B.C. Big Labour Unions and B.C. Liberals join forces

NAB
Buddha of the Board

B.C. Big Labour Unions and B.C. Liberals join forces

Post by NAB »

I guess the union bashers would be wise to cool their rhetoric and personal slander now huh? ; -)
Nab

""VICTORIA -- Some of British Columbia's most powerful labour leaders are pledging to work with Premier Christy Clark's Liberal government and the energy industry to help thousands of B.C. workers land jobs in what could be the province's multi-billion-dollar liquefied natural gas industry
B.C. Federation of Labour President Jim Sinclair and B.C. Building Trades Council executive director Tom Sigurdson emerged from a closed-door meeting Monday with Clark saying jobs trump politics when it comes to developing and securing B.C.'s LNG opportunity.

Clark, flanked by the two labour leaders, said the unions, her government and industry representatives will work together to develop a strategy to train B.C. workers for what could result in up to 100,000 new jobs in northern B.C.""

Full article: http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/b-c-unio ... -1.1447589
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: B.C. Big Labour Unions and B.C. Liberals join forces

Post by maryjane48 »

lol big bad ole unions supplying british columbians with good paying jobs whoda thunk it lol
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

lakevixen wrote:lol big bad ole unions supplying british columbians with good paying jobs whoda thunk it lol

ha ha I’m surprised there is still no reaction to this story from the rhetoric-fed right-wing hillbillies. I actually thought the reaction would be quick and vitriolic, given the hyperbolic bent of some of the union-bashing wing-nuts around here LOLOLOL
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

"Government can't do this alone," said Clark. "Labour can't do this alone. Industry can't do this alone. We need to put aside our differences. People don't care about politics. They care about jobs."

If she really means this I say good for her.

Sinclair was blunt when reporters asked if the meeting with Clark could be viewed as a slight against the NDP and party leader Adrian Dix. "I'm not sure what Adrian Dix thinks, but I know our members will think it's probably a good idea," he said.

Who cares what Adrian Dix thinks? Other than a few weird creepily obsessive Dix-fetsish hold-ons around here
the election is long over and Dix is irrelevant. Time to get to work and get going here!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

My take would be that they both understand that this pie is big for everybody, and instead of fighting each other on small issues, they should focus on how it hugely benefits both of them.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Captain Awesome wrote:My take would be that they both understand that this pie is big for everybody, and instead of fighting each other on small issues, they should focus on how it hugely benefits both of them.
Yes, and certainly we saw many rank-in-file union members turn away from the NDP in the last election because guess what? They want jobs.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Odd that any of you would expect those who dislike unions, to be surprised, when union leaders see an opportunity to line their pockets thanks to a government initiative.

Their membership due remitters made their feelings quite clear with their election votes.

Nothing new here, just standard fare, and not worth commenting on, except perhaps to note how two faced the fairweather union execs are, though that too is standard MO.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Odd that any of you would expect those who dislike unions, to be surprised, when union leaders see an opportunity to line their pockets thanks to a government initiative.

Their membership due remitters made their feelings quite clear with their election votes.

Nothing new here, just standard fare, and not worth commenting on, except perhaps to note how two faced the fairweather union execs are, though that too is standard MO.

well the facts are that unions supply good paying jobs and keep employers honest in keeping safe working conditions , but the bottom line is union members will be getting more work now, and that in turn means more union jobs .
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Isn't it ironic how Dix said NO! to pipeline development and now labour is crawling hat in hand to Christy, sheepishly looking for jobs now that they see the train leaving the station without them?

Sinclair looked so defeated at the podium. He knew he was hammered by Christy during the election when she drew his members away from him and the NDP. I somehow get the feeling that he doesn't like to be "beaten by a girl" but that's just my impression. ;)
Last edited by Rwede on Sep 11th, 2013, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

lakevixen wrote:
well the facts are that unions supply good paying jobs

Funny but I always thought it was employers and industry that supply good paying jobs. The only good paying jobs I have ever seen a union supply are to it's executive. And those jobs are paid off of the backs of the members working for an employer and industry created job. When this happens in nature, it is called a symbiotic parasitic relationship. One does not exist without the other.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

One does not exist without the other.

Perhaps similar could be said about the employer/employee relationship?

Nab
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

NAB wrote: Perhaps similar could be said about the employer/employee relationship?

Nab

There is a vast difference between the employer/employee relationship and the employee/union executive relationship

Back on topic, this is not about union bashing. The news here is not surprising at all nor should it be. It is same reason Dix got trounced and that was simply working folks could see how their bread would be buttered. Sinclair is also keenly aware he would face a backlash from his own membership should he continue the NDP mantra and not work in co op with gov't and industry on these opportunities.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Isn't it ironic how Dix said NO! to pipeline development and now labour is crawling hat in hand to Christy, sheepishly looking for jobs now that they see the train leaving the station without them?

Sinclair looked so defeated at the podium. He knew he was hammered by Christy during the election when she drew his members away from him and the NDP. I somehow get the feeling that he doesn't like to be "beaten by a girl" but that's just my impression. ;)
guess you have no clue what christy said in her promises lol, mabey mz clark is more left than what you think :)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Funny but I always thought it was employers and industry that supply good paying jobs. The only good paying jobs I have ever seen a union supply are to it's executive. And those jobs are paid off of the backs of the members working for an employer and industry created job. When this happens in nature, it is called a symbiotic parasitic relationship. One does not exist without the other.

well my wage and benefits say different , and your right, the libs are parasitic
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

lakevixen wrote:well my wage and benefits say different , and your right, the libs are parasitic

I guess you work for the union then. Good for you, the rest of us work for companies and get our cheques and benefits from them.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “B.C.”