Ferry runs aground, or does it?

Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Ferry runs aground, or does it?

Post by Graphite »

The headline says the ferry ran aground, but two sentences into the article it says the ferry did not.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/101843/ ... ns-aground
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Ferry runs aground, or does it?

Post by grammafreddy »

LOL - I caught that, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Interestingly, many of the reports I read yesterday had the same headline 'ferry runs aground' with the same contradictory statement within the item . . . probably because it isn't really clear whether it did or didn't run aground.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Jo wrote:Interestingly, many of the reports I read yesterday had the same headline 'ferry runs aground' ...

Got you to read the article though - didn't it ?
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Jo wrote:Interestingly, many of the reports I read yesterday had the same headline 'ferry runs aground' with the same contradictory statement within the item . . . probably because it isn't really clear whether it did or didn't run aground.

Funny, there was a fellow on Global News last night that they interviewed. He appeared to live nearby and had witnessed the radio conversations from the ship, saying that it HAD grounded. Said he heard it on his "VHS"; said that word twice. Huh.....isn't a VHS a video tape machine? LOL Since he obviously doesn't know much about "VHF" (the proper term), I wouldn't necessarily believe anything he says. An inquiry will determine what REALLY happened.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

If it wasn't for the two passengers on board the 22 crew members wouldn't have had to report it lol what a waste of tax $
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The story does highlight the poor management of the BC ferry system.http://www.ask.com/maps?sa=Mayne+Island&o=2801&qsrc=999&q=Mayne%20Island,%20BC&#YmJxPTEmbXM9c3RyZWV0JmR0PWRyaXZpbmcmbG9jcz1NYXluZStJc2xhbmQlMkMrQkMlN0M=

1. What the heck is BC Ferries doing running such a big vessel into such a crummy little harbour?
2. What the heck is BC Ferries doing running a vessel with a crew of 20-22 to pick up 2 passengers?
3. Mayne Island has a population of 900 people, but has 5, yup 5 ferry routes. Tswassen to Mayne Island, Mayne-Pender, Mayne-Saturna, Mayne-Saltspring, and Mayne-Swartz bay. Yikes!

For reference the populations of the other islands are: Salt Spring: 10,234 Pender: 2,500 Saturna: 350

If you really, really, want to get disgusted with the waste of taxpayer funds, have a look at the service schedule: http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/southern/mide-current.php - I count 125 sailings per week on the "reduced" off season schedule. That's almost 18 departure sailings per day for a population of 900. Wow! Is that not out of control!????
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Cant imagine why they lose money oh wait theres an endless supply of tax dollars!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

hobbyguy wrote: If you really, really, want to get disgusted with the waste of taxpayer funds, have a look at the service schedule: http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/southern/mide-current.php - I count 125 sailings per week on the "reduced" off season schedule. That's almost 18 departure sailings per day for a population of 900. Wow! Is that not out of control!????

That is totally out of control. Good thing we spent so much money hiring the "best people" we could find from the private sector to show them Crown Corp people how to run operations like this. It should come as no surprise that the Corporation nearly doubled bonuses for executives in past year. Good job folks!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2129545
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

At least the 22 crew members were there and didn't sink the damned thing...

Of all the ones that needed replacing , they did what they had too do to save the two passengers ....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “B.C.”