Rancher Robbed and the RCMP Fail to Track Down the Thief

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Rancher Robbed and the RCMP Fail to Track Down the Thief

Post by Glacier »

Greg Messner, a 100 Mile House Rancher, is livid that the RCMP did not help him track down a thieve who had stolen $7,000 worth of stuff from his ranch Friday afternoon. His wife had gotten the licence plate number, and after calling it into the police, Messner jumped in his airplane, and headed down hwy 24 toward Little Fort hoping to assist the RCMP in tracking down the thieving criminal.

It wasn't long before he found the truck loaded with his stuff. He texted back and forth with his friend who then forwarded the messages onto the RCMP. Meanwhile, the rancher continued to circle around the truck as he passed Barriere, the Sun Peaks turnoff, and eventually right by the Kamloops RCMP. Still no response from the RCMP. Eventually, Messner had to turn his plane around (given his limited range) while hopelessly watching his ranching equipment disappear into the sunset.

That is, of course, his side of the story. This same rancher was also on the news earlier this year after his cow was getting some lovin' from an elk.
Last edited by Glacier on Oct 22nd, 2013, 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tommythecat
Fledgling

Re: Rancher Robbed and the RCMP Fail to Track Down the Thief

Post by tommythecat »

I just heard that story on CBC. What else does a guy have to do to get help from the cops!
Positive energy activates constant elevation
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Seems rather odd that there wasn't more effort by police.

But before passing judgement I would like to hear an explaination from the police. I know that until it neared Kamloops the vehicle would have been traveling through a virtual no man's land in terms of police resources. There likely would have been no police available to stop the truck. But they should have had plenty of opportunity to set up on the highway near Kamloops if the guy in the plane was providing timely updates on the vehicle's location.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

and not to be nit-picky....but the rancher wasn't "robbed". To be "robbed" is to have something stolen from you by force or threat.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

But before passing judgement I would like to hear an explaination from the police

Yeah ... me too.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

What causes me to pause on this story is that fact that this same farmer was claiming 6 months ago that an elk got one of his cows pregnant. Two weird stories in 6 months seems a bit odd to me, but anything is possible.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I've had more than 2 weird stories in six months.
Im just wondering what the byproduct from the cow/elk encounter was.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

It would be nice if the media would actually investigate and report related facts to us. But as we have all learned now the media only baits us with the facts that create bias talked about stories. They no longer actually give us, or investigate the whole story.
I saw the news yesterday and listened to 3 different reports and found them to all have huge sides of the stories actually missing from Globals news coverage. Information that can change the way we view the events. Info. that can easily be accessed.
Would be nice if we could all hear the "whole story" for a change. .........
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Glacier wrote:What causes me to pause on this story is that fact that this same farmer was claiming 6 months ago that an elk got one of his cows pregnant. Two weird stories in 6 months seems a bit odd to me, but anything is possible.

I read that the farmer enquired if that was possible and the elk had its antlers removed and was relocated because of hunters and traffic issues. (too many gawkers)

In this case I'd say the RCMP don't put priorities on stolen items but it would be nice to get their side of the story.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
CoconutBreath
Fledgling

Post by CoconutBreath »

RCMP are more interested in pullin over 16yr olds to give them a ticket for their far-too-tinted WINDOWS.

HELLO ???

wut planet are YOU ON?
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

CoconutBreath wrote:RCMP are more interested in pullin over 16yr olds to give them a ticket for their far-too-tinted WINDOWS.

HELLO ???

wut planet are YOU ON?

The police are just as interesting in road safety as they are in property offences. I'm not sure where you get that one is any more of a priority than the other. Some sour grapes by the look of it.

Do you realize now that in this little corner of the planet front tinted windows are illegal?

Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I can attest to that. Few years back we brought a vehicle in from the US that had tinted windows in front, had to get the tint removed before we could register it.
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

Jo wrote:I can attest to that. Few years back we brought a vehicle in from the US that had tinted windows in front, had to get the tint removed before we could register it.

What does tinted windows have to do with ranching gear? :D *hides*

So much info is missing. It's probably not a trivial matter for a civilian in an aircraft to coordinate with police on any kind of chase no matter which area they are in. Especially when it sounds like there was a 3rd party go-between in the communications channel.
Also, texting while flying? I can't imagine that's all that safe either.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I have trouble with this one...I usually sit back and wait and see however this one stinks.

Further to if the RCMP were on it, I think they would have made a release defending themselves. I think they sucked on this one!
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

They can't have failed to track down the thief if they never started looking for the thief. I'd also like to hear what the friend relaying info to the RCMP was actually doing, and what response he was getting from the RCMP.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.

Return to “B.C.”