Doctors in B.C. can now prescribe heroin

omisimaw
Guru

Re: Doctors in B.C. can now prescribe heroin

Post by omisimaw »

It is amazing how having the legal right to prescribe a drug that provides a quality of life to your patient is taken so out of context.
Doctors are not now or do I believe ever going to just prescribe heroin to any patient that requests it. Or at least one would hope it never comes to that, similar to how much abuse of prescribing antibiotics has come to.
At present in BC out of the thousands and thousands of hypes out there we are actually only talking about 15/20 individuals who have been obtaining the drug legally by prescription because all the other methods do not work on them.
The one person on TV who will loose this was heartbreaking. Older fellow who knows full well what it is like to live addicted and near death and only wants to be well. This program is working for him and he has a quality of life he would not have living on the street.
There is no cure for addictions ... once an addict always an addict .... but a recovering addict at least has a chance, as do their families and others around them!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Doctors in B.C. can now prescribe heroin

Post by cutter7 »

omisimaw wrote:It is amazing how having the legal right to prescribe a drug that provides a quality of life to your patient is taken so out of context.
Doctors are not now or do I believe ever going to just prescribe heroin to any patient that requests it. Or at least one would hope it never comes to that, similar to how much abuse of prescribing antibiotics has come to.
At present in BC out of the thousands and thousands of hypes out there we are actually only talking about 15/20 individuals who have been obtaining the drug legally by prescription because all the other methods do not work on them.
The one person on TV who will loose this was heartbreaking. Older fellow who knows full well what it is like to live addicted and near death and only wants to be well. This program is working for him and he has a quality of life he would not have living on the street.
There is no cure for addictions ... once an addict always an addict .... but a recovering addict at least has a chance, as do their families and others around them!

I would have to disagree with you... not only will doctors prescribe heroin. they have been since 2005 in vancouver.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/vancouver ... t-1.553239
studies have shown this program to have been very successful, I can't understand why it hasn't spread.

Return to “B.C.”