RCMP Const. sues force's process server

A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

RCMP Const. sues force's process server

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

strange story indeed. it seems being female in the rcmp is wrought with perils.
is it reasons like this rcmp members flee their communities?

RCMP Const. Karen Katz sues force's process server
Suit claims Norman Hofmann made up stories during attempt to get inside her apartment building
The Canadian Press Posted: Dec 14, 2013

An RCMP officer in Kamloops, B.C., who is suing the force for harassment and abuse has now filed a lawsuit against a man who tried to serve her with legal documents from the force.

Const. Karen Katz filed a notice of civil claim Wednesday, alleging Norman Hofmann defamed her and then damaged her reputation again in a written report to the RCMP.

The document filed with B.C. Supreme Court alleges Hofmann was attempting to get inside the apartment building where Katz lived in February 2013, in order to serve her documents from the force while she was on sick leave.

According to the claim Katz submitted, Hofmann didn't tell the building manager that he was actually there in order to serve her with legal documents, and instead identified himself as a private investigator. Hofmann then allegedly asked the building manager if he could access the parkade to inspect Katz's vehicle because it was involved in a hit and run.

The document also alleges Hofmann returned in March, where he again tried to convince the building manager to let him in — this time by flashing a letter with an RCMP letterhead. The building manager allegedly told Hofmann that he could get in, but only if he returned with a warrant.

Katz said in an interview that Hofmann was trying to serve her with documents notifying her that the RCMP intended to discharge her. She said the force mailed those papers to her in July.

"I am livid," Katz said. "You don't accuse me of a crime I didn't commit, and, you know, this is my personal reputation you are talking about, and this is my community where I live ... and you don't fabricate a crime."

The court document says Hofmann's hit-and-run comment to the building manager meant Katz had fled the scene of an accident in which she was involved, was hiding material evidence and interfering with a police investigation, had committed a crime, and was unfit to be a constable in the RCMP.

The notice of civil claim also alleges Hofmann told the force in March 2013 that Katz was avoiding being served with legal documents and had advised other residents not to allow anyone trying to do so into the building. It says comments in the written report he submitted to the force meant she was unfit to be a constable, was deceitful, was not to be trusted and was of questionable character.

"As a result of the wrongful conduct of the defendant in defaming, slandering and/or libelling the plaintiff, the plaintiff has been brought into public criticism, odium and contempt, particularly within the RCMP and the building in which she resides," the notice of civil claim says.

"As a result of the wrongful conduct of the defendant, the plaintiff has been humiliated, deeply embarrassed, has suffered emotional distress and has suffered loss and damage and will continue to suffer."

None of the allegations have been proven in court, and Hofmann, who could not be contacted, has not yet filed a statement of defence, though he has 21 days to do so.

RCMP spokesman Sgt. Rob Vermeulen declined to comment on the lawsuit.

"That's between her, the private investigator and the court," he said in an email.

Katz is seeking general, special, exemplary and aggravated damages, as well as costs and any other relief the court may award.

She has already launched two civil lawsuits against the RCMP, alleging harassment by one of her colleagues and widespread harassment and abuse throughout her career. But the force has denied the allegations in two statements of defence.

Katz has said that she's been on medical leave since 2009 and is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2464492
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: RCMP Const. sues force's process server

Post by Donald G »

IMO what is going on is a typical response of a police officer who has not been capable of working for several years but does everything possible to evade being served with documents that MUST be served on them personally before their paycheck can be cut off. Including a number who have appealed such service any number of times, saying they were too ill to instruct (aka listen to) their lawyers.

Part of the price that the RCMP is paying for the mandatory politically correct recruiting that was imposed on the RCMP a few years back when gender, language and minority appearance meant more than ability and qualifications. A lot of that stupidity still goes on regarding those who were recruited but proved unable to carry out minimal operational duties.

There are many political appointees who are fully capable but the ones who are not sure do pose ongoing problems by blocking an officer position but not performing any of the work associated to that position in order to continue getting paid their regular salary. Other officers must perform the work of the unfit officer in addition to their own work.
Last edited by Donald G on Dec 15th, 2013, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

hiring a third party to slander the member seems beyond anything one can imagine as 'acceptable' though.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Donald G wrote:IMO what is going on is a typical response of a police officer who has not been capable of working for several years but does everything possible to evade being served with documents that MUST be served on them personally before their paycheck can be cut off. Including a number who have appealed such service any number of times, saying they were too ill to instruct (aka listen to) their lawyers.

They say that Lupis is the disease with a thousand faces. Panic/anxiety/PTSD should be labeled the mental diseases with a thousand hidden faces. A person/shrink/police force/doctor who has not personally experienced these mental health conflicts will never understand how the sufferer is feeling. It is impossible for them to understand and also impossible for the ill person to vocalize and try to explain fully.

