Bridge to the Island

Popeye69
Board Meister

Bridge to the Island

Post by Popeye69 »

I wonder if any feasibility studies have been done to see if its possible?? Now before I get jumped on by "it costs too much" lets talk about "if" its possible what costs would be.. One huge cost that can be cut right off the top is...
DO NOT let the government design said bridge. Offer a contest, whatever university that comes up with a winning and approved design gets a prize, say 1 million bucks.
Why not let the government(municipal or provincial) design it??? Take a look at the Bennett bridge in Kelowna, it costs millions just in the design phase alone and when it was said and done anyone could of designed it, hell we have a engineering school here that probably would of done it for free as a project!! Lets utilize and challenge our future designers.. hold a contest.
The government is counting on billions from the gas fields so lets get these pipelines built, start shipping gas to China. Theres money. The government is spending millions upon millions of dollars on operating the ferries and always losing money. Once the bridge is built funnel the ferry money into paying off said bridge until paid for.
Place a toll on the bridge as well just like the new bridge heading into Vancouver, there is more income to pay off the bridge.
In five minutes a person can come up with a few ways to pay for a billion dollar bridge. Wont be quick by no means but it is feasible. We could even get federal help I'm sure. Look at the confederation bridge out east, its possible to span huge distances with a bridge so physically to me it seems feasible.
I would like to hear what anyone thinks on this, good or bad idea.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Bridge to the Island

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I think the ferry workers would do everything and anything in their power to kibosh any such plan.

I'm of the mind that if they can build a bridge to Newfoundland(wrong rock) PEI then they could sure as heck build one to the Island, and in the process eliminate the ever escalating costs associated with the ferry system.

Jobs would be created in the process, and in the end a fair chunk of the money pit known as BC Ferry Corporation could be scrapped.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Nov 19th, 2013, 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

You do realize that the ferries service more than just the main island, right?
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

underscore wrote:You do realize that the ferries service more than just the main island, right?

Yes but I'd have to figure that boats to the main Island see the most useage ergo the greatest benefit to travelers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Considering the fact that BC ferries announced today that they will be eliminating the ferry route between Port Hardy and Bella Coola do to a lack of money, I suspect that there is no money to build a bridge. Hwy 5 and Hwy 1 should be twinned first. Safety before wish lists, please.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It seems the northern routes lose more money than the Island route so a bridge won't help that aspect much.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

They haven't built a bridge to Newfoundland, it's to PEI. As far as crossing the Georgia Straight, it's too deep for a bridge.
Last edited by goatboy on Nov 19th, 2013, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

To many to's:

to deep
to long
to far (from lower mainland to make the bridge shorter in length)
to expensive
etc..etc..etc

Added later: taking a quick look at satellite map of GVRD the only area that may have secure anchor (reasonable bedrock) would be point grey near UBC. Which would be a very long bridge with area's needed for tanker traffic.
Not going to happen in my life time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Popeye69 wrote:Why not let the government(municipal or provincial) design it??? Take a look at the Bennett bridge in Kelowna, it costs millions just in the design phase alone and when it was said and done anyone could of designed it, hell we have a engineering school here that probably would of done it for free as a project!!

Newsflash - governments don't design bridges. Engineering companies do.

And no, not everybody can design a bridge. Jesus...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Popeye69 wrote:I wonder if any feasibility studies have been done to see if its possible?? Now before I get jumped on by "it costs too much" lets talk about "if" its possible what costs would be.. One huge cost that can be cut right off the top is...
DO NOT let the government design said bridge. Offer a contest, whatever university that comes up with a winning and approved design gets a prize, say 1 million bucks.
Why not let the government(municipal or provincial) design it??? Take a look at the Bennett bridge in Kelowna, it costs millions just in the design phase alone and when it was said and done anyone could of designed it, hell we have a engineering school here that probably would of done it for free as a project!! Lets utilize and challenge our future designers.. hold a contest.

You are aware that design incorporates much, much more than how something looks, right? And that the bridge/tunnel would have to navigate one of the busiest shipping routes in Western North America? And that you couldn't simply put bright pilings into the mud on the deepwater bottom? A lot more goes into planning something than "that looks purdy...".
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

oh this thread yet again

/rollseyes
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

goatboy wrote:They haven't built a bridge to Newfoundland, it's to PEI. As far as crossing the Georgia Straight, it's too deep for a bridge.

My bad, forgive me. I knew it was some rock on the east coast. 8-P
Popeye69
Board Meister

Post by Popeye69 »

To Captain Awesome and Gilchy... Yes yes yes well aware of both your guys points. Just didn't feel like writing another five paragraphs to explain the details of what goes into engineering and the elaborate process of putting a job out to tender by a government or municipality, then the bidding process yadda yadda yadda.. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, I'll make sure I go into exquisite detail for you guys next time so you guys don't get left behind.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Popeye69 wrote:To Captain Awesome and Gilchy... Yes yes yes well aware of both your guys points. Just didn't feel like writing another five paragraphs to explain the details of what goes into engineering and the elaborate process of putting a job out to tender by a government or municipality, then the bidding process yadda yadda yadda.. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, I'll make sure I go into exquisite detail for you guys next time so you guys don't get left behind.

Yes we were the ones missing out on some details.... Your original post didn't indicate any of that. Regardless, would love to see a bridge to the Island, I hate the ferries. Unfortunately won't happen anytime soon though.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

It won't happen period. How many times does this subject have to be discussed in detail before everyone gets it?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu

Return to “B.C.”