Blockades Halt Logging Operations

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Blockades Halt Logging Operations

Post by Glacier »

Blockades have halted logging in two separate cut blocks in the Chilcotin

RCMP, local mill supervisors and logging company spokespersons have confirmed there are two separate blockades west of Williams Lake hampering logging efforts.

One blockade was established last Friday at the junction of the 2800 and 3200 Roads. Efforts are underway for both parties to meet today to determine issues regarding the cause of this situation.

The Ministry and RCMP are still trying to determine who the parties involved are and their concerns regarding the second blockade near the Big Meadow (Gang Ranch) logging camp.
Last edited by Glacier on Sep 27th, 2013, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Native Blockades Halt Logging Operations

Post by Glacier »

Logging operation blockade in the South Chilcotin are centered around moose population decline and traditional First Nations hunting rights being infringed upon.

Yunesit’in Chief Russell Myers Ross says, “The best resolve comes when everyone fully understands the issues and seek to address them. There is a desperate sense of urgency coming from the community about the moose decline, and people want to see action and all means of preventing further compromise of the habitat.”

The Yunesit’in Chief and Council say they are looking to set up a meeting to help resolve the issue.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Glacier wrote:Logging operation blockade in the South Chilcotin are centered around moose population decline and traditional First Nations hunting rights being infringed upon.

Yunesit’in Chief Russell Myers Ross says, “The best resolve comes when everyone fully understands the issues and seek to address them. There is a desperate sense of urgency coming from the community about the moose decline, and people want to see action and all means of preventing further compromise of the habitat.”

The Yunesit’in Chief and Council say they are looking to set up a meeting to help resolve the issue.

Traditional????

Cultural Heritage

First Nations:

The area that is now South Chilcotin Mountains Park is known to have been used by First Nations peoples for at least the past 300 years, and possibly for as long as thousands of years. The area falls within the territory of three Nations: Tsilhqot’in, St’at’imc, and Secwepemc.

Deer and mountain goats were valued for their meat and hides, while wool and horns from goats were used for salmon spears. Special ceremonies were performed before hunting grizzly and black bear as bears were considered to be too human-like. They valued the meat, fat, hides and fur. Moose did not move into the area until about 1920. (Tyhurst, 1984).
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ Quite true that there were no moose in the Chilcotin before the '20s.

Here's the absolute irony in this: moose were attracted to the area after logging opened the forest canopy and created suitable habitat and food sources.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

It's a food source TODAY, which is what many accuse First Nations people of not living in...funny how history can be used to negate Aboriginal people's current concerns, but god forbid they discuss their residential school experiences prior to the last one closing in 1996.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The moose populations have been declining the Chilcotin in part because of the huge wolf populations, but I know three people out there who have shot over 50 wolves between them in the past 2 years, so things might improve soon.

It is true that the moose moved in and the caribou left, but I'm not sure if it was human caused. It could merely be a natural migration that would have happened anyway. Animals do expand their territory. My father-in-law in central Alaska has come across a cougar even though the State wildlife experts tell him that they don't live in his area. They basically told him that he must have seen a lynx even though he could see the tail marks in the snow.

As for the moose in southern BC, I was talking to a guy in Vernon recently who moved to Kamloops back in the 1960s. He was telling me that a native guy there relayed a story of his grandpa being the first person in the area to come across a moose. It was a big deal because he had never seen nor heard of such a strange looking animal before.
- Douglas Murray
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

they are not natives, please stop the misleading posts
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Blockades Halt Logging Operations

Post by the truth »

what are they called this month
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

coffeeFreak wrote:It's a food source TODAY, which is what many accuse First Nations people of not living in...funny how history can be used to negate Aboriginal people's current concerns, but god forbid they discuss their residential school experiences prior to the last one closing in 1996.

TODAY, moose harvest in the Cariboo is regulated by high-odds limited entry hunts with NO general open season.

Time for your indian cousins to start living in TODAY'S world and apply for an LEH to kill a moose like the rest of us. No draw, no moose hunting, it's that simple.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Rwede wrote:TODAY, moose harvest in the Cariboo is regulated by high-odds limited entry hunts with NO general open season.

Time for your indian cousins to start living in TODAY'S world and apply for an LEH to kill a moose like the rest of us. No draw, no moose hunting, it's that simple.

Here's an outline of the 2013/14 BC hunting regulations Rwede in case you weren't clear on what the law says about First Nations' hunting rights. It appears my "indian cousins" are actually following today's law of the land:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/leh_13_14.pdf

If you don't like these current regulations I would suggest you take it up with the government.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

So on the one hand you want to live in today's world and hunt these newcomer moose, and on the other hand you want to go back 300 years and have no limits, no closed season, and no regard for conservation.

Okay, I understand, it's about having your moose and eating it too.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Rwede wrote:So on the one hand you want to live in today's world and hunt these newcomer moose, and on the other hand you want to go back 300 years and have no limits, no closed season, and no regard for conservation.

Take it up with the law makers of the land Rwede...and your last comment is kind of funny :)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Rwede wrote:So on the one hand you want to live in today's world and hunt these newcomer moose, and on the other hand you want to go back 300 years and have no limits, no closed season, and no regard for conservation.

ya thats about it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “B.C.”