Alcohol in stores

mexi cali
Guru

Alcohol in stores

Post by mexi cali »

Has everyone seen the recent article regarding the possibility of having alcohol available in grocery stores?

I hope it happens but after reading the article I am concerned when the word "study" is used because that is simply politalk for it will take as much time as it takes.

What is there to study? It is already happening in several Provinces and all over the US.

This is so past due, it aint funny anymore.

Thoughts? Are most of us for it? Or is there strong opposition still?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Alcohol in stores

Post by Fancy »

I'm for it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:
I hope it happens but after reading the article I am concerned when the word "study" is used because that is simply politalk for it will take as much time as it takes.

And money.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I feel bad for the beer store owners and employees that will lose business but I am for it. Now if only I didn't get in trouble for walking down to the beach and having a cider on my air mattress. Public drinking laws need some tweaking too.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I wonder how much revenue provincial budget will lose.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I'm certainly in favour of it and it's a change that's long overdue. I suspect that the change, however, may be to allow government liquor stores within larger grocery stores. We'll see though. Personally, I'd just like to see beer and wine allowed to be sold by the grocers and if I had my way the government would get out of the booze business completely.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:I wonder how much revenue provincial budget will lose.

They won't lose any that I can see.

I wonder how it will be warehoused and who the middleman would be. Private contractors? The government? No middleman and order direct from the manufacturer/importer?

Urbane - not all of us drink beer and wine - I would like to see ALL spirits sold in grocery stores.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ Cooking Sherry is more or less wine isn't it? 8-P
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:^^ Cooking Sherry is more or less wine isn't it? 8-P

LOL - I spose. Good one, though. That's not what's in my silver flask I keep tucked in the sofa cushions. Image
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

grammafreddy wrote:Urbane - not all of us drink beer and wine - I would like to see ALL spirits sold in grocery stores.
Me too.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

jennylives wrote: Public drinking laws need some tweaking too.

I'd drink to that.

Urbane wrote:if I had my way the government would get out of the booze business completely.

And the car insurance business, transit business ... who knows, they might actually find time to actually run the Province then LOL!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I heard government store within a store.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Fancy wrote:I heard government store within a store.

Would probably have to, if I'm not mistaken minors cannot sell alcohol, so if Safeway were to sell it a minor at the cashier couldn't ring it up or bring it to grandma's car, or am I wrong on that?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Good question Dizzy. Not sure how that would work. Maybe they would have to restrict the checkout lines that could be used if you were buying booze so that they could control the age of the cashiers.

I agree that the laws regarding public consumption need to be looked at also. It's funny but whenever I have been in a place where open alcohol is permitted, I haven't seen any problems? I'm not sure what the puritans are afraid of. There are working models all over the planet but here we have this antiquated notion that if anyone but the Government is involved in the trade there will be major problems.

Silly.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dizzy1 wrote: Would probably have to, if I'm not mistaken minors cannot sell alcohol, so if Safeway were to sell it a minor at the cashier couldn't ring it up or bring it to grandma's car, or am I wrong on that?

Good point but a tweak in the law could change that. Believe there was a law that said a restaurant server had to be of age to bring alcohol to the table. That was changed to say they could bring it to you as long as the person that opened it or mixed it was of legal age.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “B.C.”