Longtime resident seeking citizenship hits bureaucratic wall

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Longtime resident seeking citizenship hits bureaucratic

Post by Captain Awesome »

Not even a citizen but already badmouthing the system. Go back to Germany if you don't like it here.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ He's lived here and paid into the system for over four decades, and you don't think he has a right to criticize incompetence?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

gardengirl wrote:Yes, well this guy had ample opportunity to do this over the last 40 years. He was too important to wait in line with everyone else and now thinks he should get special treatment.

He's not asking for special treatment, he's trying to understand why its now taking something years to complete as opposed to months as it used to .

Captain Awesome wrote:Not even a citizen but already badmouthing the system. Go back to Germany if you don't like it here.

Spoken like a true Canadian.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

LoneWolf_53 wrote:^^you don't think he has a right to criticize incompetence?

Where do you see incompetence, exactly?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Dizzy1 wrote:Spoken like a true Canadian.

Ironically, I'm not.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Where do you see incompetence, exactly?

Sounds to me thats what he's looking for to see where it is.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Where do you see incompetence, exactly?

That government nincompoops bog down what should be a routine processing of data, in needless expensive additional steps, without any obvious justification for doing so, other than as someone suggested, to cover their butts.

If you don't see any incompetence here that's your prerogative I suppose, but I'm willing to bet all those stuck waiting for 36 months for some judge, simply as a result of stupid rules, or a government employee make work project, would be inclined to agree with me.

As far as I'm concerned anyone who has lived here in good standing, not to mention paid into the system for over four decades, should be an automatic citizen. Then again that would take a job away from some pencil pusher, so perish the thought.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

LoneWolf_53 wrote:As far as I'm concerned anyone who has lived here in good standing, not to mention paid into the system for over four decades, should be an automatic citizen.

So, anybody should be able to walk into a Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration with an expired passport (translation = no valid document) of a country where one used to live decades ago, and be given a citizenship with no criminal check (as required by Canadian law), no background check (as required by Canadian law) - simply because this person _says_ he/she lived here for a long time? How do you know this person is indeed in good standing if the lengthly background check with RCMP across all provinces is not needed? How do you know this person indeed lived here for this long if the check with CSBA isn't completed? " - Oh yeah, he says he lived here for a while, no documents, let's just give him a passport and a citizenship, he says he's good for it."

Just until somebody uncovers a story about an immigrant who was given a citizenship even though he committed crimes overseas - then the newspapers run front page material "Somebody Didn't Do Their Job!" and blame it on lazy incompetent govt workers.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The point is he had all the proof, all the required documentations with the exception of an expired passport from X amount of years ago that was not brung to his attention, he had an appointment when he was told he was required to bring this extra piece of proof.

So if he's already waited his time, made his appointment and then he's required to bring something else because of a miscommunication, there is no way that they should be put back to the end of the line let alone not even get a response for almost a year before the wheels can get rolling again. So what if next time, there is another piece of documentaion that one is required, should they be put at the end of the line again? And the time after that, and after that?
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

I thought it said in the story that he originally waited in line and then lost patience and left, never to go back. If that's the case then yes it is his fault for waiting so long.
This is not the first time I've heard a story like this and they've all come down to the individuals not doing their due diligence when they should have and now it's biting them in the proverbial *bleep*.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

From the article:

Nitzek is only allowed to enter the States for three months at a time on his German passport.

He holds a current German passport.

The government bureaucrat, however, refused to put his application through, because he hadn’t brought along a misplaced, decade-old expired German passport.

He didn't know he had to present ALL his passports for proof of residency.
Nitzek had brought his current passport, and submitted reams of documentation to prove he’d been living in Canada and paying taxes for four decades.

Like Income Tax returns, property tax receipts, and at age 70 he probably was collecting CPP!

“If you are told, here are the reasons, why then I understand that. But at least tell me the reasons why there is an issue,” said her husband.

You would think there was a reason, or many reasons why he needed an appointment with a judge, wouldn't you? Doesn't seem beyond the realm of reason for him to be told "why" does it?
Chill
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

“I went down to the [immigration] office I think about 40 years ago, actually, and I ended up in a huge lineup,” said Nitzek. “I was waiting and waiting just to get the forms. And after about two hours — that’s it — I’m leaving.”

Until recently, he said, he wasn't completely ready to relinquish his German/EU passport.

Sucks to be him I guess then, should have waited in line like everyone else.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

It is showing a processing time of 25 months for the application on a routine case, with all paperwork required and asked for handed in.
After this processing it is then a matter of studying and passing the test. unless
If you are 55 years of age or older, you do not have to take the test

I think what most long time residents do not know, or do not want to know, is it is not just a matter of filling in a form, paying a fee and making application for a Canadian passport....

It is a process and takes time.

What if I cannot attend my interview with a citizenship judge? Can I reschedule it?

Yes. If you are not available on the date and time to meet with a citizenship judge as part of your application for citizenship, you can schedule a new date and time.

The notice asking you to appear will contain the details of:

How to schedule a new appointment.
What will happen if you do not attend the meeting.

Canada Day ceremony:
The final step in becoming a Canadian citizen. During the citizenship ceremony, candidates for citizenship aged 14 and over must take the oath of citizenship. After taking the oath, new citizens receive their citizenship certificate.

Not sure if this is done more than once a year.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote:So, anybody should be able to walk into a Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration with an expired passport (translation = no valid document) of a country where one used to live decades ago, and be given a citizenship with no criminal check (as required by Canadian law), no background check (as required by Canadian law) - simply because this person _says_ he/she lived here for a long time? How do you know this person is indeed in good standing if the lengthly background check with RCMP across all provinces is not needed? How do you know this person indeed lived here for this long if the check with CSBA isn't completed? " - Oh yeah, he says he lived here for a while, no documents, let's just give him a passport and a citizenship, he says he's good for it."

Just until somebody uncovers a story about an immigrant who was given a citizenship even though he committed crimes overseas - then the newspapers run front page material "Somebody Didn't Do Their Job!" and blame it on lazy incompetent govt workers.

If you'd process all the information presented in regards to this fellows case, you should come to the realization that most, actually all, of your points are moot.

Return to “B.C.”