Wild horses take over hwy. & roads

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

very strange article. i am not sure if deborah pfeiffer has an agenda or not.

the title of the article claims the horses are "wild", but in the article she refers to the horses as "feral" and even cites a source, but oddly if one follows the link, there is just a similar allegation their origins. what males them think these animals are feral? where is the data to support this claim?

more disturbing though, the original article outlines a plan/desire to 'sterilize' the horses!!!! if you have trouble with math, please understand, what they mean is 'exterminate'.

disgusting.

by Deborah Pfeiffer - Story: 104524
Dec 11, 2013 / 4:39 pm

The Penticton RCMP continues to deal with the ongoing issue of wild horses wandering on to busy roads and Highway 97 in the West Bench area.

Just Tuesday, resident Theresa Nolet shot video (above) of the RCMP moving horses, that live on the Penticton Indian Band reserve, off the highway.

"My concern is the police cannot babysit these horses," said Nolet, who has long been concerned about the horses' welfare. "This is an accident waiting to happen, and my fear is someone will be seriously injured. Political leaders have to step-up to the plate and say enough is enough."

Cpl. Jas Johal says the RCMP has met with PIB chief Jonathan Kruger and the council this year, after receiving a high volume of calls, primarily from West Bench residents.

Earlier this year, two of the feral horses were killed on the highway.

"We are taking this issue quite seriously because public safety is paramount." he said. "The PIB is seeking a solution to this as well, but funding is an issue."

Johal estimates there are as many as 40 to 50 wild horses roaming in the Penticton, Keremeos and Summerland areas.

Currently the five issues they are focusing on are: brand registration, fencing and cattle guards, a common containment area where they can put hay and salt and a sterilization program, including castration or sterilizing the female horses.

Lastly, there has been talk about creating bylaws and polices for the PIB, so they can issue citations if branded horses roam freely.

There are about three or four cattle guards in place now on PIB land and some fencing. But dirt bikers cut the fencing down, contributing to the problem.

The PIB has also considered getting a chopper in to count the number of horses, but again getting the money to do that is an issue, said Johal.

He has also suggested getting support from government grants, with the Ministry of Highways possibly able to assist.

Kruger agreed that these solutions are being looked at.

"I think we are taking the best steps possible, considering what we have in front of us right now," he said.

In the last few years, band members have also brought the number of horses down, but the market for selling horses is currently not good.

Residents can also expect to see more of the animals around, because they come down from the hills in the winter and have more of a presence.

Any input from the public on the ongoing issue is also much appreciated.

"If the general public has any input or suggestions on this, both myself and PIB are open to hearing them," said Johal. "Again my primary concern is for public safety. If the horses are on the highway there is a risk to both the public and the horses."

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#104524

and the story referenced within the above article...

Horses hit on highway
by Adam Proskiw - Story: 88539
Mar 8, 2013 / 7:15 pm

A pair of feral horses were killed by a semi Friday morning on highway 97 north of Penticton.

The incident happened at around 7 a.m. near the Redwing housing complex.

According to West Bench resident Theresa Nolet, the horses “came down from the hills owned by the Penticton Indian Band.”

“I see them on and around the highway quite often,” she said.

“It’s really unsafe.”

Castanet warned motorists and we talked to the RCMP about the danger in this story from last week.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... on-highway
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Wild horses take over hwy. & roads

Post by Ken7 »

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=49663

It just does not matter...you cant stop the owners because no one in Canada will stand up to them.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

read the whole thread, a little harsh at times, but a very admirable effort for the most :)

what i read is dreamon addressing the issue immediately, the issue i have brought back to the table, are the horses 'wild' or are they 'feral'.

then i see you do some sleuthing to discover that there are layers here, and money is changing hands in the name of the horses, and really to facilitate the 'government's' agenda.

at least one other individual recognizes that this is ' a very old issue'.

some good information comes out, these horses have very dear dna.

a bit of muck gets thrown around :)

then the honourable jimsenchuk closes the debate with the truth, they are 'honourably' wild.

i most enjoyed the fact that at least some of y'all really do care about these horses.

i care about them.

with the question, are they wild or are they feral, i bring back to the table, i do so because the truth is in this dna.

