Come on ladies! Turn the lights on!

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Come on ladies! Turn the lights on!

Post by Fancy »

I'm not understanding the confusion here. The warnings have been out since the beginning of time regarding women walking alone at night so why put oneself at risk? Just because one can doesn't mean one should. Buddy up, carry a whistle, pepper spray, be on a cell phone, carry a big stick, whatever it takes to have a little more protection.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

mexicalidreamer wrote:
Your circle is small. It only means to shut up or be quiet. It refers to actual dummies. who can't talk.

Please understand why some were confused.

*raises hand* Um, as I was growing up the context with which it was used around me was the "smarten up" one; the implication being that you had a ways to go to get to "dummy", much less "smart". I had never before heard it in the context with which you used it before seeing it in this thread.

As for staying on topic - I believe that one is never in error to take precautions. Did you know that downtown the Downtown Business Association offers a service whereby they will walk you to your car after dark if you call them? I know of some people who took advantage of this free service, and should I need to stay after dark I may as well.
I haven't failed until I quit.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Fancy wrote:I'm not understanding the confusion here. The warnings have been out since the beginning of time regarding women walking alone at night so why put oneself at risk? Just because one can doesn't mean one should. Buddy up, carry a whistle, pepper spray, be on a cell phone, carry a big stick, whatever it takes to have a little more protection.

Well said, Fancy. Another thing that I cannot understand for the life of me is why ANYONE (male or female) would walk or jog alone wearing those stupid ear buds and listen to music. They wouldn't have a chance of hearing anyone coming up from behind or a vehicle approaching. Its not rocket science! Duh!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

So let me see if I understand what you're saying here....
No one should be able to walk home from a bus stop alone at night?

I in fact said the opposite if you had taken the time to read my post. What people should be able to do and what they can do safely are two different things.

I am on your side so don't get huffy. I have 2 daughters so I speak from a perspective of a father who was very clear with them that right or wrong, women should not walk alone at night if it can be helped. I would rather come and get them than let that happen.

Overprotective? maybe but unwilling to take unnecessary risks.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

When the authorities are warning you for your own safety why would you argue that it just should not be?

Stick your head in the sand and say it just should not be all you want but it is and we are lucky that we have the means to get the word out quickly to avoid further injury!

As to this being a female issue it is most definitely not a gender based issue at all. It just happens that this "attack" is one of male on female.

We have just gone through an episode of male on male attack of a single male walking alone at night in our own downtown.
There have been others, people who are alone just up a disappearing, never to be seen again...

So in this day and age, like it or not, believe it or not.... traveling alone comes with conditions!

My "circle(s)" are by no means small and we just might as well agree with one another that both definitions or interpretations are correct.....

dummy up
verb: to recommend to someone to keep quiet before they end up saying or doing something to prove their stupidity. The person often thinks they are undoudtedly correct.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

This is one persons view of their incident. I am sure the others would have their thoughts too .... plus it has been stated there is supposedly a 4th victim but they have not come forward.

It makes you wonder if maybe there are even more as not everyone will come forward!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

mexicalidreamer wrote:
I am on your side so don't get huffy. I have 2 daughters so I speak from a perspective of a father who was very clear with them that right or wrong, women should not walk alone at night if it can be helped. I would rather come and get them than let that happen.

Overprotective? maybe but unwilling to take unnecessary risks.

Good, but also teach them how to defend themselves.
There may come a point in their lives where daddy is not available to pick them up. Or they find themselves in a situation that isn't "stranger rape".
Self defence will help them protect themselves.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett

Return to “B.C.”