"Conservation" officers kill inoffensive cougar in a cage

skydawg
Lord of the Board

Re: "Conservation" officers kill inoffensive cougar in a cag

Post by skydawg »

tommythecat wrote:Those people who "complained" are probably one's that also leave they're garbage out the night before and have bird feeders all over they're property.

EXACTLY. And then what do they do? Go crying to the CO about the problem they caused. Bloody idiots
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Fancy wrote:Obviously those that complained disagree.

Yeah, never heard of people screaming their lungs out of their body and calling to murder when they face a monstruous spider or big-as-hell-from-another-planet-alien tiny mouse either eh?

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Seriously? A woman was recently severely injured by a cougar and you want to compare spiders? LOL!!

A high number of complaints in a residential area dictated this cougar was a problem.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

Fancy wrote:Seriously? A woman was recently severely injured by a cougar and you want to compare spiders? LOL!!

It was injured by "a" cougar, or by "this" cougar?

Spiders are dangerous too you know. If I remember, someone was attacked by a brown recluse in the area recently. Click at your own risk: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/spider_b ... e12_em.htm
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This thread is about cougars (not spiders) so please stick to the topic.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

matai wrote:It was injured by "a" cougar, or by "this" cougar?

"She" was critically injured by a different cougar that her husband killed. Vancouver Island has a healthy population of these animals and once they become habituated to residential areas they then pose a risk to the public.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

matai wrote:
The topic is: Was it necessary to KILL the cougar, or could have it been brought back into the wild. Or given to a zoo.

Have you come up with the money yet to house and feed this cougar? I don't recall any response from you yet. Please provide an update as to how much money you're willing to provide to feed a cougar for a year.

You'll need to provide 52 deer per year for it, as they eat one a week. Oh wait, you were against killing deer too. That's a bit of a dilemma now, isn't it?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

matai wrote:
He was looking for deer, NOT kids. It's a cougar, not an ogre. Stop twisting the story and read back my very first post at the top of the very first page. It's all there.

And it you don't want to relocate him, give it to a zoo or refuge or where ever humans would be more than thrilled to give him cookies. This cougar certainly DID NOT HAVE to be put down.

How do you know it was looking for deer? How do you know it wouldn't kill a person if it had the chance? Apparently, you know little about predators' behaviour. Predators are opportunists and will kill whatever they perceive as a meal. Ever heard of "survival of the fittest?" They don't survive by being fussy about where their next meal comes from.

A cat like this that has lost its inherent fear of humans and comes to town is looking to kill whatever presents itself for a meal, and that can include people. To say you KNOW it was only going to kill deer is a huge pile of baloney.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

^ If you had read the link in the original post, you wouldn't be asking those question. Unless you are suggesting the CO's are wrong,,,,,,,, then wouldn't it be possible they were wrong in the killing the cougar ?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

driveangry wrote:^ If you had read the link in the original post, you wouldn't be asking those question. Unless you are suggesting the CO's are wrong,,,,,,,, then wouldn't it be possible they were wrong in the killing the cougar ?

They aren't wrong in killing ANY habituated cougar, as this one was. It was a threat and danger to the public and needed to be put down.

“Even though it hadn’t shown any aggression, (it was) the fact it had become habituated, the fact it was comfortable around people,” said conservation officer Sgt. Ben York. “We won’t move it somewhere else on Vancouver Island and have the same behaviour. It had obviously learned the urban environment is a rich environment. There are no guarantees it wouldn’t take the next step and attack a pet, and then attack a human.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

?[/quote]

They aren't wrong in killing ANY habituated cougar, as this one was. It was a threat and danger to the public and needed to be put down.

“Even though it hadn’t shown any aggression, (it was) the fact it had become habituated, the fact it was comfortable around people,” said conservation officer Sgt. Ben York. “We won’t move it somewhere else on Vancouver Island and have the same behaviour. It had obviously learned the urban environment is a rich environment. There are no guarantees it wouldn’t take the next step and attack a pet, and then attack a human.[/quote]

You took my last statement out of context. I am quite aware of protocol for "habituated" animals. I would suggest reading the entire post before attempting to reply with a condescending post.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I certainly don't understand your point. I agree with the officer's assessment.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Fancy wrote:I certainly don't understand your point. I agree with the officer's assessment.

I'll explain the best I can. I'm new here and still learning how to use this site. It's so very different to what I'm used to. My post above was to fisher-dude. He asked several questions that were answered in the link in the original post of this thread, either he didn't read the link or disagreed with the CO's assessment.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

By his questions, Fisher-Dude was making his own point. The cat may have been drawn into the area by the number of deer but does not mean the cat would only take deer.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Fancy wrote:By his questions, Fisher-Dude was making his own point. The cat may have been drawn into the area by the number of deer but does not mean the cat would only take deer.

And now I will make my point.
Fish-dude asked " How do you know it was looking for deer?"
The link goes to the story titled " Wildlife officers kill cougar that was hunting deer in Nanaimo neighborhood"

So either he didn't read the link or doesn't believe the wildlife officers.

Return to “B.C.”