CUPE strike

WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

CUPE strike

Post by WeatherWoman »

There is a strong possiblity that CUPE staff working in schools will be striking in the next week, which will shut down schools.

I am needing up to date news articles or CUPE bulletins. Dated today or yesterday is best. Please post links here. I am also open to communication for CUPE members on their thoughts about when it will occur.

Thanks
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Darkre
Board Meister

Re: CUPE strike

Post by Darkre »

Should be able to find everything you need here http://bcschools.cupe.ca/news
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

Even the CUPE staff I know says their site isn't very updated.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Tentative deal for support workers heads off looming strike in B.C. schools

September 19, 2013 - 5:30 AM

VANCOUVER - Looming job action by 33,000 unionized public school support staff in British Columbia has been averted.

The BC Public School Employers' Association and CUPE BC, which represents 27,000 of the affected workers, say a tentative two year contract has been reached.

It contains a total 3.5 per cent wage increase over the life of the deal, with a one per cent boost retroactive to July 1, a 2.5 per cent increase on Feb. 1, 2014 and a final hike of half a per cent next May.

The agreement expires June 30, 2014.

Both sides must still ratify the tentative pact, with voting dates to be announced, but CUPE negotiators say the terms will be recommended to the CUPE BC K-12 Presidents' Council for endorsement.

Public school employees, including education assistants, clerical staff, trades workers, bus drivers and others, have been without a contract for more than a year and schools in some parts of the province were bracing for a strike that could have occurred as early as Monday.

News from © The Canadian Press, 2013
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

So I wonder where the "savings" were found "elsewhere" to provide the 3.5% wage increase? Maybe the BCTF members from Vancouver gave up 6 of their 12 annual massages so they didn't lose any paycheques to a CUPE strike.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

WeatherWoman wrote:There is a strong possiblity that CUPE staff working in schools will be striking in the next week, which will shut down schools.

I am needing up to date news articles or CUPE bulletins. Dated today or yesterday is best. Please post links here. I am also open to communication for CUPE members on their thoughts about when it will occur.

Thanks

There should be no reason to shut down schools, as much as CUPE like the BCTF use the suffering of children and parents as a means to a disgusting end. Just bring in replacement workers, temporary foreign workers if need be, pay them the union rate. I wouldn't be surprised if they're better than the CUPE workers. Let the union sit for a few months and contemplate how evil they are being trying to use children as pawns, while children continue to go to school. No union should be rewarded for making children suffer.
Not afraid to say "It".
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

I am not a fan of school closures. It too hard on families and doesn't great any support for the workers.

Apparently the email CUPE workers received to day state something different than what the media is reporting.

That it still needs to be voted on and the members won't see the deal until tonight.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

There should be no reason to shut down schools, as much as CUPE like the BCTF use the suffering of children and parents as a means to a disgusting end. Just bring in replacement workers, temporary foreign workers if need be, pay them the union rate. I wouldn't be surprised if they're better than the CUPE workers. Let the union sit for a few months and contemplate how evil they are being trying to use children as pawns, while children continue to go to school. No union should be rewarded for making children suffer.

funny how you left out the goverment bargaining in good faith , sucks they hurting the children just as much to
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I have to wonder at what point in time "blackmail" became a synonym for "bargaining in good faith", since you seem to imply that's what the unions are doing, and government as always are the bad guys?

Most public sector unions at this point in time are nothing but a bunch of spoiled brats, who have zero qualms about throwing temper tantrums when they don't get their way, and any fallout experienced by innocent bystanders is just tough noogies.

I'm glad government has the stones to stand up to the shenanigans, and look out for the interests of those who feel enough is enough.

If things were even a fraction as bad as many union negotiators would have us believe, it simply amazing that in a free country, these poor hard done by union members, don't just pack up and go to where the grass is greener, yet they don't appear to from what I can see.

I guess things aren't quite as bad as is made out.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “B.C.”