I can well believe some were too ill to instruct (aka listen to) their lawyers. They can be functioning well one minute and then, for no apparent reason, be totally dysfunctional the next. It can be incredibly debilitating and frustrating.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To grammafreddy ...

I defer to your allegation regarding Lupis applying in this instance. My comments were not directed AT the officer identified in this article. My comments were the result of years of seeing the RCMP being unwilling or unable to deal with officers who remained in their paid position and did everything possible to avoid parting company with their police salary. In spite of the fact that other officers had been carrying their work load for them for years.

Medical pensions are a reality of life for any number of disabled officers who truly suffer injury or disease as a result of their employment, providing they were performing the full scale of duties in the first place.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

iam so glad this broad is no longer in the police force as she,s obviously a few bricks short of a load
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:It says comments in the written report he submitted to the force meant she was unfit to be a constable, was deceitful, was not to be trusted and was of questionable character.

Sounds pretty accurate from what i've read.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Donald G wrote:To grammafreddy ...

I defer to your allegation regarding Lupis applying in this instance. My comments were not directed AT the officer identified in this article. My comments were the result of years of seeing the RCMP being unwilling or unable to deal with officers who remained in their paid position and did everything possible to avoid parting company with their police salary. In spite of the fact that other officers had been carrying their work load for them for years.

Medical pensions are a reality of life for any number of disabled officers who truly suffer injury or disease as a result of their employment, providing they were performing the full scale of duties in the first place.

Say it ain't true. There are actually members of the RCMP that have learned how to milk the system?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To twobits ...

The policing profession is a very demanding life; both physiologically and psychologically. Less than ideal management and supervision and the effect of Nepotism and imposed politically correct recruiting and promotion have contributed to a significantly uneven officer workload. Both the fully capable and qualified hard workers and those "permitted" to join the force for "political reasons" break down over time. For obviously very different sets of reasons.

For any number of years those initially unsuited to performing FULL policing duties have used stress produced "sick leave" to escape the unacceptable (to them) stress of the job, leaving the other officers to carry even more of the workload on a daily basis. The fact that some of the hardest working and most productive police officers have an aversion to taking sick leave when they are physiologically or psychologically well passed the point of needing it is another matter.

IMO police management is doing a very poor job of dealing with both.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

It doesn't sound to me like an RCMP issue but, at most, a misconduct of a private investigator issue.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
rvrepairnut
Board Meister

Post by rvrepairnut »

FreeRights wrote:It doesn't sound to me like an RCMP issue but, at most, a misconduct of a private investigator issue.

misconduct?? haha that funny.The guys a process server trying to serve papers on a nutball on behalf of the RCMP.
He gives the landlord a line of BS to gain entry.So what all in a day work for process servers and this nutball women ex cop has no case in my opinion
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It seems to me that this thread identifies that an officer involved in a wage and suitability dispute with the RCMP can use every dishonest tactic imaginable to avoid being served with Court Issued legal documents, including simply refusing to answer their door. In this case IMO for the purpose of thwarting a judicial process aimed at determining what outcome would seem suitable in the interests of justice.

Yet if the process server does anything to try to trick the litigant or those protecting the litigant they get sued?

There is something inherently wrong with a process that allows people to do anything to stop the judicial process from taking place and punishes those intent on seeing the process proceed. Something very wrong.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

rvrepairnut wrote:misconduct?? haha that funny.The guys a process server trying to serve papers on a nutball on behalf of the RCMP.
He gives the landlord a line of BS to gain entry.So what all in a day work for process servers and this nutball women ex cop has no case in my opinion

Having extensive experience in process serving and private investigation, I know that slander is not an appropriate way that a private investigator conducts business. In fact, admitting or alluding to being a private investigator is a huge no-no.

And many PIs do process serving work.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Donald G wrote:It seems to me that this thread identifies that an officer involved in a wage and suitability dispute with the RCMP can use every dishonest tactic imaginable to avoid being served with Court Issued legal documents, including simply refusing to answer their door. In this case IMO for the purpose of thwarting a judicial process aimed at determining what outcome would seem suitable in the interests of justice.

Yet if the process server does anything to try to trick the litigant or those protecting the litigant they get sued?

There is something inherently wrong with a process that allows people to do anything to stop the judicial process from taking place and punishes those intent on seeing the process proceed. Something very wrong.

not exactly ,im not sure where in the criminal code you would look , so in form us all where it says a process server can break the law to do the job.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

FreeRights wrote:It doesn't sound to me like an RCMP issue but, at most, a misconduct of a private investigator issue.

that is exactly what it is , even if you think the woman is in the wrong , im still not seeing where the server can be above the law. bounty hunters and car repossessor, if they happen upon the owner of the car , have to fully identify who they are, and what they are up to .i personally think that the woman that is sueing , is most likely up to something , because she seemed ready for papers to be delivered, but more importantly , i think the server messed up and if a judge will hearher case, then be warned if you are a server, stay with in the law

Return to “B.C.”