the wild horses of bc were here before 'canadians' or 'americans' got here.

we know at least euros brought horses to the continent via the east coast, the gulf coast, and the west coast.

we also know the origins and genetic history of every other horse on the earth to my awareness, not these though.

these horses may contain evidence of horses on the continent before the 15th century.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

game off :)

i think it would have been great if the rcmp would have taken some dna when they had the chance.
T.Tsarnaev
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

here is a website illustrating the importance of the question dreamon and myself have brought to this forum.

http://www.fonv.ca/wildhorses/

DNA STUDY ON BC-BRITTANY TRIANGLE WILD HORSES CHALLENGES HISTORY

A soon to be released study of the genetics of wild horses in a remote corner of the province poses more questions than it answers. The study by world horse DNA expert Dr. Cothran and biologist Wayne McCrory was done at the Texas A & M University for VWS, FONV (Friends of Nemaiah Valley) and the Xeni First Nations Government. It is the first of its kind in western Canada. The Brittany Triangle is the remotest area left in western Canada where some 200 wild horses have roamed since before the coming of Europeans. The DNA study area is part of the Eagle Lake Henry ?Qayus wild horse reserve created by the Xeni Gwet’in First Nations – the only wild horse preserve in western Canada. DNA was analyzed from blood samples taken from domestic horses captured in the wild as well as from hair samples collected from tree branches and bedding areas. Historic documentation indicates that Brittany horses most likely originated from horses of Spanish ancestry brought in to the area by Tsilhqot’in First Nations about 1740 along ancient trade routes from Plateau grasslands to the south. However, the DNA study found very little remaining Spanish ancestry. The origins were more from the Canadian Heritage Horse breed or its ancestors. The most intriguing result of the genetic study is the possibility that Yakut horses, an ancient horse of Russian heritage, also contributed to the origins of the herd. How these bloodlines got to the remote Chilcotin is a mystery since the Russians only ever brought a small number of horses across to their Pacific coast fur trading posts. The report will be released in several months. (Valhalla Wilderness Society)

There are estimated to be between 800 and 1,000 wild or free-roaming horses in the Chilcotin. As many as 42% of these can be found within the ?Elegesi Qayus Wild Horse Preserve declared by the Xeni Gwet'in First Nations Government in 2002. The core Brittany Triangle area, lying between the Chilko and Taseko Rivers, contains about 200 truly wild, genetically distinct horses. The latter have experienced dramatic environmental and fire related environmental changes over the past ten years, yet continue to thrive and maintain their numbers, thus demonstrating considerable biological resiliency.

The Brittany and Nemiah Valley horses have achieved iconic status and have become the focus of intense global interest because of speculation as to their genetic and historic origins. They are the subjects of ongoing genetic analysis and cultural and ecological research by FONV, independent researchers, and graduate students. That research will be found on this web-site as it becomes available.

Since the wild horse preserve declaration, they have been protected by a Xeni Gwet'in Wild Horse Ranger funded by FONV. In 2007 the Supreme Court of B.C. found that the Tsilhqot'in people had an aboriginal right to manage them for their own use.

The province of British Columbia still refuses to recognize them as a species with a right to remain on the land, even though historical evidence is clear that they long preceded European settlement. FONV will continue to argue for their recognition as legitimate wildlife.

http://www.fonv.ca/wildhorses/
T.Tsarnaev
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:game off :)

i think it would have been great if the rcmp would have taken some dna when they had the chance.

If you are so interested in the lineage of these horses, why don't you go get some DNA samples yourself? Why download it to the RCMP? There are feed stations, bedding areas, and fence posts everywhere with their hair on them. If you want to pursue some wild goose chase that these horses have some unique DNA related to the horses in the Chilcoltin, go for it on your dime. These PIB lands horses are nothing but domestic mutt horses gone feral. I personally know of two PIB members who let their horses go "free" over 30 years ago. One was a Kruger and the other was Ken Eneas.

