Cracked windshields on the Coquihalla

samsquench07
Übergod

Cracked windshields on the Coquihalla

Post by samsquench07 »

Just wondering if anybody else, traveling the connector or coquihalla.... having trouble with the roads already....

I already travelled it once, and bamm.. a rock chip, must have hit the right spot and cracked my entire windshield..

I do realize they need to put sand down, that's a no brainer,.... Maybe somebody that is familiar with that type of work, can't they sift the dirt to get all the big pebbles out??

I seems other years are worse than other... last year... no major problems... this year... it already starts.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Cracked windshields on the coquihalla

Post by coffeeFreak »

Advice samsquence07...unless you choose not to drive in Canada during the winter, chances are you will end up with a cracked windshield sometime over the years. And if you ever choose to live in places such as PG or Alberta, expect cracked windshields on a fairly regular basis.

I would much rather be able to stay on a well graveled road during poor conditions than be concerned about the condition of my windshield.

One thing I have learned though, if you have any type of chip in the window, get it fixed asap as it is a source of weakness and even very cold weather can allow the chip to become something much more problematic.
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

I also like to double my following distance in the winter behind any large trucks/RVs/buses since they do tend to kick up more rocks than the typical van or car.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Tori_K wrote:I also like to double my following distance in the winter behind any large trucks/RVs/buses since they do tend to kick up more rocks than the typical van or car.

Which is fine if you plan on never passing anyone.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

coffeeFreak wrote:
I would much rather be able to stay on a well graveled road during poor conditions than be concerned about the condition of my windshield.

I would totally agree.... I know that some years the coqihalla-connector has minimal rocks on it, no issues... and some years big pebbles that your guaranteed a busted windshield.....Its so bad sometimes, that your guaranteed to get hit with a big enough rock every time somebody passes you.
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

Bsuds wrote:Which is fine if you plan on never passing anyone.

True, passing does close the distance, but the exposure during a quick passing manoeuvre is nothing like hugging the behind of an 18 wheeler through a heavily sanded section of the highway. I tend to avoid passing vehicles on the curvy sections in the winter anyways where there is likely to be a greater application of sand. An extra 20-30 minutes on the drive down to the coast is better than getting stuck between a fishtailing semi and the centre median.
twobits
Guru

Re: Cracked windshields on the Coquihalla

Post by twobits »

Most rock chips are caused by rocks kicked up from vehicles coming from the opposite direction. More velocity in the projectile than when getting "showered" by a vehicle you are trailing or passing. Whenever possible travel in the slow lane to be as far away from oncoming vehicles as possible.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The thing I've noticed over the years that has increased the amount of chipped/cracked windshields. IMPO is lack of or undersize mud-flaps on all vehicles, many of these big pick-ups trucks have none. So theirs nothing keeping these pebbles from be shot out from rear wheels like high powered BB gun.

just what I see
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

twobits wrote:Most rock chips are caused by rocks kicked up from vehicles coming from the opposite direction.

We are talking the Coquihalla here which is a divided Hwy. Not too much chance of that.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

Although I have got hit by a rock from a vehicle traveling the opposite direction, I find that more rare..

I mostly get his when somebody passes me.... I even time it, so they are almost at my driver door, then I nail the breaks (careful if its icy of course) to minimize the impact of flying rocks
samsquench07
Übergod

Post by samsquench07 »

I realize that road safety, you need dirt down on the road to stop the ice a little, but is it hard to sift the dirt, so its only fine fine sand??? anybody work in that industry out there, that would know this?
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

While it is very important for road maintenance companies to put down good traction material in the winter, stupidity is prevailing in many ways which leads to cracked windshields.

ARGO, and the other road maintenance company use far too big of fractured rock on the roads, because the cost is cheaper.
The bigger rock makes for bigger windshield damage.

Idiots who pass at 140, and then immediately pull in front of you are mainly the cause of windshield damage, these types who drive their jacked up pickups and SUV's with no mudflaps can wreck a windshield and a paint job pretty fast.

I sent a letter to both road maintenance companies last winter, asking them how they can be so stupid to have gone to such a big sized rock which only causes windshield damage and does nothing for traction? Their reply was: cost and availability.

They have hundreds of complaints each winter about the size of the rock, and simply don't care.
You would have better luck asking gas companies to lower prices 10 cents a litre, then having road maintenance companies care about your cracked windshield.

Driving the connector or Coquihalla is like playing a video game of don't get rocked, but only it's real, and only you care if you win!
matai
Banned

Post by matai »

I got a crack windshield in West Kelowna on a RAINY day... Of course a jacked up pickup truck with no mudguard was in front of me and was throwing rocks at me. How inconsiderate. $500 deductible to claim with rIpCBC or $450 for a new whineshield.

I've driven in Canada (where it's Winter for 10 months out of 12) for many years and NEVER got a cracked windshield. Only in BC do they put gravel on the road.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

Waah, just replace yer damn windshield yearly through ICBC's two hundred dollar deductible and be on your way.

It's a hazard of highway driving in the winter, there is no way around it. Accept and move on.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

I got this one from a little VW Golf going by me . Quite the whack !

When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife

Return to “B.C.”