Bridge to the Island

dg3
Board Meister

Re: Bridge to the Island

Post by dg3 »

here is the solution, and it already very far along in development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moller_M400_Skycar
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

NAB wrote:It won't happen period. How many times does this subject have to be discussed in detail before everyone gets it?

Nab

Hope springs eternal, Nab. ;)
I haven't failed until I quit.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

dg3 wrote:here is the solution, and it already very far along in development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moller_M400_Skycar

That's cool. They could even toss a fishing line out the back and troll for lunch on the way to the Island. 8-P
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Popeye69
Board Meister

Post by Popeye69 »

NAB wrote:It won't happen period. How many times does this subject have to be discussed in detail before everyone gets it?

Nab

Sorry wasn't aware this was discussed, guess I'm not on here enough to be aware of every topic, but that's why your here I guess. Thanks.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Nab

Popeye69 wrote:Sorry wasn't aware this was discussed, guess I'm not on here enough to be aware of every topic, but that's why your here I guess. Thanks.

Here are a couple:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30897
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14389
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Popeye69
Board Meister

Post by Popeye69 »

Wow thanks, that was the thread I was aiming for.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

I found this link once discussing the possibility of a bridge: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/Publications/re ... d_link.htm

Key points I pick out on vancouver island vs PEI is different depth of water, different underwater ground material, longer span (26km vs 12.9km).

it also explores other options such as floating tunnels or underground tunnels.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just give Vancouver Island to the First Nations, stop all ferry service, and be done with it!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I could live with that. 8-P
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

Bsuds wrote:Just give Vancouver Island to the First Nations, stop all ferry service, and be done with it!

x2
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

LordEd wrote:I found this link once discussing the possibility of a bridge: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/Publications/re ... d_link.htm

Key points I pick out on vancouver island vs PEI is different depth of water, different underwater ground material, longer span (26km vs 12.9km).

it also explores other options such as floating tunnels or underground tunnels.

No way no how would I get in a 26km long floating tunnel.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I'm not sure now deep the Strait of Georgia is between lower mainland & Vancouver Island.
There are a couple of long tunnels crossing large bodies of water in the world here are 2 of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seikan_Tunnel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Tunnel

Both with huge price tags..... again not going to happen in my life time here.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The BC Government site proposes fixed links only on the shortest routes between the heavily populated areas.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/Publications/re ... d_link.htm

These $8 Billion and $12 Billion estimates are a huge amount. But on the other hand, the current Provincial government is sneaking a nearly $1Billion Northwest Transmission Line past us and we aren't blinking. It's up to $763 million and nowhere near complete yet and it won't earn Hydro a cent. In fact, it will send subsidized electrical power to a place called Bob Quinn Lake to a mine. Can't figure out how they deserve this much support, but they somehow do, and all of us will pay for it with these massive Hydro rate increases over the next few years. And there's no organized opposition.

But back to the Island fixed link....... a far cheaper link could be done at the north end of Georgia Strait, but that would mean constructing a road up the coast to Powell River and beyond and how willing is the public to travel that far north to cross over.

In 1958, the Federal Government removed Ripple Rock in that area because it was a navigation hazard, in what was the world's largest non-nuclear explosion up to that time. The Provincial Government wanted the Rock to remain as it could have been used as a footing for a bridge crossing. Again.... in the wrong place and too far from Vancouver and Victoria.

Any of these fixed link proposals would likely (for sure), be run by a private company and they'd collect tolls. The new Port Mann bridge is an example. It will be very lucrative for the owners, breaking even by about year 12 or 13 and then it's mainly profit until year 25 when they give the bridge, and it's onward escalating maintenance costs, to the provincial government. A link to the Island would be similar, and the toll they'd charge would have to be high, and would it really reduce the cost of an individual going across? It just wouldn't save much over what we pay now.

Most posters who propose a fixed crossing conveniently ignore the toll that would be inevitable.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

The Confederation Bridge to PEI costs $44.50 round trip and is half the length. Regardless, the natural topography of the area precludes a bridge form ever being built so it really is a moot point.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Bsuds wrote:Just give Vancouver Island to the First Nations, stop all ferry service, and be done with it!

HEY! The Island is beautiful place for any nationality but please don't move here....we are full
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan

Return to “B.C.”