Friendly deer to be killed for being friendly.

conanross

Friendly deer to be killed for being friendly.

Post by conanross »

Why kill a deer for being friendly? Put it in a habitat and let it live happily. I WOULD like my taxes going towards something like that other then some dumb politicians' plane flight.
omisimaw
Guru

Re: Friendly deer to be killed for being friendly.

Post by omisimaw »

The suggestion that this animal be put down is just wrong, oh so wrong!

Kamloops has a zoo do they not? What about a wildlife refuge?

If it is true that it had human contact growing up that has made it people friendly then we as humans need to step up to the plate and help this creature survive!

The law saying humans can not keep wildlife as pets needs to be rubbed off the books! I would take this animal on my property in a heartbeat!

Anyone remember the 74 year old lady and her pet deer.... it was public outcry that saved that animal from the conservation officers desire to kill kill kill

Seems like the have a gun happy officer up in the Coldstream/Vernon area that needs to be given a reality check in all god's creatures!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

crazyoleme wrote:The law saying humans can not keep wildlife as pets needs to be rubbed off the books! I would take this animal on my property in a heartbeat!

Such a change would only end very poorly. Wild animals should not become pets, especially not to untrained owners.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

The law is archaic and needs to be changed!

I am not suggesting everybody run out in the wilderness and snatch up baby animals to raise in the city but when you have an animal that it is suggested began life amongst humans then humans have a responsibility to do their utmost to ensure that it is safe.

Relocating this animal to a zoo would be the best answer or to a wildlife refuge or to a rural acreage where the owner is open to having and caring for it.

In this case we need to start the old RUN BAMBI RUN campaign to save this precious animal from the bullet trigger happy CO of that area!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Until someone or their child is stomped or shanked by this deer. Then their will be many more people up in arms over why the authorities didn't do something about the deer before it hurt/killed someone. It is not an easy task to capture and relocate ungulates. Who's gonna fork out the money to fund this project? Any of you? The C.O.S. is a cash-strapped organization who sometimes doesn't have enough money in their budget to put gas in their trucks well before the end of the fiscal year.

It is unfortunate and I really don't like seeing wildlife suffer due to the stupidity of people. But those who fed it early on in it's life created this dilemma.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

It is unfortunate and I really don't like seeing wildlife suffer due to the stupidity of people. But those who fed it early on in it's life created this dilemma.

Just wait til they over populate Enterprise way like the feral rabbits did...

Won't be so cute when someone hits one on their way to work , huh ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

crazyoleme wrote:The law is archaic and needs to be changed!

I am not suggesting everybody run out in the wilderness and snatch up baby animals to raise in the city but when you have an animal that it is suggested began life amongst humans then humans have a responsibility to do their utmost to ensure that it is safe.

Relocating this animal to a zoo would be the best answer or to a wildlife refuge or to a rural acreage where the owner is open to having and caring for it.

In this case we need to start the old RUN BAMBI RUN campaign to save this precious animal from the bullet trigger happy CO of that area!

Except if you make this legal some idiot will get a pet cougar, that will end up escaping from their house and mauling some poor kid.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

underscore wrote:
Except if you make this legal some idiot will get a pet cougar, that will end up escaping from their house and mauling some poor kid.

Yeah, better they get gored or stomped by a friendly buck in the rut.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Deer are not cute and cuddly. They are wild animals that can become very aggressive and territorial.

When that bucks hormones start to flow next month, he's going to become a real threat to public safety.

Get in the way of a rutting buck that has lost its fear of humans and simply views them as mating competition, and the outcome would be very, very bad.

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Is there a reason that this particular deer is not a candidate for relocation ? Is it "domesticated" to the point it could no longer survive in the wild ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Do they "relocate" deer?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I really don't know. I could see a bullet being cheaper than a tank of gas, is that what the decision comes down to ? It's not like they're an endangered species or anything like that, but it's Bambi. 0.0
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I think Bambi was a doe - no?

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

..time to turn him into Bambiburgers!
Chill
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

grammafreddy wrote:I think Bambi was a doe - no?

Bambi was a young prince of the forest. He ended up with the lovely Faline. (At least, in the Disney version.)

As for relocating them, they're sometimes injured during the capture/transport. Anybody know what the odds are for deer surviving relocation, and staying in the wild?

Return to “B.C.”