Poppy sales banned at a Kamloops dollar store

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Poppy sales banned at a Kamloops dollar store

Post by Ken7 »

samsquench07 wrote:The issue with these poppies, is that they are going from their true meaning of symbolisms, to being a matter more about the money. It seems they need to put out more donation boxes to help veterans.

They never used to dump boxes on retail locations. I don't even remember that last year, this problem...

If its a lack of money, for helping surviving veterans, the government should honestly be responsible to help them, Its the least we could do, to pay a little tax to help these men/women out.

Sadly you are correct.

I saw on the news the other day, something like 16 Million allocated for Veterans Affairs by the Canadian Gov. Only about 1.6 million was used if my memory is correct.

Then you here our local Kelowna Government office had a sign directing all Vets to Vancouver Office. No wonder... this really upsets me how they treat those who fought for this Country.
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Yeah, I agree. Its ridiculous.. The goverments send them off to war, then don't take care of them..

I recently heard about the brave folks that go to war,, get a pension after 10 years.... and the Canadian government is actually cutting them from their duties anywhere from 1 year to 6 months before they get that pension.... so they don't get any pension...... can anyone confirm this sad story?
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

motorhomebabe wrote:I will always buy a poppy. We would not be living with the freedoms we do today ,without our veterans.

I have to agree with you but don't agree with the Veteren raging on the dollar store.I support the poppy deal as long as its only used to symbolize the World wars and not conflicts like Vietnam or Korean or Afhgahn or Irag etc
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

rvrepairnut wrote:I support the poppy deal as long as its only used to symbolize the World wars and not conflicts like Vietnam or Korean or Afhgahn or Irag etc

I agree to a point as it doesn't matter which conflict, we (those that have served) are all Veterans. Military personnel don't get to choose where they serve.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

samsquench07 wrote:Yeah, I agree. Its ridiculous.. The goverments send them off to war, then don't take care of them..

I recently heard about the brave folks that go to war,, get a pension after 10 years.... and the Canadian government is actually cutting them from their duties anywhere from 1 year to 6 months before they get that pension.... so they don't get any pension...... can anyone confirm this sad story?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/soldier ... -1.2303522
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

rvrepairnut wrote:I support the poppy deal as long as its only used to symbolize the World wars ...

It symbolizes the sacrifices made by our soldiers (often terrible sacrifices) who follow the orders of our government – elected by us. As in many situations, it is still left up to the continuing generosity of citizens to contribute to the care and support of those the government fails. In the case on our veterans, of all conflicts, it is a disgraceful shame and any Conservative politician should be ashamed to be seen wearing one. As for the rest of us - wear more than one poppy! Give generously!
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

support the poppy deal as long as its only used to symbolize the World wars ... [/quote]
It symbolizes the sacrifices made by our soldiers (often terrible sacrifices) who follow the orders of our government – elected by us. As in many situations, it is still left up to the continuing generosity of citizens to contribute to the care and support of those the government fails. In the case on our veterans, of all conflicts, it is a disgraceful shame and any Conservative politician should be ashamed to be seen wearing one. As for the rest of us - wear more than one poppy! Give generously![/quote]

I totally disagree.To me a true veteran is world war11.just because a military person served in the army or airforce etc is no where near a Veteren in any sense as compared to a world war Vet.NOT EVEN CLOSE. In world war 2 for example we needed men and women to fight for our freedom and persicusion of jews,french etc etc.this was a world changing event for the betterment of mankind. NONE of the other wars compare even remotely to what #2 meant
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

rvrepairnut wrote:I support the poppy deal as long as it's only used to symbolize the World wars ...

steven lloyd wrote:It symbolizes the sacrifices made by our soldiers (often terrible sacrifices) who follow the orders of our government – elected by us. As in many situations, it is still left up to the continuing generosity of citizens to contribute to the care and support of those the government fails. In the case on our veterans, of all conflicts, it is a disgraceful shame and any Conservative politician should be ashamed to be seen wearing one. As for the rest of us - wear more than one poppy! Give generously!

rvrepairnut wrote:I totally disagree.To me a true veteran is world war11.just because a military person served in the army or airforce etc is no where near a Veteren in any sense as compared to a world war Vet.NOT EVEN CLOSE. In world war 2 for example we needed men and women to fight for our freedom and persicusion of jews,french etc etc.this was a world changing event for the betterment of mankind. NONE of the other wars compare even remotely to what #2 meant

So I guess once the last remaining veteran of WW II has died, the poppy campaign would be stopped in your way of thinking rvrepairnut.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

rvrepairnut wrote: I totally disagree.

Well that is certainly your right, but no matter what the “purpose” or “accomplishment” of any war, the fact of the matter is we have soldiers today coming back from armed conflict overseas who have fought, been maimed, and watched close friends die in the name of our country. Whether you agree with the foreign policy of our government or not, it is our elected government in theory representing Canada’s citizenship and those soldiers fought, were maimed, and watched close friends die for you. It is a repugnant disgrace that our government would decide to put them in harm’s way and then abandon them upon their return home. It is double the disgrace if we citizens are so uncaring and apathetic to do the same – IMO of course.

Return to “B.C.”