Speed kills ... your pocketbook

KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Speed kills ... your pocketbook

Post by KL3-Something »

dogspoiler wrote:Hi KL3, at the accidents I have seen it seems to be the paramedics and firefighters dealing with the patients. The cops usually seem to be conducting interviews, measuring, taking pictures, writing tickets, and that sort of thing.

Did you miss the "help" part or the "bits and pieces" part of the post? While you may very well have seen paramedics and fire rescue deal with the patients. You may not realize who gets to render first aid until the paramedics or fire rescue people get there. "Patients" also indicates those who are still alive. The paramedics or fire rescue people don't help with ones that aren't. That's where the "bits and pieces" part comes in. After the photos of the bits and pieces are taken someone gets to pick them up.

I'm not attempting to over state what the police do in this regard. And I am definitely not trying to minimize the parts that the Fire and ambulance people do. I would not want their job (well sometimes maybe the fireman's job would be OK). But really, every one of those incidents is completely preventable.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

KL3-Something wrote: After the photos of the bits and pieces are taken someone gets to pick them up.

I have never even considered that before. What do you do with the bits and pieces after you pick them up?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

you would probably have to ask the person who actually picks up those pieces grandma.. such as the coroners office.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

What they do get to do, however, is help to pick up all the little bits and pieces of the people who are involved in the crashes that resulted from someone going too fast.

Are you saying that an increase of 10 kmp/h on that stretch of roadway is too much ? You think that people don't speed on it already ?

Gimme a break. I highly doubt an increase of a mere 10 kmp/h would do any thing but reduce the amount of speeders. t's obvious that particular road is engineered for speeds far greater than 50 kmp/p and there are many many more roads in the province that are as well.

While I won't jump on the "cash cow " band wagon , I won't be convinced that travelling at 50 on roads designed for 80 is going to reduce the number people "bits and pieces" you get to pick up... And it won't help with repetitive stress injuries to your ticket writing hand either .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

cutter7 wrote:you would probably have to ask the person who actually picks up those pieces grandma.. such as the coroners office.

Actually, cutter7, the coroner rarely gets their hands dirty. And they certainly don't pick anything up when it's time to clean up the scene.

And gramma, unless a particular bit forms an exhibit unto itself they are all put into the same bag as the bigger parts. So long as they can be matched up.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

ahh you must be talking about car parts eh? I am sure you play your role at an accident scene but as we all know it's not like the rcmp are bearing the brunt of all the dirty work as your original post suggested.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

so who does clean up after a highway accident ??? the tow truck drivers ??? I know if a death occurs in a building a Special Company gets called in..

and not trying to start anything but it can't be an Officer as the Kelowna Detachment called in a hazmat team to clean up the pee when that guy peed on the sign in front of the cop shop awhile back...
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

cutter7 wrote:ahh you must be talking about car parts eh? I am sure you play your role at an accident scene but as we all know it's not like the rcmp are bearing the brunt of all the dirty work as your original post suggested.

Ok. You win. I won't argue with you about it. I know what goes on out there. And I know what I have had to pick up before.

You just think you know.

cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

not arguing officer, just questioning your initial claims of involvement that seemed grossly inflated when you consider the fact that... tow truck drivers tow away the wrecks, ambulance workers take away patients and bodies. coroners show up and do reports... firemen show up and extract victims and help cut into vehicles and clean up spills etc.

You can still have a cookie,,, just not the hero cookie you were looking for.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Lets not make it personal people! Tone it down please.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
dwelsh11

Post by dwelsh11 »

*removed/heed the above post/Jo*
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

cutter7 wrote:not arguing officer, just questioning your initial claims of involvement that seemed grossly inflated when you consider the fact that... tow truck drivers tow away the wrecks, ambulance workers take away patients and bodies. coroners show up and do reports... firemen show up and extract victims and help cut into vehicles and clean up spills etc.

You can still have a cookie,,, just not the hero cookie you were looking for.

Who's looking for a hero cookie? Let's have a little look as the sentence from my post that seems you have you (and a couple others) up in arms:

What they do get to do, however, is help to pick up all the little bits and pieces of the people who are involved in the crashes that resulted from someone going too fast.

How is "help to pick up" a gross inflation?

Like i said I'm not going to argue about it.

But do me a favor next time your standing behind a paramedic in the line to get a coffee. Ask them when the last time was that they transported a body from a crash. Not a patient with signs of life. But a body that was, you know....dead. Specifically those ones with heads or lower extremities and such no longer attached.

process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

Unfortunate to say for the paramedics I know and grew up with the answer to that is always too many times for no other reason than driving like a complete idiot.
I was always told its more the smell than the visual. You can get used to visual but never the smell especially when there has been a fire.
Until I picked a few myself I didn't really understand the smell comment.
I do now.....

P99
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

process99 wrote:Unfortunate to say for the paramedics I know and grew up with the answer to that is always too many times for no other reason than driving like a complete idiot.
I was always told its more the smell than the visual. You can get used to visual but never the smell especially when there has been a fire.
Until I picked a few myself I didn't really understand the smell comment.
I do now.....

P99

My point is that Paramedics don't pick up and transport dead people. They transport those that are still alive or show signs of life and not those who have been pronounced or are obviously dead.

DerKaiser
Board Meister

Post by DerKaiser »

I have been in a few crashes myself. Lots of my friends have been in crashes. The reason was always some idiot, who didn't know how to drive...ran a stop sign, lights, etc....but strangely enough, never speed.

Return to “B.C.”