100,000 in 2002. That same year in Finland, where the rater of gun ownership is exceedingly higher–39,000 per 100,000–the murder rate was almost nill, at 1.98 per 100,000."

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/org ... online.pdf
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:You can also kill someone with a pillow ... OMG! Pillows should be illegal!!!!

underscore wrote:Try going on a killing spree with a pillow and tell me how far you get.

This guy didn't go on a killing spree with anything so your jibe is moot. You also took it out of context. Try again, okay?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

If he's licensed and has permits to own/sell I don't care if he had 1, 100 or 1,000 guns but why did he have "illegal large capacity magazines"?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Glacier wrote:I think it's funny how 100s of guns were seized out of homes in High River, and there was not one word of "massive arsenal of guns”, and yet when a respectable nice guy nearing the age of retirement, who has found a new hobby over the past few years, gets 167 guns taken away the headlines read "massive arsenal" like it is somehow much worse for one guy to own 167 guns than it is for 167 people to own one gun each. News flash. The guy with 167 guns can only use 2 of them at once. 5 if he also uses his feet and penis to fire away. Therefore, 162 of those guns will not be working if the guy goes nuts (which this person would not do by all accounts). By contrast, 167 guns in the hands of 167 people can all be used at once.

The moral of the story is that a nutcase cannot do any more harm by owning 167 guns than he can by owning 5, but for some odd reason do gooders want to ban people from owning more than a certain number of guns.

I thought it was 183 guns, but regardless, my concern would be because of the seclusion and how secure the guns were so that a robbery wouldn't provide 183 individuals with guns, which is much scarier than one person with 183 guns. I agree with Jenny about it being harder to kill someone with a lesser weapon, which would lower the initiative. Mass killings at schools... theatres... JFK and others being sniped... I wonder if they'd all be alive if the killers couldn't use guns?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Rwede ...

To theorists, it seems a great deal of the information gained from the real world is deemed to be incorrect simply because it does not fit with their theoretical conclusions. Including the fact that significant property is stolen during community catastrophes.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

zzontar wrote:I thought it was 183 guns, but regardless, my concern would be because of the seclusion and how secure the guns were so that a robbery wouldn't provide 183 individuals with guns, which is much scarier than one person with 183 guns. I agree with Jenny about it being harder to kill someone with a lesser weapon, which would lower the initiative. Mass killings at schools... theatres... JFK and others being sniped... I wonder if they'd all be alive if the killers couldn't use guns?

Yeah, no one has ever done a mass killing in the US without guns. Well, except for using boxcutters and committing a mass killing of 3,000 innocent people.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Planes have another purpose, that's one reason we allow certified people to own them. Same with cars, they kill quite a few people every year too.

Bombs can kill a bunch of people too or chemicals. Or viruses for that matter. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. The same rational goes for every weapon ever made. So where do we draw the line? Firearms don't have a secondary purpose, they are made to kill things which is why they must be strongly restricted (not to be confused with eliminated).

I didn't realize initially this person was a dealer. Under those circumstances, as a monitored business, I would be OK with the amount in possession. Once you start acquiring illegal magazines you lose the right to that legal license. What other illegal firearms/accessories was he willing to deal in or possess?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Fisher-Dude wrote:

Yeah, no one has ever done a mass killing in the US without guns. Well, except for using boxcutters and committing a mass killing of 3,000 innocent people.

http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/gun-violence/

How Prevalent is Gun Violence in America?
According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, 467,321 persons were victims of a crime committed with a firearm in 2011.[1] In the same year, data collected by the FBI show that firearms were used in 68 percent of murders

3000 killed with a plane isn't good, neither is almost a half a million people killed with guns, and you wouldn't believe the number of people who think more people were killed in the 9/11 attack than by guns that year. Guns, the choice of over two thirds of murderers... small, almost effortless to use, you don't even have to be close to the person.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

zzontar wrote:Guns, the choice of over two thirds of murderers... small, almost effortless to use, you don't even have to be close to the person.

You are talking about hand guns. This guy is not accused of selling hand guns to people without a valid PAL.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

jennylives wrote:Guns are tools for acquiring food. They are not cool, they are not toys, and I am disturbed by those who turn them into a fetish.

jennylives wrote:My favourite firearm is our 12 gauge. I'm a big fan of skeet shooting. I'm getting pretty good at it.

How many skeets make a meal?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “B.C.”