Alcohol in stores

fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: Alcohol in stores

Post by fvkasm2x »

grammafreddy wrote:LOL - I spose. Good one, though. That's not what's in my silver flask I keep tucked in the sofa cushions. Image

If you have to hide your drinking from friends or family, you have a problem Gramma.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

She's not hiding her drinking. She's hiding her drink. Damn Grand kids!!
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:LOL - I spose. Good one, though. That's not what's in my silver flask I keep tucked in the sofa cushions. Image

fvkasm2x wrote:If you have to hide your drinking from friends or family, you have a problem Gramma.

I wish. Am on meds that don't allow me to drink so haven't had one in nearly two years now. Bummer.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Damn Meds!!!!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Well, it looks as though common sense has prevailed. Starting either this fall or early next year, alcohol will indeed be available on the shelves of our favorite grocery stores.

There are two models; one will have the nectar available on shelves in the store along with everything else they sell and some will have a liquor store with the store.

Either one works for me.

By the by. When did the cost of a license become so high? I read a million bucks. Is that right?
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Well, it looks as though common sense has prevailed. Starting either this fall or early next year, alcohol will indeed be available on the shelves of our favorite grocery stores.

There are two models; one will have the nectar available on shelves in the store along with everything else they sell and some will have a liquor store with the store.

Either one works for me.

By the by. When did the cost of a license become so high? I read a million bucks. Is that right?

I must agree, Common sense did prevail. Keeping the moratorium on new licences, keeping the one kilometre between licences and allowing licences to move anywhere they want. 94% of all liquor stores are within a kilometre of a grocery store (will make it tough for a grocery store to get a licence). And yes a licence can cost (by itself) about $650,000.00 if it is part of a business that is successful it can sometimes be upwards of $2,000,000.00. So you can understand why someone that spent that much money on a licence would not want the government to now turn around and just give them away to any grocery store that asks.
Another thing that has been announced and is probably even more important is that the government is separating the retail side from the wholesale side and forcing government stores to buy their liquor at the same price the private stores do (they lose their 110% discount). This means that private stores will be able to match or even beat the government stores on their prices! Hopefully it will also mean the private stores can pay their very valued employees a fair wage and offer benefits!

Cheers!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

sale4u wrote:
I must agree, Common sense did prevail. Keeping the moratorium on new licences, keeping the one kilometre between licences and allowing licences to move anywhere they want. 94% of all liquor stores are within a kilometre of a grocery store (will make it tough for a grocery store to get a licence). And yes a licence can cost (by itself) about $650,000.00 if it is part of a business that is successful it can sometimes be upwards of $2,000,000.00. So you can understand why someone that spent that much money on a licence would not want the government to now turn around and just give them away to any grocery store that asks.
Another thing that has been announced and is probably even more important is that the government is separating the retail side from the wholesale side and forcing government stores to buy their liquor at the same price the private stores do (they lose their 110% discount). This means that private stores will be able to match or even beat the government stores on their prices! Hopefully it will also mean the private stores can pay their very valued employees a fair wage and offer benefits!

Cheers!

See R, I told you that you were looking at a glass half empty. If I were to be the owner of the Cherry Lane private liquor store for example, I would be real happy to sell that offsite licence to Save on Foods for a pretty penny, put the money in my pocket, and let them deal with the business and staffing. The owner can just keep the pub and carry on cuz the liquor store licence was just an offshoot freebie from the primary pub licence. Talk about a gift huh?
Even better, our Greek councillor with his licence next to Walmart can sell his licence to Walmart. His licence is attached to a defunct nite club. How sweet it is to be in the liquor business right now!!
Possible wild card too. Betcha Slack's/Bubblies licence is still in play too given what happened with the Three Gables licence?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

twobits wrote:Betcha Slack's/Bubblies licence is still in play too given what happened with the Three Gables licence?

I read somewhere Bubblees license is the store on Fairview. Makes sense.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

so remember when the government always complained about there union employee's costing to much. That the hourly wages where making it too difficult to make a fair profit. Then they tell us that because of these high wages it wasn't worth operating and that privatizing would allow lower prices for consumers.
My question is if someone could answer, "why did prices not fall after privatizing"?
Surely the drastic cost cutting of these wages should have made a lot of room for cheaper booze.
Did our great government put higher costs, licensing etc. on these new stores making it yet another lie from them to us?
I hate seeing all these new business owners being put through this, but yet again it is our own government that could not get this straight in the first place.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

zoo wrote: Then they tell us that because of these high wages it wasn't worth operating and that privatizing would allow lower prices for consumers.
My question is if someone could answer, "why did prices not fall after privatizing"?

