RCMP Distracted Driving Campaign

twobits
Guru

Re: RCMP Distracted Driving Campaign

Post by twobits »

Donald G wrote:Twobits ... the difference is the "hands free" aspect. Vehicles and roads are not designed for one handed drivers. The brain is not designed for "multiple task" operations being performed by a driver. No driver has the right to subject all other drivers on the road to NEEDLESSLY increased risk of injury or death.

Anyone who has the completely false impression that they are an exception to those fundamental realities is in a class of egotistical, self important beings who should be stripped of their right to drive.

You still have not answered if these hand held radio mikes are illegal. They are still widely used.
And I would agree with another poster that you are being overly righteous. I doubt you never drive without both hands on the wheel and am quite sure you have carried on a conversation with a passenger while driving which would be multitasking. This makes you nothing but a hypocrite on a high horse.

BTW, saw an RCMP officer just yesterday driving down main st in busy traffic using his mounted computer. Guess they get special drivers training so that their brains are able to multitask to do this and use cells unlike the rest of us common folk. Is there somewhere we can sign up for this training so that we can have brains that multitask as well?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Donald G wrote:Twobits ... the difference is the "hands free" aspect. Vehicles and roads are not designed for one handed drivers. The brain is not designed for "multiple task" operations being performed by a driver. No driver has the right to subject all other drivers on the road to NEEDLESSLY increased risk of injury or death.

Anyone who has the completely false impression that they are an exception to those fundamental realities is in a class of egotistical, self important beings who should be stripped of their right to drive.

twobits wrote:You still have not answered if these hand held radio mikes are illegal. They are still widely used.
And I would agree with another poster that you are being overly righteous. I doubt you never drive without both hands on the wheel and am quite sure you have carried on a conversation with a passenger while driving which would be multitasking. This makes you nothing but a hypocrite on a high horse.

BTW, saw an RCMP officer just yesterday driving down main st in busy traffic using his mounted computer. Guess they get special drivers training so that their brains are able to multitask to do this and use cells unlike the rest of us common folk. Is there somewhere we can sign up for this training so that we can have brains that multitask as well?

To answer your question: No, they are not illegal. Anything that is mounted in the vehicle, and only requires one-touch operation, is not unlawful to use. Two-way or CB radio's are OK. As are hard-mounted computers.

If you want to sign up for the training that the police receive in order to be provided with multitasking skills that will grant you an exemption during the execution of your duties like that I know of one course you can take. The application process is rather involved and can take anywhere between about 9 and 20 months including aptitude and psychological testing. Then the course itself is rather lengthy. It's about 6 months long and is held in one of the most undesirable corners of the country. The course is then followed by about 6 months of on the job training in often even less desirable corners of the country.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

If you want to sign up for the training that the police receive in order to be provided with multitasking skills that will grant you an exemption during the execution of your duties like that I know of one course you can take. The application process is rather involved and can take anywhere between about 9 and 20 months including aptitude and psychological testing. Then the course itself is rather lengthy. It's about 6 months long and is held in one of the most undesirable corners of the country. The course is then followed by about 6 months of on the job training in often even less desirable corners of the country.

I know you're suggesting Regina and Depot KL , but do truckers , cab drivers , couriers et al really need that course ??
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

MAPearce wrote:I know you're suggesting Regina and Depot KL , but do truckers , cab drivers , couriers et al really need that course ??

Nope. They get the exemption without it.

When the government made the law they did it in such a way that it would not have a significant impact on those industries who relied on use of electronic devices (i.e. two ways and dispatch systems). In doing so it left a few loopholes in the law. But from from having nothing to something with a few loopholes is better than contnuing to have nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

This is from the RCMP website. It clearly states that no Electronic devices such as a "hand held mic" can be used. Doesn't a CB radio use a hand held mic?

http://cb.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.actio ... ntId=26944
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Twobits ... Since I have no idea what you mean by "overly righteous" I will not respond to your probably insulting comment. Have we degenerated to name calling? Nor do I know what is meant by saying "I doubt you never drive with both hands".

IMO almost all of our regulatory motor vehicle act laws seem to reflect that those who enacted them seem to have tried to strike a balance between ABSOLUTE safety and the limitations imposed by the realities of life and the limitations inherent in the human body.
Last edited by Donald G on Oct 26th, 2013, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

XT225 wrote:This is from the RCMP website. It clearly states that no Electronic devices such as a "hand held mic" can be used. Doesn't a CB radio use a hand held mic?

http://cb.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.actio ... ntId=26944

You are better off going to the actual legislation to get your information:

Prescribed electronic devices

3 (1) The following electronic devices are prescribed for the purposes of paragraph (c) of the definition of "electronic device" in section 214.1 of the Act:
(a) electronic devices that include a hands-free telephone function;
(b) global positioning systems;
(c) hand-held electronic devices, one of the purposes of which is to process or compute data;
(d) hand-held audio players;
(e) hand microphones;
(f) televisions.

