Babies in Prison?

tommythecat
Fledgling

Babies in Prison?

Post by tommythecat »

VANCOUVER - A B.C. Supreme Court judge says a decision to cancel a program allowing incarcerated women to serve time with their babies was unconstitutional.

Two former inmates of the Alouette Correctional Centre for Women in Maple Ridge, B.C., launched the court action in 2008, when a prison official cancelled the program because infants were not within the mandate of the correctional service.

Justice Carol Ross sided with the mothers, saying the decision violated their charter and equality rights.

The judge suspended her ruling for six months so the provincial government can comply with the decision.

Grace Pastine of the BC Civil Liberties Association says the program led to better heath outcomes for the babies, and the government will no longer be able to refuse to administer such programs.

Kasari Govender of West Coast LEAF, a women's legal education group, says the ruling is a win for highly vulnerable women and their children who will now have better future prospects.

*bleep*/newsitem/Babies-can-s ... dge/IT6725

Although I believe that it's very important for Babies to be with they're Mother's, I'm not sure how I feel about them being in a prison..
Positive energy activates constant elevation
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Babies in Prison?

Post by JLives »

They are more aware they are with their mother than they are in a prison. I'm for it if the mother is otherwise capable of looking after them.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Women in prison are there because they can't look after their own lives, let alone those of an innocent child.
Last edited by Rwede on Dec 17th, 2013, 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Rwede wrote:Women in prison are they because they can't look after their own lives, let alone those of an innocent child.

-----------10/10----------------
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Thankfully we have judges to make such decisions!
Chill
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

ya,thank god for morons
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Now you're just insulting morons by comparing them to anyone who'd allow a criminal in prison to have an infant with them. ;)
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Rwede wrote:Women in prison are there because they can't look after their own lives, let alone those of an innocent child.

Women are in prison for a variety of different reasons. Every one of them led a different path. If being with their baby and forming a bond during the most critical stage helps them on the path to recovery and leading a better life we should be facilitating that. I believe in using our justice system to help people not to re-offend. There is nothing worth fighting for more than your child.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Women are in prison because they are criminals. No amount of sugar sweetens that fact.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

17. In Sweden the general policy is that children should not live in a prison environment. Babies are rarely accepted into a prison, but they can be accommodated for up to a year and the average stay is 3 months.

18. In Germany, mothers are allowed to have their children with them in prison until the child reaches 6 years of age. There are 6 closed prisons which allow children up to 3 years old, and 2 open prisons which allow children up to the age of 6. The open unit at Frondenberg is located outside the prison walls, reflecting a policy of distancing the mother-child unit from the rest of the prison. Each mother has her own apartment comprising a bedroom/living room, a kitchen and bathroom.

19. In the Netherlands children may stay until their fourth birthday in Ter Peel prison, and in 5 other closed prisons up to 9 months.

20. In Russia there are 35 correctional colonies for women, 10 of which have accommodation for children. Most of these provide improved conditions, including additional food and showers for the mothers.

21. In Iceland only very young babies who are breastfeeding or who have special needs may stay in prison.

22. Portugal, Spain and Switzerland allow children up to 3 years, Finland up to 2 years, to stay in prison.

23. Denmark allows male and female prisoners to have their children with them if they will be released by the time the child is 3 but in practice few children are ever held in prisons.

24. In England and Wales 3 closed prisons have places for 34 babies and one open prison has places for 20 babies. Children may stay until they are 18 months old in the open prison and in one closed prison, otherwise the limit is 9 months.

http://assembly.coe.int/ASP/Doc/XrefVie ... anguage=en
Chill
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Interesting that crime rates are much, much higher, and climbing, in Europe compared to Canada, where crime rates are still declining.

Is the European Club Fed making incarceration less of a deterrent to crime?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Probably all those prison babies learning a life of crime.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Rwede wrote:Women are in prison because they are criminals. No amount of sugar sweetens that fact.

yup............
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Yes, let's damage the child irreparably by not ensuring the formative years are correctly facilitated. Some of you are bent on ensuring another generation of troubled children. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

WhatThe wrote:Yes, let's damage the child irreparably by not ensuring the formative years are correctly facilitated. Some of you are bent on ensuring another generation of troubled children. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

and raising kids in jail.is the way to go....??????? ignorance is bliss

Return to “B.C.”