Would you or your like minded buddy XT please provide a link that is not from a blogger where it was stated as a gov't position that allowing private liquor stores in the current model would definately lower the price of alcohol at the retail level. I won't hold my breath waiting for either of you two "brothers" to provide that link. If either of you had bothered reading and paying attention to sale4ru here and his posts as an owner of a private store you would know that his wholesale cost was higher than what the unionized stores recognized as cost of goods sold. I learned a few things from his posts and the challenges he faces. If I were him now I would still sell out the licence now before the market drives the price down but that is his decision. He also went on to point out that with the new regs and an equal playing field for the wholesale cost of liquor being on par with gov't run stores you could see a lowering of private store prices as well as an increase in wages for valued emplyee's. Convenient how you both missed that part of the conversation and chose to stay with the table pounding draconian brotherhood response.
Now, sale4u, if he chooses to compete, will be able to pay the ones that actually have some skills in management, inventory control and ordering, scheduling etc, a wage comensurant with what they bring to the business and the tattooed low cut tee and push up bra cashier will be paid for what skills are brought to the table.
To add one more observation, if the union had been at all interested in self preservation they would have long ago recognized the future and "ate" a contract with the stipulation that savings would go to store infrastructure in the way of refrigeration. I am more than willing to pay a 10% premium for a sack of cold ones on the way home, cold bottle of white to take to a dinner invite, or a 4 pack cooler or spritzer on the way to the beach or ski hill. Suppose I just think like a business jerk tho?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

sale4u wrote:Not that it really matters, but I can pretty much guarantee they don't own 4 licences in Penticton. Just say'in! Anyways...

You got me. They only have 3 liquor store licenses. They have 2 more that are pub.

They are quite happy about this. They will gladly sell the licenses for a big profit and retire. Beats grinding it out behind the counter at the store, everyday.
FSmith59
Banned

Post by FSmith59 »

twobits wrote:Possible wild card too. Betcha Slack's/Bubblies licence is still in play too given what happened with the Three Gables licence?

??? Three Gables license? That is the Gable's Beer & Wine Store, now.

The Three Gable's bar license is now Decoy's Tavern.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

FSmith59 wrote:

??? Three Gables license? That is the Gable's Beer & Wine Store, now.

The Three Gable's bar license is now Decoy's Tavern.

Yes and that was the point, the licences didn't burn with the hotel.

sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

FSmith59 wrote:
You got me. They only have 3 liquor store licenses. They have 2 more that are pub.

They are quite happy about this. They will gladly sell the licenses for a big profit and retire. Beats grinding it out behind the counter at the store, everyday.

Actually, they only have 1 LRS Licence (Gables) and they sold the only other one they had, Jesters. They do still have the 2 pub licences.
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

twobits wrote:
Would you or your like minded buddy XT please provide a link that is not from a blogger where it was stated as a gov't position that allowing private liquor stores in the current model would definately lower the price of alcohol at the retail level. I won't hold my breath waiting for either of you two "brothers" to provide that link. If either of you had bothered reading and paying attention to sale4ru here and his posts as an owner of a private store you would know that his wholesale cost was higher than what the unionized stores recognized as cost of goods sold. I learned a few things from his posts and the challenges he faces. If I were him now I would still sell out the licence now before the market drives the price down but that is his decision. He also went on to point out that with the new regs and an equal playing field for the wholesale cost of liquor being on par with gov't run stores you could see a lowering of private store prices as well as an increase in wages for valued emplyee's. Convenient how you both missed that part of the conversation and chose to stay with the table pounding draconian brotherhood response.
Now, sale4u, if he chooses to compete, will be able to pay the ones that actually have some skills in management, inventory control and ordering, scheduling etc, a wage comensurant with what they bring to the business and the tattooed low cut tee and push up bra cashier will be paid for what skills are brought to the table.
To add one more observation, if the union had been at all interested in self preservation they would have long ago recognized the future and "ate" a contract with the stipulation that savings would go to store infrastructure in the way of refrigeration. I am more than willing to pay a 10% premium for a sack of cold ones on the way home, cold bottle of white to take to a dinner invite, or a 4 pack cooler or spritzer on the way to the beach or ski hill. Suppose I just think like a business jerk tho?

Thanks TwoBits, nice to know that some people still read and learn before they speak.
Cheers!

Return to “B.C.”