Russia: 8.1%
Iceland: 4.0%
Spain: 7.9%
Portugal: 5.3%
Switzerland: 6.1%
Denmark: 4.5%
England/Wales: 5.0%

Canada: 5.0%

Overwhelmingly, with only a couple of exceptions, the countries you listed have higher (up to 62% higher) female incarceration proportions. On average at 5.9% female incarceration, the countries that allow children to be in prison with their mothers are experiencing rates 18% higher than Canada's female incarceration rate.

Good analysis Richard. It shows without a doubt that allowing women to keep their kids in prison trends toward a higher female incarceration rate. Is there a crime deterrent for a woman if being separated from her kids is a possible result? Absolutely. Those arguing the contrary have abandoned common sense for partisan political defence, and they look damned silly doing it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Babies in Prison?

Post by maryjane48 »

. Those arguing the contrary have abandoned common sense for partisan political defence, and they look damned silly doing it.
but you are arguing for more tax dollars to be spent raising these womens kids and if a judge does not include in the sentence , cant see kid, then what right does anyone have to say no?
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

lakevixen wrote: but you are arguing for more tax dollars to be spent raising these womens kids and if a judge does not include in the sentence , cant see kid, then what right does anyone have to say no?

You're arguing a false economy. The money we would spend raising a kid properly, and giving them a chance to turn out as productive members of society rather than just another criminal (following Mom's example) and burden on the taxpayers is money well spent.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Does anyone have the number or facts on the point made, how many children growing up in useless Criminal homes turn the other way?

It's funny, how many youth I dealt with who I knew their father and their grandfather too.

I know this isn't totally true but many people in the system continue, it is a cycle that needs to be broken. I won't get into the other cycles that are no different.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Ken7 wrote:
When people ask, so where were you born? I reply in Northern Saskatchewan. Can you imagine these kids, born in Prince Albert penitentiary.

Just wait about twenty years, some lawyer will start a class action law suit for unlawful detention and these poor children will then be awarded a large sum of money.

Now if a mother is a lifer, will the child be too??

You're obviously completely unaware of how many children are born inside jail regardless of staying with the mother.

There's no such thing as a lifer inside a provincial jail - two years less a day
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Ken7 wrote:Does anyone have the number or facts on the point made, how many children growing up in useless Criminal homes turn the other way?

It's funny, how many youth I dealt with who I knew their father and their grandfather too.

I know this isn't totally true but many people in the system continue, it is a cycle that needs to be broken. I won't get into the other cycles that are no different.

Exactly, so lets make sure the child doesn't have attachment issues growing up.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

WhatThe wrote:

There's no such thing as a lifer inside a provincial jail - two years less a day

My apologies, I only sent people to prison. Where I come from jail is less two years, and Prison is Federal. I am quite aware that Provincial Jails only keep you for two years less a day.

Did I miss the tittle of this post.... nope it says Prison.
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

Ken7 wrote:My apologies, I only sent people to prison. Where I come from jail is less two years, and Prison is Federal. I am quite aware that Provincial Jails only keep you for two years less a day.

Did I miss the tittle of this post.... nope it says Prison.

I would think someone in the position to send a person to prison would be more aware of what they were reading and responding to...where you came from jail less two years... of what? More jibberish...
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Good analysis Richard. It shows without a doubt that allowing women to keep their kids in prison trends toward a higher female incarceration rate. Is there a crime deterrent for a woman if being separated from her kids is a possible result? Absolutely. Those arguing the contrary have abandoned common sense for partisan political defence, and they look damned silly doing it.

So, what you guys are suggesting is that women commit crimes so they can be jailed after they find out they’re pregnant? Women with babies commit crimes so they can go to jail and have someplace warm to stay? You guys are fortunate we don’t just jail people for simply being stupid. I sure hope you guys don’t have jobs that require making any important decisions.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

NOTYOU wrote:

I would think someone in the position to send a person to prison would be more aware of what they were reading and responding to...where you came from jail less two years... of what? More jibberish...

More Jibberish... LOL.

A Jail term as most common persons know it as, is two years less one day, that is time in a Provincial Correctional Center or Jail..

If a person is sent to prison it is more then two years, that is a Federal Institution such as Prince Albert Penitentiary or name any other federal institution.

That is in Canada. Maybe let google be your friend..

Besides a past career in enforcement I grew up where we had a womans Jail, a mens Jail and a Federal Prison. I think I know a little more about it then you suggest!
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

What about the father's of these babies?

Would they not be better off living with their father who is not in jail if they have one?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

baconbits wrote:What about the father's of these babies?

Would they not be better off living with their father who is not in jail if they have one?

Good point. Fathers can and do nurse their offspring given their desire to do so (but not a thing wrong in bottle feeding) and certainly they are perfectly able to care for the child's needs and welfare - perhaps as well and in a lot of cases better than a mother. But it seems our culture sees a man as a breadwinner rather than a nurturer so unfortunately his support systems would not be as broad as a new mother's. Sadly -
Chill
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

[quote="Ken7"]

I don't need to Google anything...read your response...where I come from jail less two years...jail is less two years of what??? All I was inferring is someone in the position to send another person to prison should have a better grasp of the English language...
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

A Jail term as most common persons know it as, is two years less one day, that is time in a Provincial Correctional Center or Jail..
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

Ken7 wrote:A Jail term as most common persons know it as, is two years less one day, that is time in a Provincial Correctional Center or Jail..

I know the difference between a jail term and a prison term...what I want to know is what does "jail is less two years" mean??? You brought it up in your posting and it makes absolutely no sense...as I said before...jibberish...

Return to “B.C.”