(2) In subsection (1), "hand microphone" means a communication device consisting of a hand-held unit that
(a) is both receiver and microphone,
(b) is operated by a push and hold-to-talk function, and
(c) allows for oral communication, but not for the transmission and receipt of oral communication at the same time.

Hand microphone

9 A person may use a hand microphone while driving or operating a motor vehicle on a highway if
(a) the device is within easy reach of the driver's seat, and
(b) is securely fixed to the motor vehicle or worn securely on the person's body in a manner that does not obstruct the person's view of the front or sides of the motor vehicle or interfere with the safety or operating equipment of the motor vehicle.

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Thanks, KL3, that first RCMP site was as "clear as mud". I also found a trucking site that stated things very clearly. Two-way radios ARE exempt (for now, at least).

http://www.todaystrucking.com/two-ways- ... in-new-ban

ps: I still find it hard to understand how someone driving an 18 Wheeler could hold the steering wheel with BOTH hands, shift gears AND hold a hand mic. I've never done it, nor don't ever plan to try.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

XT225 wrote:Thanks, KL3, that first RCMP site was as "clear as mud". I also found a trucking site that stated things very clearly. Two-way radios ARE exempt (for now, at least).

http://www.todaystrucking.com/two-ways- ... in-new-ban

ps: I still find it hard to understand how someone driving an 18 Wheeler could hold the steering wheel with BOTH hands, shift gears AND hold a hand mic. I've never done it, nor don't ever plan to try.

Well there is nothing that says you have to have both hands on the wheel at all times and they don't have to shift gears constantly. I would imagine that, like reaching for their coffee, they save their chatting for times when they aren't actively shifting gears.

Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

MAPearce wrote:I agree that distracted driving is indeed a problem and does take lives on our roads but I think your missing one important thing..

That is, while you can indeed drive with one hand , you most certainly NOT drive without your eyes on the road. A hand held mic can be operated without taking your eyes of the road whereas a "hands free" dash mounted computer or navigation devcice can't...

You still got to read the thing.

It's gotten to the point when I see someone talking on their cell, my first thought is thank goodness they are talking and not texting! Are they distracted while talking? yes, but at least there is a chance they will see a situation and react whereas someone texting is completely gone. I responded to a text from my wife once with a "K" and after I sent it I realized how far down the road I had traveled in the short time it took to read, hit K and hit send.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Thankfully , those in the industry who rely on a clean driving record understand what , how , when and why a mic is , or can be used safley...

Of course , your scenario is absurd , and to think it could be done safely is even more so ... You know that.

You can't change gears with your feet...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Ok, how about for improving safety a bit, truckers install a push to talk button on their gear shift knobs, and wear a lapel mic, much like is pretty well standard nowadays in airplanes. Would save picking up one more piece of equipment; especially since that right hand is on the gear shift a LOT. With all the accidents lately, Anything that can be done to improve safety, SHOULD be.
Last edited by XT225 on Oct 26th, 2013, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

KL3-Something wrote: It's about 6 months long and is held in one of the most undesirable corners of the country.

LOL not everyone thinks this.... but they are calling for snow this week.... Brrrrrr....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

XT225 wrote:Ok, how about for improving safety a bit, truckers install a push to talk button on their gear shift knobs, and wear a lapel mic, much like is pretty well standard nowadays in airplanes. Would save picking up one more piece of equipment; especially since that right hand is on the gear shift a LOT. With all the accidents lately, Anything that can be done to improve safety, SHOULD be.

Really ???

To say that , when youre in top gear for posted speed and doing nothing but guiding your vehicle , you need another switch to hit to maintain hiway safety , is to say that you shouldn't be on the road ...
Prestige Mike
Board Meister

Post by Prestige Mike »

Have there been studies confirming that talking on a cell phone while driving is more dangerous then talking to a passenger in your vehicle?

I'm not convinced that talking on a cell phone while driving is that dangerous.

Of course, Text messaging while driving seems extremely dangerous.

Just for fun, here's a few things that I think are more dangerous than driving while talking on a cellphone.

- Driving in a van full of screaming kids
- A policeman using his various tools while driving (radio, laptop, ect)
- Eating a messy burger while driving
-Teenagers driving in a car full of their friends
- Driving while there is a wasp in the car :)
- Looking at your GPS while driving
- Flipping through your Sirius radio channels.
- Changing C.D.'s while driving
- Driving while tired in the morning.

Return to “B.C.”