"Conservation" officers kill inoffensive cougar in a cage

matai
Banned

"Conservation" officers kill inoffensive cougar in a cage

Post by matai »

Wildlife officers shot and killed a cougar in north Nanaimo on Tuesday after the animal was trapped live in the Hammond Bay area.

The B.C. Conservation Service received numerous complaints in recent weeks of a cougar roaming an area heavily populated by deer, which are drawn to the area by food put out by humans.

Unlike the cougar killed with a spear Sunday after it attacked a woman on Flores Island in Clayoquot Sound, this animal had not made any threatening actions toward humans.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/wildl ... d-1.620782

Do you think it was the right thing to do?

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Conservation officers kill inoffensive cougar in a cage

Post by MAPearce »

Nope....

It was just looking for a nice venison dinner...They should have shot the idiots who left food out for it's main prey....

Kinda like donating to the food bank or Gospel Mission instead of giving vagrants money
Last edited by MAPearce on Sep 12th, 2013, 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: "Conservation" officers kill inoffensive cougar in a cag

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

i don't know the 'laws','rules','regulations' or 'policies' related to this, but i do know from observation that cougars, black bears and other medium and large predators at least, other wildlife as well, are not relocated, they are destroyed.

in this particular instance i feel it was absolutely appropriate, and with these big cats, i cannot imagine relocation as a viable scenario. transferal to managed captive environment, i wouldn't wish on that poor cat.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

mathieu wrote: Do you think it was the right thing to do?

I don't know. Why don't you go try and pet it and scratch its belly?
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

Wrong.

Arrogant human beings.

Maybe along with this killing we could get the government to regulate how hot the Drive-Thru restaurant beverages are allowed to be, because humans beings seem to need THAT much baby sitting - THE WORLD IS ASTONISHING

When in doubt - Kill it.

MAPearce wrote:It was just looking for a nice venison dinner...They should have shot the idiots who left food out for it's main prey....
'

Agreed.

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:in this particular instance i feel it was absolutely appropriate, and with these big cats, i cannot imagine relocation as a viable scenario. transferal to managed captive environment, i wouldn't wish on that poor cat.

Yeah, death is always the best choice. (note favorite sarcasm)
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

BelieveNothing wrote: Wrong. Arrogant human beings.

<shrug> You go pet it then.

I’m not arguing Mike’s points, but blaming stupid humans wasn’t going to solve anything at the moment.
Yes, It’s very sad such a beautiful animal had to be killed, but again – were you going to take care of the situation ?
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

steven lloyd wrote:<shrug> You go pet it then.

I’m not arguing Mike’s points, but blaming stupid humans wasn’t going to solve anything at the moment.
Yes, It’s very sad such a beautiful animal had to be killed, but again – were you going to take care of the situation ?

Arrogance would have me pet it, or kill it - Arrogance says I dominate.

I am not arrogant.

Re-location is humane, fair and right.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Is there some part of "they will go where the food is" that people don't understand?

Deer are food for cougars. People feed the deer so the deer stay in town. That attracts the cougars - which are also kinda fond of kitty cats and puppy dogs - and humans, big and small. Cougars are sneaky - you probably won't see it until it has your kid by the throat.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

i will add that he cougar population in bc is healthy. that is certainly adverse to any particular individual such as this one. the genetic diversity is likely good if not perfect in a sense. cats can expand their population quickly, especially with adequate or abundant food.

in my ideal world, we would build our communities to be cougar resistant, but i would hesitate at proof, and then let the natural cycle of boom and bust take its course without our interference.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

A quick shot is the most humane way of disposing of this problem animal that became habituated to hunting in town. Good job by the COS before it killed someone's child.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

BelieveNothing wrote: Arrogance would have me pet it, or kill it - Arrogance says I dominate.

I am not arrogant.

Re-location is humane, fair and right.

<shrug> Re-location has been shown to be cruel, pointless and ineffective.
Not being willing (or able?) to challenge pre-conceived notions is arrogant.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

BelieveNothing wrote:Re-location is humane, fair and right.

Relocation is not a solution and creates more problems for the animals.
Educating the public regarding the hazards of feeding wildlife would be beneficial.
Neighbours who feed deer in the area need to know their actions unwittingly contributed to the death of the wild cat.

http://bigcatrescue.org/relocating-bobcats-and-cougars/

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazi ... onment.asp

http://www.felineconservation.org/FCF-Y ... Cougar.pdf
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Fancy wrote:Educating the public regarding the hazards of feeding wildlife would be beneficial.

There's been a lot of "educating the public". Everyone knows not to feed the deer. Everyone knows to clean the fruit off their trees. They just don't think they should do it because the deer are "cute" or they want their kids to "learn" about wildlife (HA!).

Neighbours who feed deer in the area need to know their actions unwittingly contributed to the death of the wild cat.

10/10

So, there ya go, bleedin' hearts. If people discouraged the wildlife, the COs wouldn't be having to shoot the damn things.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

go figure another beautiful creature slaughtered because man is afraid!

next we will read about the one in Naramata being taken out....

Out of control C/O's!!!!!!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Man is not afraid? Wouldn't you be if attacked by a cougar? Every thread regarding this topic you jump in stating out of control CO's without any facts. Relocation isn't a viable option. Try a different approach in getting the word out to the public about discouraging wildlife from civilized areas.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “B.C.”