The heritage of these horses is no mystery to PIB members and further, if there was any possibility at all that they were some ancient local bloodline, it would have been milked already like a proverbial cash cow.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Horse meat is really nutritious stuff. Perhaps the band could foot the butcher bill and needy band members could fill their freezers?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... g#comments

Bill Everitt, who are you to declare these horses 'feral'? what is it you have against these innocent and noble creatures that you would disparage their heritage? you present quotes from interviews with ignorant folk, but you choose not to let the horses have a say in your story. where is the dna evidence to support your claim? or did you just make up your story, without referencing any real information, any truth?

we have such a unique and rare possession in these horses, i cannot figure out why anyone would make up lies about them, and cast such a negative light upon them.

bill everitt, why not do some research and graduate from a peddler of propaganda to a real journalist.
T.Tsarnaev
GEW
Fledgling

Post by GEW »

If they can't be kept off the highway, shoot em! If you don't want that, then find your own accommodation for them. It's a safety issue if they are putting lives at risk by venturing on the highway.
It seems some people have thieir priorities wrong - horse life over human life.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

and i suppose you would advocate the same for moose, deer, marmot, cougar, wolves, caribou, grizzly, whooping cranes, turtles and any other wild animal that gets in your way?
T.Tsarnaev
GEW
Fledgling

Post by GEW »

My short answer is yes.
However, most drivers only have a problem with deer and moose; they are legitimately wild animals so we are cautious and do what we can. In addition, precautionary measures such as deer fencing and wildlife overpasses have been installed in some places to reduce these hazards.
Then, all of a sudden, motorists have a new hazard to deal with, caused by human negligence and everybody is too afraid to deal with it. Horses have been mostly domesticated in this area for 100 years. Let's keep it that way and keep road hazards to an absolute minimum.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

IMO
This Feral horse problem, is no different than the "Free Range Cattle" that are let loose to wander the countryside and highway west of Angel Falls on highway 6.

These "Free Range" cattle wander down the middle of the highway and stop wherever the mood hits them.
Just look on the highway and with out any problem you will see cow crap all over the highway.
This crap in itself is a safety hazard.
Cow crap and rain on pavement - grease and oil should be that slippery!
Road apples and feral horses on the highways, is no different - how many people have been killed and injured because of it?

Do you have any idea how heart stopping it is to come around a blind corner at even 50k and there are 15 to 25 cows scattered all over the road? Not a fun time let me assure you.....

And according to the RCMP and various people that live on Hiway 6 - this is legal.

I agree with GEW - They are a safety hazard and it needs to be removed.
If you have to shoot them - then fly at it.

If you want "free range beef" (Do you have any idea what the "health food stores" charge for it?) - just head up highway 6 for about 45 min or so past Lumby, and take your choice. Free to harvest from the landscape whenever you want!!

Even if they are missed - it can be claimed that the bears in that area are having a great feast.

NNA

**Edit to correct location of the "Free Range {Feral} Cattle"
Last edited by NotNorthAnymore on May 25th, 2014, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

so if i follow your 'logic', because people have intoduced domesticated dogs as well, fox, coyotes and wolves have lost any need for protection from us?

because we have domestic horses, we should not render wild horses extinct.

as you say, this is a human created problem. humans created the roads, humans drive the cars. but you figure because humans do, anywildlife that should interfere with that should be eliminated. that is truly awful and selfish thinking.

notnorthanymore, these are wild horses, not feral. if you are choosing to refute that then i suggest you bring some proof of your otherwise baseless allegation.
T.Tsarnaev
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:so if i follow your 'logic', because people have intoduced domesticated dogs as well, fox, coyotes and wolves have lost any need for protection from us?

because we have domestic horses, we should not render wild horses extinct.

as you say, this is a human created problem. humans created the roads, humans drive the cars. but you figure because humans do, anywildlife that should interfere with that should be eliminated. that is truly awful and selfish thinking.

notnorthanymore, these are wild horses, not feral. if you are choosing to refute that then i suggest you bring some proof of your otherwise baseless allegation.

You started the discussion - you supply the proof!
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

notnorthanymore, if you cannot take the time to read this short thread, i suggest you not participate.

i have shown that there is dna evidence that shows these horses predate europeans.

why you think i should provide evidence to support your ideas born of fantasy and ignorance is beyond my thinking.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “Central Okanagan”