Speed kills ... your pocketbook

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Speed kills ... your pocketbook

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glacier wrote:That sounds like a big waste of taxpayer's money, especially when you consider that most people are on their best behavior during tests.

Why would it be taxpayers money? Wouldn't it be up the individual with the license to come up with the fee? Not that I completely agree with it, but there's nothing wrong with a refresher course every few years ... especially for professional drivers. However, I am a very strong advocate of mandatory driving school when one goes for their license, and get rid of this "N" nonsense ... either one is licnesed or not.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Why would it be taxpayers money? Wouldn't it be up the individual with the license to come up with the fee?

Sure , the individual who was speeding would pay their fine , but how many cops did it take to catch that speeder ?

if it takes 6 cops to write 5 tickets in 1 hour , it's a waste of money
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

MAPearce wrote:Sure , the individual who was speeding would pay their fine , but how many cops did it take to catch that speeder ?

if it takes 6 cops to write 5 tickets in 1 hour , it's a waste of money

Sorry, but I thought Glacier meant that the 5 year re-tests would be a waste of money, which I would assume be up to the individual licensee to cough up, not the taxpayers. Or did I miss something?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Hmmm... I don't know really,, It could be me who misread.

And your point would correct IMO. The individual pays fore relicencing.

Unlees that changed ..But I doubt THAT would ever happen
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Licence fees are regressive taxes in disguise.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glacier wrote:Licence fees are regressive taxes in disguise.

So are passports ;) and just to be clear I'd like to see mandatory training before any type of retesting - no point in trying go fix stupid if you don't go after the source
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I can agree with more comprehensive driver education over mom and dad teaching jr to drive......

But a retest should be just a retest. I don't think it should be pre requisite to travel over 50 km/pH..
Trigger69
Fledgling

Post by Trigger69 »

I have a simple solution to the entire "problem" if there is in fact a problem. Here's a thought....don't speed, drive what the posted limit says or maybe a few km's over and you should not have a problem. Pretty simple...
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Trigger69 wrote:I have a simple solution to the entire "problem" if there is in fact a problem. Here's a thought....don't speed, drive what the posted limit says or maybe a few km's over and you should not have a problem. Pretty simple...

Or, BC could finally come into the 20th Century (nevermind the 21st) and finally get serious about road safety and actually be proactive about reducing accidents instead of just pointing fingers at a couple of things here and there which does nothing in keeping our roads safer.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Trigger69 wrote:I have a simple solution to the entire "problem" if there is in fact a problem. Here's a thought....don't speed, drive what the posted limit says or maybe a few km's over and you should not have a problem. Pretty simple...

I think your missing the whole point...

Why make roads that are engineered for 80 k if the posted speed limit is going to be 50 k ???

It's pointless. It cost MORE money.It's NOT about saftey..

It's about collecting money.

If it were really true that "speed kills" , the Coq , 97 and the TCH would all have posted speed limits of no greater than 50k...

But ... They DON'T .
Trigger69
Fledgling

Post by Trigger69 »

MAPearce wrote:I think your missing the whole point...

Why make roads that are engineered for 80 k if the posted speed limit is going to be 50 k ???

It's pointless. It cost MORE money.It's NOT about saftey..

It's about collecting money.

If it were really true that "speed kills" , the Coq , 97 and the TCH would all have posted speed limits of no greater than 50k...

But ... They DON'T .

Oh I see the point...but I think you are missing the reality of the entire situation...that facts are this....the speed limits are what they are and nothing you or I can say will change that. If the speed limits are too slow for you, take your chances and speed...and if you get caught, well you can try telling the cop the road is engineered for this that and the other thing....my guess is it wont fly so *bleep* all you want...the fact remains the limits are there and posted....now follow them.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Trigger69 wrote:the speed limits are what they are and nothing you or I can say will change that.

You never know until one tries, but if you just want to sit there and take what ever is given to you, more power to you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

If there was in fact true speed justice, every person would have an independent speed determined by their driving ability, the condition of the car they drive, weather conditions and the character of the road upon which they are travelling. That is a good (and true) theory but not possible in the real world.

In the real world the speeds have to be set so that the worst 10% of drivers, in an old clunker, can navigate the changing road and weather conditions 99 times out of 100. The remaining 1% is why we have so many "accidents" at the present posted speeds.

Return to “B.C.”