ICBC - The biggest ripoff ever

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: ICBC - The biggest ripoff ever

Post by flamingfingers »

ICBC = ChristyLiberal Government cash cow.
BC Hydro = ChristyLiberal cash cow.
BC Ferries = Private enterprise friends of ChristyLiberal cash cow.
Cash cow = US!!
Chill
DerKaiser
Board Meister

Post by DerKaiser »

...and that's why ICBC is, and will remain, a rip off....
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

^^ Not really .ICBC is not the rip off ,the liberal government is the rip off.Siphoning off all ICBC's surplus.Otherwise there would be no need for ICBC to have such a surplus and your rates would be not so high.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

skytech2 wrote:I know that BC means bring cash but I don't even know what to say about ICBC.
My motorcycle was $133 to insure in Alberta - $850 here
- pretty well the same coverage...............

I hear this all the time "I only paid $XXX for the exact same insurance in (province) I got in BC. In the case of skytech2, it was "pretty well the same coverage".

So here's just one example.... Both BC and Alberta have what is called "Accident Benefits", which will pay, for example medical expenses for persons injured in an accident. These benefits are separate from the liability insurance for whatever vehicle is responsible for the accident. Even if you crash your vehicle and are completely at fault you can get assistance for medical payments.

Here's a excerpt from the BC Insurance (Vehicle) Regulations
Section 3 of Schedule 3

Medical or rehabilitation benefits

3 (1) For the purpose of section 88, the amount by which the liability of the corporation is limited is the amount set out in

(a) the certificate providing coverage for the accident, or

(b) if more than one certificate provides coverage, in the certificate providing the higher or highest limit or coverage.

(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), the amount by which the liability of the corporation is limited in respect of each insured injured on or after January 1, 1990 in the same occurrence shall not exceed $150 000.

In Alberta they have the "Alberta Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program"
http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publicati ... nefits.pdf
    Section B - Accident Benefits - S.P.F. No. 4
    Alberta

(b) injuries......
    all reasonable expenses incurred within 2 years from the date of the accident......
    to the limit of $50,000 per person

This is just the medical treatments and the difference is three times what is available in AB.

Ironically I'd say that's even more important considering the example given by skytech2 was for a motorcycle.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

You obviously have never been injured in an accident in BC and had to deal with ICBC. First rule of thumb, if you are in an accident in BC and are injured or believe you were injured, go get a lawyer. PERIOD. Do not deal with ICBC as they have zero interest in your situation. I speak from experience.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

rookie314 wrote:You obviously have never been injured in an accident in BC and had to deal with ICBC. First rule of thumb, if you are in an accident in BC and are injured or believe you were injured, go get a lawyer. PERIOD. Do not deal with ICBC as they have zero interest in your situation. I speak from experience.

Actually that's good advice rookie314 no manner who you are insured with. All insurance companies no matter public or private are looking out for #1 themselves.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

rookie314 wrote:You obviously have never been injured in an accident in BC and had to deal with ICBC. First rule of thumb, if you are in an accident in BC and are injured or believe you were injured, go get a lawyer. PERIOD. Do not deal with ICBC as they have zero interest in your situation. I speak from experience.

The insurance information I quoted, pertains to what is called "No Fault". For example you cause an accident and are liable for the accident. ICBC has a contractual duty to pay your medical.

If ICBC refused you compensation for this type of coverage they would be liable for a claim of "Bad Faith", something they don't want.

You can hire a lawyer "if you are in an accident in BC and are injured", but if you are at fault, and that isn't the issue, you'll be paying the lawyer up front and their involvement, likely won't change anything.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
derrell

Post by derrell »

grammafreddy wrote:How much would it cost in Alberta if you got a speeding ticket? How much in BC?

DON'T SPEED!!!
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Your insurance may have been cheaper in AB, but how good was it? Did you pick a company with the best coverage, or just the cheapest you could find?

grammafreddy wrote:How much would it cost in Alberta if you got a speeding ticket? How much in BC?

Or if you're in an accident.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Never was able to understand that in case of an accident ICBC represents both parties. Also imo its a crime the government takes so much out of ICBC to fund their general funds. In Manitoba this happened as well until a lawyer took them to court and won. Resulting in lower insurance rates and approx. $400 cash back to the general public. BC free enterprise except with ICBC.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

My insurance only changed by $4 per year when I moved here from Ontario.

The MSP premiums are the real rip off, IMO. I thought Canada had "free" health care - guess BC isn't a part of Canada. haha ;)
Your bias suits you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Woodenhead wrote:The MSP premiums are the real rip off, IMO. I thought Canada had "free" health care - guess BC isn't a part of Canada. haha ;)

They just collect differently in Ontario. You're still paying.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ontario+h ... 0127714983
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Woodenhead wrote:My insurance only changed by $4 per year when I moved here from Ontario.

The MSP premiums are the real rip off, IMO. I thought Canada had "free" health care - guess BC isn't a part of Canada. haha ;)

Its trade off in BC, lower the income tax rate but install MSP premiums. I suspect Ontario's medical services funds come out of Provincial income tax collected. (this was before they to put into place their own premiuns)

Nothing is free if a paycheque's are issued (Doctor's, Nurses & other staff..etc etc) & equipment is purchased (MRI, beds, operating rooms...etc etc) and building are built (Hospitals....etc...etc)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

lol guys I know all that, hence "free" "haha" and the wink. But thanks anyway. ;P
Your bias suits you.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I pay about the same here as I did in Alberta. There was a big price advantage with insurance living just outside of the major cities in Alberta, rather than in the city. Not sure if that has something to do with the coverage the OP is comparing to. I also qualify for the top discount here... does the OP? Windshield insurance is expensive in Alberta, but not as bad here. "Essentially the same" and "the same" can mean some pretty big differences when all added up.

There's a lot of factors in play here - the situation isn't usually as black and white as people would have you believe.

And everybody thinks they pay too much for insurance regardless of where they live. Ask Albertans and they'll tell you they pay too much (and more than everybody else). Then ask someone from Saskatchewan and they'll say the same. Keep moving east and you'll keep hearing the same story. Insurance is something everybody loves to complain about.

Return to “B.C.”