Motorcycles banned from highways as of Oct 1st

shrory
Fledgling

Motorcycles banned from highways as of Oct 1st

Post by shrory »

Interesting article in a local paper, regarding motorcycles and snow tyers, the writer was stopped in a road check and was advised that he was breaking the law, by not having snow tyers on his motorcycle as per the new traffic act which states ;
The R-047 Regulatory sign “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains – Beyond This Point – October 1st – April 30th“ when placed upon a highway will prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with winter tires or chains beyond that point when enforced by the police, ministry or other enforcement officials.
There goes my drive down to Boundary country via Hwy 33 and back up 97 via Osoyoos, on a nice sunny autumn day.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Motor Cycles banned from Highways as of Oct 1st

Post by Glacier »

I simply don't believe this happened. They don't enforce the law unless you get in an accident from what I understand. What about buddy who gets his bike insured on April 29th because it's 30 degrees outside? No one is going to kick him off the road. Same goes for hot weather in October. What about buddy who has studs on his winter tires? Since he is not allowed to take them off before April 30th nor is he allowed to drive with them on May 1st, no one is going to ticket for going into the shop a day early.

Snow or ice on the ground could be ticketed, I suppose, but I doubt that even the most anal cop would give a ticket in t-shirt weather.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I doubt that even the most anal cop would give a ticket in t-shirt weather

That would NEVER happen...........
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

shrory wrote:Interesting article in a local paper, regarding motorcycles and snow tyers, the writer was stopped in a road check and was advised that he was breaking the law, by not having snow tyers on his motorcycle as per the new traffic act which states ;
The R-047 Regulatory sign “Use Winter Tires or Carry Chains – Beyond This Point – October 1st – April 30th“ when placed upon a highway will prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with winter tires or chains beyond that point when enforced by the police, ministry or other enforcement officials.
There goes my drive down to Boundary country via Hwy 33 and back up 97 via Osoyoos, on a nice sunny autumn day.

Pack snow chains! You're good to go then!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

shrory wrote:Interesting article in a local paper, regarding motorcycles and snow tyers, the writer was stopped in a road check and was advised that he was breaking the law, by not having snow tyers on his motorcycle as per the new traffic act which states ;

This particular officers fellow officers should be taking him aside and asking him "Are you trying to make all of us look like fools and further erode our credibility as enforcers of the law in the eyes of the public with ridiculous technical interpretations like this?"
This sounds like the same sort of cop that would bust you for a tear in the seat upholstery because it is an entrapment hazard. Commercial vehicle drivers know this one.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Weather conditions "never" change quickly at higher elevations!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
underscore
Übergod

Re: Motorcycles banned from highways as of Oct 1st

Post by underscore »

Below 10*C summer tires lose their grip on the pavement, at least when it comes to car tires. I can't imagine bike tires are much different. Trusting summer bike tires below that temp sounds like a crapshoot to me.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

My bike tires have M&S and a snowflake symbol on the sides. That however doesn't mean I would go up the Coq this time of year if it's all socked in and with freezing temps. Motorcyclists for the most part are more concerned about road conditions than the average four wheeler.
I birn quil I se
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

There is no law in BC that mandates winter tires during the winter. All you need is the M&S on the side, and most if not all all-season tires have this.

The government is looking at changing this though. They are also looking at the Oct 1st to April 30th dates because it might make sense to have different dates in different areas of the province.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glacier wrote:There is no law in BC that mandates winter tires during the winter. All you need is the M&S on the side, and most if not all all-season tires have this.

What if you pass a "winter tire required" sign on the highway?
Glacier wrote:The government is looking at changing this though. They are also looking at the Oct 1st to April 30th dates because it might make sense to have different dates in different areas of the province.

That would/could make sense but it would be complicated for drivers (not that anyone really pays attention to signs in this Province anyways LOL!), I guess the only real way to be covered from the legal aspect, is to simply carry chains in the trunk.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This does not help since MOT & RCMP have different views on the subject of winter tires.

http://www.cfjctv.com/story.php?id=16622
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Dizzy1 wrote:What if you pass a "winter tire required" sign on the highway?

Doesn't matter. You don't need the snowflake tires, only M&S. They are looking into possibly changing this.
- Douglas Murray
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Coming up the Coq from Hope early last November, I got stuck in a long line of crawling traffic. 6 inches of fresh snow on the road, and there's an idiot on a bike trying to climb the grade at 5 kmh, holding everyone up.

Ticket the knothead and get him off the road!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:This does not help since MOT & RCMP have different views on the subject of winter tires.

http://www.cfjctv.com/story.php?id=16622

I wonder if the RCMP every ticketed anyone, or if ICBC used M+S tires against a claim? If the MOT says M+S are acceptable, then I'd hope the other 2 parties follow that policy. They can disagree with it, lobby to change it, but until then rules are the way rules are.
Glacier wrote:Doesn't matter. You don't need the snowflake tires, only M&S. They are looking into possibly changing this.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. My winter car has the snowflake on them, never had tires with just M&S on them.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

For myself from mid-October to mid-April snowflake winter tires, for rest of the year all seasons.

(don't own or ride motorcycle, sorry if I'm derailing)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”