Letter to Premier Christy Clark RE: Smart Meters

twobits
Guru

Re: Letter to Premier Christy Clark RE: Smart Meters

Post by twobits »

hobbyguy wrote:BC Hydro was suppose to be about supplying reasonably priced power to the public. So if it costs that much to read the meter, shouldn't the shareholders, you and me, get a discount for accepting smart meters. They shouldn't charge extra for smart meters, rather there should be something like a $15/month discount for having one.

I know! And I don't even own a bong!

The high monthly price is obviously meant to be a disincentive to opt out. Many people, myself included, do not wear tin foil hats. I oppose the meters because of what the ultimate end game will be.......time of use billing and those of us with no alternative to electric heat will get it royally up the hoop. Beyond that I don't want some beaurocrat telling me the best time to do my laundry is after 11pm and my coffee will be cheaper before 7am. People who work and households with children cannot revolve around cheap power cycles.
Why a monthly $35 charge? Why can the homeowner not read the digital display and phone in or internet report the reading. Hydro/Fortis could do a manual read twice a year for $35 to verify and adjust if required. I can even see a smart phone app where one could snap a pic and the reading complete with serial number is provided. There are easy and cheap alternatives. There is just no will to provide them.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “B.C.”