Motorcycles banned from highways as of Oct 1st

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Motorcycles banned from highways as of Oct 1st

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:This does not help since MOT & RCMP have different views on the subject of winter tires.

http://www.cfjctv.com/story.php?id=16622

It would appear that RCMP takes Transport Canada advise on winter tires. Showing here:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safe ... ex-693.htm

I suspect MOT will be changing their info on winter tires as well.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Some good articles but they raise a question in my mind. What is severe? What happens in the event of a sudden snow fall for the person who is making one trip only on a high mountain pass and otherwise has no use for snow tires?

What about visitors from no or low snow areas? Are they not allowed to come here?

And most importantly; if it isn't mandatory to have snow tires, why then are the police allowed to ticket in these cases?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

So you're fine with people half-@$$ing things, just because they don't do it very often? If anything, the people that rarely drive in those conditions are the ones that would benefit from better tires the most. There's plenty of alternatives, either take a different route, fly, take a bus, etc. so there's really no excuse to risk damage to yourself, your vehicle, or others if you don't have/want to buy snow tires.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

underscore wrote:Below 10*C summer tires lose their grip on the pavement, at least when it comes to car tires. I can't imagine bike tires are much different. Trusting summer bike tires below that temp sounds like a crapshoot to me.

Wrong. They still grip the pavement.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Rwede wrote:Coming up the Coq from Hope early last November, I got stuck in a long line of crawling traffic. 6 inches of fresh snow on the road, and there's an idiot on a bike trying to climb the grade at 5 kmh, holding everyone up.

Ticket the knothead and get him off the road!

The bike was holding up the traffic? Not doubting the guy was an idiot but im sure you could get around him
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

So you're fine with people half-@$$ing things, just because they don't do it very often?

Didn't assert that at all. I simply asked a question(s).

You need a lesson in context.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

^ Please clarify then, because I believe the answer to most of your questions should be to get the right tires, or stay home.

skydawg wrote:Wrong. They still grip the pavement.

Not terribly well though. I should have worded that as "begin to lose", but it's still close enough.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

motorcycle chains would have been cool end to the story

Return to “B.C.”