BC Hydro - yikes!

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: BC Hydro - yikes!

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Depends on where you live. Some areas are BC Hydro while others are Fortis.

This is from BC Hydro site......... BC Hydro delivers power to about 95 per cent of B.C.’s population. The exceptions are the City of New Westminster and a part of the Okanagan (including Kelowna).

See our map of BC Hydro service areas.

http://www.bchydro.com/content/dam/hydr ... ol_map.pdf

Mind you I would add that I haven't kept up on the details regarding the City of Kelowna selling their interests to Fortis, which was a topic a while back now.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

Lol.... that map is evidently not to scale, and the dots are placed "close enough"
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Just for some reference: http://www.seattle.gov/light/accounts/rates/NUand25CitiesRateTable.pdf

My current bill from Fortis would put them 4th lowest, without exchange rate. How'd you like to pay New York city rates?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

BC Hydro's current rates are currently around 25-30% lower than Fortis' rates...seems their customers have been getting a pretty sweet deal until now, and will continue to get better pricing over the next few years

If thats the way the thinking goes we should be paying double for gasoline for example as in other countries that is what they pay. The other side of that argument should be then that we should pay about 25 cents a liter for gasoline as that is what they pay in Venezuela and some middle eastern countries.

I still maintain that BCHydro and the Government should look and adjust those salaries for top managment, and even maybe middle management and set an example. But no that is not how things work. And the electorate keeps voting them in.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

John500 wrote:If thats the way the thinking goes we should be paying double for gasoline for example as in other countries that is what they pay. The other side of that argument should be then that we should pay about 25 cents a liter for gasoline as that is what they pay in Venezuela and some middle eastern countries.

I'm not sure how gasoline of Venezuela came into the conversation or what you're trying to get at. I'm comparing electricity rates from different providers in the same city. The point is that this increase may seem dramatic when sensationalized in headlines ('punishing customers, 28%, the sky is falling'), but when compared to rates that people using other providers are already paying it loses alot of its shock factor. Sorry, but hearing complaints over rate increases when you're still paying way less than I am, I have a hard time feeling sorry for you.

I don't look at this as normal rates skyrocketing, I look it as discounted rates ending.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

slootman wrote:I'm not sure how gasoline of Venezuela came into the conversation or what you're trying to get at. I'm comparing electricity rates from different providers in the same city. The point is that this increase may seem dramatic when sensationalized in headlines ('punishing customers, 28%, the sky is falling'), but when compared to rates that people using other providers are already paying it loses alot of its shock factor. Sorry, but hearing complaints over rate increases when you're still paying way less than I am, I have a hard time feeling sorry for you.

I don't look at this as normal rates skyrocketing, I look it as discounted rates ending.

10/10
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

John500 wrote:I still maintain that BCHydro and the Government should look and adjust those salaries for top managment, and even maybe middle management and set an example. But no that is not how things work. And the electorate keeps voting them in.

Yes, they should. If they cut them in half that would save you about 14¢ a month.

I have a better idea: look around at what other jurisdictions are paying for their power and thank your lucky stars you live in BC.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Another little bit of perspective:

Current Fortis "conservation" rate: 8.803

Current BC Hydro "conservation" rate: 6.90

6.90 x 1.28 (28% compounded increase) = 8.832

And for Canadian reference: http://www.ontario-hydro.com/index.php?page=electricity_rates_by_province

Even with the 28% increase BC Hydro will provide residential customers with some of the lowest rates in the country, and in North America.

The real "outlier" in terms of electricity costs to residents is Quebec. But that is forecast to change, as they are running out of cheap electricity also, with cost of new electricity being at best equal to the residential rates, and at worst more than double the current residential rates. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/electricity-in-quebec-1.1094675 If you really want to be nasty about it, Quebec has kept its artificially rates low by not putting the returns into provincial coffers - and running big deficits and collecting equalization...hmmm.

Face it folks, BC Hydro rates have kept artificially low for political expediency for decades - and that has meant that BC Hydro could not build up the appropriate capital reserves for new capacity that is now needed. You have been getting a "black Friday" price, and now you pay a regular discount price. Still a good deal.

W.A.C. Bennett wanted to build the site C dam, but didn't. Too bad, it's going to be very expensive to build now.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

BC Hydro conservative rate maybe presently 6.9/kwh but it is 10.38/kwh after you jump to the second tier. Add the increase to that and things don't look all that rosy! I also remember during the last election campaign promises that seem to have been broken!?
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

hobbyguy wrote:Face it folks, BC Hydro rates have kept artificially low for political expediency for decades - and that has meant that BC Hydro could not build up the appropriate capital reserves for new capacity that is now needed.

Don't forget that the government has siphoned multi millions from BC Hydro over the years to prop up their failed policies and fake balanced budgets over the last 13 years.Money that should have been used to build up appropriate capital reserves for new capacity that is now needed.
Wac Bennett is probably tossing and turning in his grave over how this government has run BC hydro into the ground.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

danmartin wrote:I also remember during the last election campaign promises that seem to have been broken!?

