What do you suggest?

matai
Banned

What do you suggest?

Post by matai »

Judging by your personal experience, what do you suggest, a passport or an enhanced driver's licence to travel to the States using the ground method?

Is it worth it to pay for an enhanced DL or better to just go straight forward for the passport.?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What do you suggest?

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Passport, because when the time comes that you wish to fly, your enhanced drivers licence will be useless.

A passport is also good around the globe whereas the drivers licence is not.

That fancy drivers licence is really only useful for those who live along the border and cross to shop in the USA frequently, or if you're a trucker I suppose.

Another advantage with the passport is that you can now get one that's good for ten years, something that also beats the drivers licence.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Go with passport.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Passport
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Qube

Post by Qube »

I would go with the passport for much of the same reasons listed above.

If you're travelling frequently to the US (as I was a year ago) look into getting a Nexus card. $50 for 5 years & no headaches. I only used it for flying to the US but if you're using land crossings you can register your vehicle to your Nexus card & wave it at an unmanned booth with an express lane when crossing the border.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Qube wrote:I would go with the passport for much of the same reasons listed above.

If you're travelling frequently to the US (as I was a year ago) look into getting a Nexus card. $50 for 5 years & no headaches. I only used it for flying to the US but if you're using land crossings you can register your vehicle to your Nexus card & wave it at an unmanned booth with an express lane when crossing the border.

I believe with the Nexus card you still need to have either a passport or the enhanced DL, even if they don't always check, if they do you've got a problem.

As for the enhanced, I have one, as well as a passport. I ride a motorcycle and find it a pain if I'm going across the border and have to have my passport on the bike. Also, in a car or the bike, if I cross on the spur of the moment, I know I always can cross.

When I cross by car with my wife, who only has a passport, I take my passport as well as it's a pain to have some in a vehicle with a passport and some with the enhanced DL.

I get the impression, and of course there is no guarantee, the people at the border tend to regard someone with the enhanced DL as partially cleared, in that there is some record checking before an enhanced DL is issued.

The enhanced DL is a pain in that the only place I can renew it is in Kelowna, all the rest of the points of service in the valley can't do it, so likely many would opt for the passport. As for the Nexus card it's useless in the interior as there is no Nexus lanes but great for the coast.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

A lot of people abuse that Nexus lane, I think. If I were going stateside a lot, I'd get the Nexus pass for sure, though, border traffic ALWAYS seems bad these days.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

I cross the border quite regularly maybe once a week and I have both the passport and EDL. I get the impression the EDL is preferred because one flashes it before approaching the (American) agent so he/she already has your info when you pull up. The card is still scanned but seems to be quicker than the passport. On one occasion using my passport that was nearing expiry I told the agent I also had an EDL and the response was "Then why aren't you using it?"
I would recommend combining the EDL with current DL renewal.
If the added cost bothers you then don't bother.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Midnite wrote:........
I would recommend combining the EDL with current DL renewal.
If the added cost bothers you then don't bother.

I gather you are saying you recommend that next time the person renews their DL they apply for an EDL ?

I don't believe they give you a pro-rated fee if you, for example, obtained the EDL 2 years into your 5 year regular DL term.

I would warn anyone thinking of it to apply early as there is some checking that goes into obtaining the EDL it takes longer (more lead time) than just popping in to a point of service and plucking down some $.

I think they allow you to renew your DL 6 months before it expires.

Lots of info on line to get you going.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

I have both, EDL and a Passport. The EDL is a joke. Maybe it depends on the Border crossing or the Border Guard but all I know is they can't be bothered with the EDL.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

driveangry wrote:I have both, EDL and a Passport. The EDL is a joke. Maybe it depends on the Border crossing or the Border Guard but all I know is they can't be bothered with the EDL.

I don't understand "they can't be bothered with the EDL" ? If you show up at the border with just the EDL they pretty much have to be "bothered".

I wouldn't suggest you hand them both, and if I'm going South in a group and they all have passports, I tender my passport.

When I'm alone I just hold my EDL towards the reader and put it away. They have all my info when I get to the booth.

Return to “B.C.”