RCMP road check

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: RCMP road check

Post by flamingfingers »

MAPearce wrote:
OR , perhaps just by the driver merely breathing.....

If you actually did drive a cab, did you enjoy sharing air with some of your 'riper' clients?

ICK.
Chill
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I did "actually " drive a cab....AND , no I didn't enjoy the riper clients. But they gots the munney I need to feed the family.

You do what ya gotta do .

But they never had to say "jack squat" to let me know how "ripe " there were . Smellin booze on some one isn't rocket science.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

MAPearce wrote:
Thought you guys could get that from " Yes officer , I do have a licence and here's my registration" .....

OR , perhaps just by the driver merely breathing.....

Guess they could always ask you how your mom's feeling after last night, but I think "where are you coming from" is more appropriate.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Nah , I'm thinking "have you had anything to drink tonight " should be enough...

If they can't smell booze with a simple "No officer" , they should have failed Depot ..

If it's about detecting the smell of alcohol , I can tell you , they can smell fresh booze coming from a week old 6 pack of empties in the trunk of a 350 volvo...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

While alcohol is one substance they are looking for, there are others and there are other reasons other that there are road checks.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

*removed/Jo*

But should they be wasting their time on so many questions ? . They are trained in all this stuff right ???

I don't see the worth in the expense of their training if they need to ask so many questions to determine if the driver should provide a breath sample ..

Nevermind the "small talk" , while they're playin 20 questions with one guy, the drunk driver gets wave through because of the idle banter officer friendly is playing with contestant number one ..

That's my point.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

My point is you really do not have a point!
You yet again assume they are looking just for a drunk!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

MAPearce wrote:
But should they be wasting their time on so many questions ? . They are trained in all this stuff right ???

I don't see the worth in the expense of their training if they need to ask so many questions to determine if the driver should provide a breath sample ..

Nevermind the "small talk" , while they're playin 20 questions with one guy, the drunk driver gets wave through because of the idle banter officer friendly is playing with contestant number one ..

That's my point.

You, like many, seem to think that cops get "trained" in every aspect if their job. They don't. A lot if their job comes from experience on the road. Learning as they go, screwing up and (hopefully) learning from it.

When you were driving a cab did you get trained in how to deal with all the ways a drunk can be a pain in the *bleep*? Or did you just learn as you went?

Some guys are cut out to drive drunks home in a cab. Some guys aren't. Just like some guys have a nose for detecting impaired drivers. Some guys don't and need to spend a little more time to clue in (aka "establish their grounds").
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

When you were driving a cab did you get trained in how to deal with all the ways a drunk can be a pain in the *bleep*? Or did you just learn as you went?

Some guys are cut out to drive drunks home in a cab. Some guys aren't. Just like some guys have a nose for detecting impaired drivers. Some guys don't and need to spend a little more time to clue in (aka "establish their grounds").

Well KL , I did get trained in "how to deal" with drunks ... It's called "customer service" . Considering , as a night shift cabbie , better than 75 % of my fares were indeed drinkers. They were the bread and butter of those who made our living driving a cab. All I had to ask was " Where too ", and I could detect alcohol...

In short , I was taught to have a thick skin if I wanted to make money. I can't imagine cops being taught any differently , unless you want to tell me Gramps , uncle and cousin Pearce are all wrong.

Of course we all pick up "tricks of the trade" as we go , you can't deny that those in a certain trade aren't taught what they "need to know " before they start their first shift .

Return to “B.C.”