Friendly deer to be killed for being friendly.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Friendly deer to be killed for being friendly.

Post by Fancy »

As stated over and over on this thread there were VIABLE alternatives
Guessing that a petting zoo would have taken the animal is not an alternative and speculating after the fact will not help the next animal placed in this predicament. This was not a pet but a wild animal that was too familiar with people. Those people who encouraged this animal should have stepped up to do something about the situation before it got to the point of killing it. This was not a surprise ending nor should people be outraged when they are told time and again not to feed wildlife.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

conanross wrote:Again, I say, it's a friendly dear. It can very quickly turn aggressive or accidentally hurt someone. A habitat or relocation would be something I WOULD put my taxes towards. They don't ask the general population though, they just act as judge and jury and kill it. Yesterday there was a horse on the loose in West Kelowna. Everyone worked really hard to try to RESCUE this friendly horse. No conservation officers came out to kill IT! Why is that? Save the horse, kill the deer? F'd up! We should start taking out friendly conservation officers, THERE's the real threat. Although they're useful in taking out human-eating animals close to our neighborhoods, they're making poor decisions constantly. Who keeps them in check?

So you wish death on a human being. Nice. Are you okay if we wish death on you for doing the job you were hired and trained to do?

Horses are private, personal property. Wildlife belongs to the province, and as such, is dealt with by the province. Big difference.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Wildlife doesnt belong to anyone or anything.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

skydawg wrote:Wildlife doesnt belong to anyone or anything.

Not true.

Property in wildlife
2 (1) Ownership in all wildlife in British Columbia is vested in the government.

(2) A person does not acquire a right of property in any wildlife except in accordance with a permit or licence issued under this Act or the Game Farm Act or as provided in subsection (3) of this section.

(3) A person who lawfully kills wildlife and complies with all applicable provisions of this Act and the regulations acquires the right of property in that wildlife.

(4) If a person by accident or for the protection of life or property kills wildlife, that wildlife, despite subsection (3), remains the property of the government.

(5) Despite anything in this Act, no right of action lies, and no right of compensation exists, against the government for death, personal injury or property damage caused by

(a) wildlife,

(a.1) controlled alien species described in paragraph (a) of the definition of "species", or

(b) an animal that escapes or is released from captivity or is abandoned

in British Columbia.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... 1#section2
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

*removed/Jo*
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

crazyoleme wrote:Actually Steve-O in this case they did tranq.
They, according to this vet, tranq'ed transported and shot..

oops. My bad. Sorry. However, I am still of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with putting the deer down. Don't get me wrong, I love animals. I just think there comes a time when it boils down to the fact that it is just an animal....
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

*removed/Jo*
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed/Jo*
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Why are you comparing mosquito killing to deer killing? I know the point you are trying to make but it is a ridiculous comparison.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

skydawg wrote:Why are you comparing mosquito killing to deer killing? I know the point you are trying to make but it is a ridiculous comparison.

Why? Is it because deer are cute and mosquitoes aren't?
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

it has nothing to do with this thread
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

oops. My bad. Sorry. However, I am still of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with putting the deer down. Don't get me wrong, I love animals. I just think there comes a time when it boils down to the fact that it is just an animal....

In some case I agree but the last few words of your post are ignorant. I feel the same about some humans, dont really care if they die or are killed, they are just humans and is plenty of them.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

skydawg wrote:it has nothing to do with this thread

It's a valid question, both deer and mosquitoes are common animals that are a danger to humans when they lose their fear of us (in the case of the mosquitoes, that's right from when they hatch). So why save a deer but squish a mosquito?
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

is a mosquito not an insect?
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

I do agree that some animals may need to be destroyed just wish it was the same with humans. its just a human, another type of animal.

Return to “B.C.”