Friendly deer to be killed for being friendly.

skydawg
Lord of the Board

Re: Friendly deer to be killed for being friendly.

Post by skydawg »

I like how people think small children are more important than anything else. Stop acting like you are the only species on earth.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Irrelevant - that deer was raised from a fawn - this one wasn't.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

conanross wrote:Again, I say, it's a friendly dear. It can very quickly turn aggressive or accidentally hurt someone. A habitat or relocation would be something I WOULD put my taxes towards. They don't ask the general population though, they just act as judge and jury and kill it. Yesterday there was a horse on the loose in West Kelowna. Everyone worked really hard to try to RESCUE this friendly horse. No conservation officers came out to kill IT! Why is that? Save the horse, kill the deer? F'd up! We should start taking out friendly conservation officers, THERE's the real threat. Although they're useful in taking out human-eating animals close to our neighborhoods, they're making poor decisions constantly. Who keeps them in check?

1) A horse is not even close to a deer, 2) It's already been stated multiple times that relocating a deer DOES NOT WORK, so it would just be a waste of taxpayer dollars.

skydawg wrote:I like how people think small children are more important than anything else. Stop acting like you are the only species on earth.

Did you really just say that? Do you honestly believe that a deer is more important than a child?
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I believe skydawg was being sarcastic.
As far as the horse is concerned - I believe it had an owner.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

There has been nothing posted to support or prove that relocating deer does not work!

Relocation of this particular animal was being suggested to a zoo or rehab centre. If it were to die there it at least would have had a caring chance at survival and I am sure it would make it.... have you ever been to the Vancouver Zoo? Ever seen any other large zoo's? If you had you would see that they have fantastic success at integrating deer and other animals into their environment all the time! Same with rehab centres...

The lady on the island had to fight long and hard to keep her deer and it is not being aggressive or a threat as was being said by the CO's over there.

Did you look up the Global news segment wherein the Ministry Vet (not a local person) stated openly that they did not investigate or even give thought to anything other than putting the animal down. Even though there was time to do the communications and to put a relocation in place it simply was brushed aside and this is IMHO wrong to the core. Obviously with no effort made it is so much easier to just put the animals down and brush off the public concerns and outcry.

Do you really think those that wanted the deer gone cared how? Do you think they all wanted it dead? Because a part of that newscast was also a variety of residents of the area, familiar with the situation, that were appalled that no, nada, zip effort was made to even pick up a phone and see if say maybe Kamloops zoo could take the animal, or if a local petting zoo would like a free animal or if any other local refuge might be interested..
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The lady on the island had to fight long and hard to keep her deer and it is not being aggressive or a threat as was being said by the CO's over there.
A tame pet deer is a lot different from a wild deer that was already showing signs (rubbing) that were not appropriate.

In an email, a ministry spokesperson said relocating the deer was not a viable option and that translocation is rarely humane.

"There is extremely low survival of deer for a variety of physiological, behavioural and habitat reasons."

Also, deer are common and rarely needed for captive collections. Integrating an animal that behaved like John Deer may not have been possible, the email stated.

Marnie Cuthill, community coordinator for Wildsafe B.C. in Vernon, said the lesson to be learned from Coldstream's experience with John Deer is that wild animals should not be treated as domesticated pets - they should be respected and left wild.

"Ultimately, if you don't keep them wild you're put your community, your family at a safety risk," Cuthill said.
The Province.

If it isn't humane to relocate - feed a family.

1. NON LETHAL METHODS TO MANAGE DEER POPULATIONS

Live Capture and Relocation

i) Methods

Deer can be live-captured in a single gate Clover trap, modified Stephenson box traps, netted cage traps, drive nets, drop nets, rocket nets, corral traps, net guns and immobilization drugs. In residential areas, the traps are placed out of sight from public roads and neighbouring houses in areas of high deer activity (usually feeding areas adjacent to woody cover). The traps are typically installed in late fall before the ground freezes to ensure they are anchored and are ready for an early winter. Sites are pre-baited with a combination of shelled corn and apples to survey for deer presence, and the traps are baited and left open to condition deer to enter. Since winter is the only season when trap capture is feasible, traps are run during the season of snow cover with midday temperatures consistently below freezing.

Animal welfare groups participate in the planning, preparation, construction and baiting of traps and in the actual capture and handling of the animals. Wildlife agency personnel and veterinarians trained in wildlife medical care and in safe capture and handling techniques are also involved. These professionals are essential to a successful urban deer capture project. The deer are sedated, transferred to transport crates, ear tagged, loaded onto a pickup or flatbed truck with a boom truck or crane lift and driven to release sites (either rural sites or sold to licensed deer farms).

ii) Benefits

Capture and release is of ten the most socially-acceptable option for herd management since it is non lethal. It is more palatable to elected officials and various constituency groups and is a very selective method of removing deer.

iii) Disadvantages

Capture and release is a more expensive and less effective option when compared to lethal control methods (Ishmael and Rongstad 1984) and has been demonstrated to be impractical since it is stressful to the deer. Rather than extending the lifespan of an individual animal, it may result in a high post-release mortality of relocated deer. Mortality rates of radio-tagged translocated deer were more than twice that reported for ear-tagged deer not moved during the same period (Bryant 1992). There are several reasons for this high mortality. First, translocated deer had a tendency to maintain their tameness, establishing new home ranges near or in residential areas and causing nuisance problems in their new range (Bryant 1992, O’Bryan and McCullough 1985, Witham and Jones 1990). Second, they cannot recognize hazards that were not encountered in their previous habitat and therefore tend to react inappropriately (Jones and Witham 1990, Bryant and Ishmael 1991, Jones et al. 1997, Cromwell et al. 1999). Third, most deer that are relocated are already stressed and emaciated in their previous habitat before transfer and therefore cannot withstand the transfer.

