Gov't grants-in-lieu of property taxes

dconzatti
Fledgling

Gov't grants-in-lieu of property taxes

Post by dconzatti »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Central-Ok ... erty-taxes

Code: Select all

The government of B.C. will be distributing $18.2 million in compensation for municipal property taxes to 63 communities throughout the province, including several here in the Okanagan.

This years' compensation represents an increase of $1.3 million over last year's payments.

Grants-in-lieu of property taxes are distributed annually as a way to reimburse municipalities for services that have benefited government properties, such as sewers, roads and fire protection.

While I find this as a huge benefit to hopefully keep municipal taxes in line, can anyone explain these numbers to me:

Vernon $102,427.89
Abbotsford $ 199,572.53
Kelowna $ 323,061.15
Kamloops $ 1,182,816.45

I could understand Kelowna receiving more then Abbotsford or Vernon, But Kamloops receiving 4x that of Kelowna? what is the amount given out based on?
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Re: Gov't grants-in-lieu of property taxes

Post by rvrepairnut »

good question and I have never heard of this till now?
Quote:
Grants-in-lieu of property taxes are distributed annually as a way to reimburse municipalities for services that have benefited government properties, such as sewers, roads and fire protection.

Kamloops has a large corrections institute? Look,s to me its based on amount of government buildings occupied and using the city infrastructers and police and fire availability etc
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Gov't grants-in-lieu of property taxes

Post by NAB »

I wonder how the amounts of grants in lieu of taxes would compare to federal and provincial owned properties (including schools?) being assessed and taxed municipally based on the same criteria as the private sector?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu

Return to “B.C.”