The Truth About the Pine Beetle Epidemic

Glacier
The Pilgrim

The Truth About the Pine Beetle Epidemic

Post by Glacier »

The media, alarmists, and other such hypsters have been reciting the same line that the pine beetle will continue on its path of destruction until we see -40 weather in November or early December.

There is an element of truth to this story line in that extreme cold does take its toll on bugs (as it does on all wild animals), but this is not the entire story.

The beetle epidemic is over, and it ended without the cold.

Cold is not the primary limiter of infestations, and this can be proven on a number of fronts. In the interior of British Columbia, the western areas are generally colder than eastern sections (the Similkameen/Nicola is colder than the Okanagan, the Chilcotin is colder than the Cariboo, and the Nechako is colder than the Prince George area. In all these cases, the colder areas have been hit harder than the warmer areas. Additionally, many areas were left unscathed by the pine beetle epidemic even though the trees were attacked full on.

Why is this the case, you ask? It is because the trees had been stressed from drought, and it just happens to be that these same western areas are also the areas most prone to drought. On a side note, the temperature never reaches -40 in many areas of the province including in Tweedsmiur where the epidemic started, so it's hard to imagine how an infestation is supposed to end if it relies on a condition that never happens.

The areas that suffered the greatest drought were also the areas that suffered the greatest losses from the beetles. After a couple of wet summers, the trees have become less stressed even in the dry areas, enabling them to survive any attacks today. Additionally, the Douglas fir are also able to ward of the spruce budworm that was killing them a couple years ago.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: The Truth About the Pine Beetle Epidemic

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Glacier wrote:On a side note, the temperature never reaches -40 in many areas of the province including in Tweedsmiur where the epidemic started, so it's hard to imagine how an infestation is supposed to end if it relies on a condition that never happens.

Logging Tweedsmuir would have stopped it, but the NDP decided to gamble on the weather (and some Green votes) instead, and now we're basically decimated in our timber supply. The NDP is decimated too, but too late for the pine trees.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Gone_Fishin wrote:
Logging Tweedsmuir would have stopped it...

That was the common consensus at the time, but it's my understanding that it's been disproven; epidemic would have happened anyway.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

rustled wrote:That was the common consensus at the time, but it's my understanding that it's been disproven; epidemic would have happened anyway.

Where did you hear that? Salvage logging of MPB outbreaks and subsequent broadcast burning has been shown to be an effective management tool to control infestations.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The pine beetle has been with us for decades and was not 'just in Tweedsmuir':

QUICK FACTS
MPB outbreaks in the mountain national parks are not new:
• Two major outbreaks have occurred in Kootenay (1930-45 and 1981- present).
• In Yoho there was a smaller infestation in the 1930's, and current populations are quickly increasing.
• Waterton had an extensive outbreak that occurred in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
• Banff had a minor outbreak between 1940-43, a smaller outbreak in the 1970's and early 1980's in the Upper Spray Valley.
• In 1999, mountain pine beetle was recorded for the first time in Jasper.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/docs/v-g/dpp-mpb/sec4.aspx
Chill
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

rustled wrote:That was the common consensus at the time, but it's my understanding that it's been disproven; epidemic would have happened anyway.

Gone_Fishin wrote:[
Where did you hear that? Salvage logging of MPB outbreaks and subsequent broadcast burning has been shown to be an effective management tool to control infestations.

Several sources (I lived in the area and knew plenty of folk who made their living off logging/lumber). Also, one source that I trust works for the MOE in that region; he's the practical common-sense type (likes to deal with facts, not flavour-of-the-moment PC stuff).

There were several areas of the province that were primed for a severe infestation, unlike those easily managed by logging and burning.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

As with almost everything in nature there is seldom ONE sole cause that explains the sudden onset or reduction in any given species like the Pine Beetle. University level testing at the University of Northern BC and the University of Alberta in Calgary have identified that the ability of the Pine Beetle to enbalm itself with an antifreeze like substance over the winter, travel huge distances on the wind, carry out massive invasions involving both healthy and stressed pine trees, and simply having or not having a suitable supply of trees susceptible to attack all play a role in the rise and fall of such parasitic species.

Pine Beetles will never be completely exterminated but their collective damage will become negligable.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Most of the trees in the Anahim Lake area are still alive today even though they were all attacked head on by the beetles. Timing is important. Trees that are attacked at a time when the trees have ample moisture to ward off the attack.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Please post links to actual reports by credible labs or scientists that back up your moisture statements.

I just searched moisture content and mountain pine beetle, it came back with many reports fro environment canada and other good sources. None mention your theory. the do talk about how the moisture content drops dramatically with the infestation over the time of 1 to 5 years, and from what I gather from what I read, they where more concerned with combustibility of infested trees.
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Also Prince George golf club had to clear cut their golf course because of mountain pine beetle a number of years ago. Being a golf course, the property would have been well irrigated, meaning no dry trees. what happened there?
L90D

Post by L90D »

yaktak wrote:Also Prince George golf club had to clear cut their golf course because of mountain pine beetle a number of years ago. Being a golf course, the property would have been well irrigated, meaning no dry trees. what happened there?

Golf courses generally are not set up to irrigate the rough. (i.e. the area where the pine trees would have been).
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

yaktak wrote:Please post links to actual reports by credible labs or scientists that back up your moisture statements.

I just searched moisture content and mountain pine beetle, it came back with many reports fro environment canada and other good sources. None mention your theory. the do talk about how the moisture content drops dramatically with the infestation over the time of 1 to 5 years, and from what I gather from what I read, they where more concerned with combustibility of infested trees.

My old neighbour, a 90 year old retired US forester told me this. It is what he was taught 70 years ago, and as he says, the laws of nature haven't changed that much in 70 years. When the big rains hit the central interior a couple years ago, he told made that statement that epidemic would be drawing to an end as a result. Sure enough, within 2 years it happened.
- Douglas Murray
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I say let nature have it's way. What happened 100’s of years ago? Beatles killed, fired cleared and you had reforestation.

It's nature’s way and we are only in its way.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

North Americans seem to have a very short (in time) view of nature. Everything that is happening today across the world has happened many times before ... except for modern medicine and food growing practices enabling the world population to reach previously unsustainable numbers.

I believe we will have another world bottle neck (population die off) within the next hundred years as a result of world weather changes associated to a world that is again warming up ... massive famine and the diseases associated to drought and famine will be the cause.

The present food baskets of Britain, Northern India, Southern China and the US corn melt will move between 300 and 500 miles further north and south of the equator. It has already started with the melting Greenland Ice ledges melting and the increasing heat across the world in the area of the present food baskets.
Last edited by Donald G on Dec 6th, 2013, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Ken7 wrote:I say let nature have it's way. What happened 100’s of years ago? Beatles killed, fired cleared and you had reforestation.

It's nature’s way and we are only in its way.

But i prefer my house not burnt to the ground!!

Return to “B.C.”