Trapping success is limited and there is often great difficulty in capturing adequate numbers of deer to reduce the urban population. There is also the problem of finding release sites willing to accept deer since relocated deer continue to breed and increase in population, causing property damage near release sites (Bryant and Ishmael 1991, O’Bryan and McCullough 1985, Witham and Jones 1990, Bryant 1992). Translocation programs require release sites capable of receiving deer. As well, there is the threat of the spread of Lyme disease and tuberculosis in some areas of North America associated with translocation.

http://www.thamesriver.on.ca/wetlands_a ... mt_pg3.htm
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Hey Crazyolme - they tried this in Calgary years ago with several deer living in a large inner city pasture area that was to be developed. They tranq'd the deer. The deer died due to stress.

Do the math. Man power and equipment to tranq the deer with minimal chance of deer surviving vs. 1 round.

Any way, you guys go on beating this dead deer, i mean horse.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Steve-O wrote:Hey Crazyolme - they tried this in Calgary years ago with several deer living in a large inner city pasture area that was to be developed. They tranq'd the deer. The deer died due to stress.

Do the math. Man power and equipment to tranq the deer with minimal chance of deer surviving vs. 1 round.

Any way, you guys go on beating this dead deer, i mean horse.

Actually Steve-O in this case they did tranq.
They, according to this vet, tranq'ed transported and shot...
so do the math, manpower, equipment, transportation etc etc.....
it would have been sad if the deer had died of stress but no one will ever know and it could have just as easily been very successful given the expertise of the recipient organizations that deal with accepting wild animals in all sorts of medical conditions, let alone a fine healthy animal.
Many wild animals are taken to refuge agencies every day and undergo months of rehabilitation at times. There is nothing to suggest this could not have taken place in this situation or others that may come along in the future.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

. There is nothing to suggest this could not have taken place in this situation or others that may come along in the future.
There is nothing to suggest this could have taken place. Did anyone who created the problem phone Kamloops? I see nothing wrong with this outcome at all.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

crazyoleme wrote:Actually Steve-O in this case they did tranq.

The cost and effort involved in tranquilizing the deer to move it to an area where it is safer to shoot it is going to be lower than the cost to attempt to relocate it to a wilderness area.

crazyoleme wrote:it would have been sad if the deer had died of stress but no one will ever know and it could have just as easily been very successful given the expertise of the recipient organizations that deal with accepting wild animals in all sorts of medical conditions, let alone a fine healthy animal.
Many wild animals are taken to refuge agencies every day and undergo months of rehabilitation at times. There is nothing to suggest this could not have taken place in this situation or others that may come along in the future.

According to the professionals who know a great deal more about deer than you do the odds of survival looked to be pretty slim, in the case of deer it's not a matter of the physical condition but the mental condition, and that one is a lot harder for someone to correct.

*personal attack removed/Jo*
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

crazyoleme wrote:Actually Steve-O in this case they did tranq.

underscore wrote:The cost and effort involved in tranquilizing the deer to move it to an area where it is safer to shoot it is going to be lower than the cost to attempt to relocate it to a wilderness area.

Assumption plus who is talking about relocating a domesticated animal to the wilderness....

crazyoleme wrote:it would have been sad if the deer had died of stress but no one will ever know and it could have just as easily been very successful given the expertise of the recipient organizations that deal with accepting wild animals in all sorts of medical conditions, let alone a fine healthy animal.

underscore wrote:According to the professionals who know a great deal more about deer than you do the odds of survival looked to be pretty slim, in the case of deer it's not a matter of the physical condition but the mental condition, and that one is a lot harder for someone to correct.

But of course none of this matters since crazyoleme is incapable of understanding that this deer was going to be dead one way or another.

You do not know what experience or knowledge so do not presume.... incapable of understanding? oh please I understand full well what took place in this case and I disagree with how it was handled. Vocal you bet and I will continue to be vocal because this just did not have to happen! There were alternatives and our voices and actions are all we have to make change to this type of unilateral decision making by members of the public service.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

crazyoleme wrote:You do not know what experience or knowledge so do not presume.... incapable of understanding? oh please I understand full well what took place in this case and I disagree with how it was handled. Vocal you bet and I will continue to be vocal because this just did not have to happen! There were alternatives and our voices and actions are all we have to make change to this type of unilateral decision making by members of the public service.

While I may not have exact knowledge of your education, I can judge from your posts that you have no clue how this works.

I never said anything about you being vocal, but I fail to see how any of the "alternatives" were an intelligent choice to make, either that deer died then with a bullet, or it would have died soon enough with a different bullet or the teeth of a predator.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

underscore wrote:
While I may not have exact knowledge of your education, I can judge from your posts that you have no clue how this works.

You have NO knowledge of my education, skills, abilities or experience and have nothing to judge me by!

underscore wrote:I never said anything about you being vocal, but I fail to see how any of the "alternatives" were an intelligent choice to make,

The fact remains that there were alternatives and these were not explored and this is not intelligent on the part of a public servant!
underscore wrote:either that deer died then with a bullet, or it would have died soon enough with a different bullet or the teeth of a predator.

How would it get in the teeth of a predator at a zoo? a refuge????? As stated over and over on this thread there were VIABLE alternatives to euthanizing this beautiful animal!!!! They were just overlooked and ignored....

Return to “B.C.”