I just looked through their campaign document and nowhere it said "We won't increase BC Hydro rates". Simply because they don't have much control over them.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

maple leaf wrote:Don't forget that the government has siphoned multi millions from BC Hydro over the years to prop up their failed policies and fake balanced budgets over the last 13 years.Money that should have been used to build up appropriate capital reserves for new capacity that is now needed.
Wac Bennett is probably tossing and turning in his grave over how this government has run BC hydro into the ground.

Likewise don't you forget, that any monies which went into general revenue, still went toward the costs of operating BC.

People like you love to point fingers, and use topics like this to beat your drum, but at the same time conveniently ignore what might well have been, if things were done differently.

I'd be willing to bet that had no monies from BC Hydro gone to government, there would have been no alternative but to raise prices elsewhere, in order to keep providing you with the level services you take for granted. No doubt you'd also be squawking about the rise in costs of said services.

You've benefited from discount hydro rates for years, as well as other services, that would well have seen rate increases, or at the very least, rates higher than what they've been, but now that there's no alternative but to bring prices closer in line with what everyone else in North America is paying, you use it as ammo to attack government.

Could'a, would'a, should'a, are weak arguments when it comes to those suggesting the NDP might somehow have done better. It's also easy to say, when you can't prove it, and know full well no one can expect you to. Actually when they were in power, did they not benefit from the same revenue sources?

No one likes rate hikes, least of all me, but as the other person said so well, "Black Friday sale prices have come to an end", and now we have to suck it up, and pay more normal rates.

Let's be happy to have saved as much as we did, whilst discount rates were in effect.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

hobbyguy wrote:Another little bit of perspective:

And for Canadian reference: http://www.ontario-hydro.com/index.php?page=electricity_rates_by_province

Even with the 28% increase BC Hydro will provide residential customers with some of the lowest rates in the country, and in North America.

And for a bit of extra perspective on BC power rates and bills:
One of my brothers lives in Sask. I asked him for his rates and he sent me this copied right off his bill:

(My brother's October 5, 2013 bill):

Consumption 739 kw.h x 0.11130/kw.h = $ 82.25
PLUS - Basic monthly service charge 20.22
PLUS - Municipal Surcharge tax 10.25
PLUS - GST 5.12
So $ 117.84 for 739 kwh taxes & fees included
Considerably more than your $85 for 1000 kwh in BC!

This works out to close to $160 for 1000 KWH for Sask Power.
BC rates from my bills with all taxes and fees included is close to $85.00 for 1000KWH

Amost double in Sask for a single family home, with natural gas and electric backup for a family of 4.

I have to agree with many posters here - it is time for people to stop sniveling and whining about BC power rates.

As someone else said - the black Friday prices are coming to an end, but we will still have bargin rates here in BC, compared to most of the rest of the country.

NNA
(Edit to add a space and remove a double pasted line)
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Likewise don't you forget, that any monies which went into general revenue, still went toward the costs of operating BC.

More like went to prop up phoney balanced budgets,and to pay for Liberal mismanagement and failed policies.Anything that was built by the Liberals was done with 3p"s and they more or less just put that on the credit card and we will be paying for that for generations to come.Money siphoned from BC hydro went more to big wages and bonuses for managers and Liberal insider, friends, like CLCB and other ministries and 6 million pay offs.ETC! Any money that was over and above cost to operate BC hydro should have either gone to pay for expansion or upgrades or lower rates for the user.If the Liberals were good at management,there would be need to siphon money from Hydro and ICBC.It's there incompetence that is the reason BC Hydro is run into the ground,and has to raise rates.
But go ahead and fool yourself into believing we are better off because of it,when you figure in all other fees,charges and taxes ,and MSP premiums we are are not better off and many people will feel the pinch come this winter when they have to decide between heat and food.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:

And for a bit of extra perspective on BC power rates and bills:
One of my brothers lives in Sask. I asked him for his rates and he sent me this copied right off his bill:

(My brother's October 5, 2013 bill):

Consumption 739 kw.h x 0.11130/kw.h = $ 82.25
PLUS - Basic monthly service charge 20.22
PLUS - Municipal Surcharge tax 10.25
PLUS - GST 5.12
So $ 117.84 for 739 kwh taxes & fees included
Considerably more than your $85 for 1000 kwh in BC!

This works out to close to $160 for 1000 KWH for Sask Power.
BC rates from my bills with all taxes and fees included is close to $85.00 for 1000KWH

Amost double in Sask for a single family home, with natural gas and electric backup for a family of 4.

I have to agree with many posters here - it is time for people to stop sniveling and whining about BC power rates.

As someone else said - the black Friday prices are coming to an end, but we will still have bargin rates here in BC, compared to most of the rest of the country.

NNA
(Edit to add a space and remove a double pasted line)

For your argument to work that we should stop complaining about hydro rates ,you have to take all things into considerations.For instance,people in Sask don't pay anything for MSP premiums,they pay more for hydro ,we pay more for other things.Overall these rate hikes will effect many people who are struggling to make ends meet ,considering all fees,charges and taxes we pay here in BC.

Return to “B.C.”