Babies in Prison?

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Babies in Prison?

Post by steven lloyd »

Ken7 wrote:A Jail term as most common persons know it as, is two years less one day, that is time in a Provincial Correctional Center or Jail..

Correct. Such as Alouette Correctional Centre for Women in Maple Ridge, B.C - the institution where this is happening. A good choice for infants up to age two where attachment and bonding is so crucial to psychsocial development. You are correct in your distinction of the difference betweeb provincial and federal institutions, and while the federal institutions offer more programming I can't say the idea of having a child over two years of age staying in those conditions for any length of time as being a positive exxperience for mother or child. Very important in the first two years though and leads to lower recidivism.

In case the fab four are unable to figure it out, lower recidivism is a good thing. As is having children who have passed the developmental stage of attachment to their parent - the failure of which is correlated those who become psychopaths (it can be very tough to think outside those tiny little ideological boxes that some like to refer to as "minds". The other question is why doesn't the father raise them? I would expect those decisiona are made on a case by case basis that would be a terrible idea.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NOTYOU wrote:I know the difference between a jail term and a prison term...what I want to know is what does "jail is less two years" mean??? You brought it up in your posting and it makes absolutely no sense...as I said before...jibberish...

In case you were genuinely incapable of grasping the intention of his post (unlike everyone else here), a federal sentence is where a person goes to a federal prison for two years or more. A provincial sentence can be as long as two years less a day but the person sentenced will spend that time in provincial institutions. Contrary to opinions formed from rhetoric and the availability heuristic (media sensationalism) the actual numbers show BC has some of the lowest recidivism rates in the country and the world, and our cognitive-behavioural model of assessing, rating and working with offenders is being modelled around the globe (the United States, Japan, Australia and Eastern European countries look to us to see how it is done). Many who do recidivate make the news and many people work no harder than reading a news story meant to sell news. The hard evidence and statistics are clear. British Columbians can be proud of the work being done by their Correctional system.
stormydancer

Post by stormydancer »

Alouette also does remand, so some of these inmates have not been convicted or sentenced. They are awaiting their trial.

Interesting how folks change this to "growing up in prison" when we are talking about less than the first 2 years of life.

Did you see the family in Sask that rescued their niece from foster care only to starve her to death? Do you have any idea what the ALTERNATIVE to this arrangement is? Where these children end up?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

quote="Ken7"]
NOTYOU wrote:

I would think someone in the position to send a person to prison would be more aware of what they were reading and responding to...where you came from jail less two years... of what? More jibberish...

More Jibberish... LOL.

A Jail term as most common persons know it as, is two years less one day, that is time in a Provincial Correctional Center or Jail..

If a person is sent to prison it is more then two years, that is a Federal Institution such as Prince Albert Penitentiary or name any other federal institution.

That is in Canada. Maybe let google be your friend..

correct on all counts

Besides a past career in enforcement I grew up where we had a womans Jail, a mens Jail and a Federal Prison. I think I know a little more about it then you suggest![/quote]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

baconbits wrote:What about the father's of these babies?

Would they not be better off living with their father who is not in jail if they have one?

most of the time, the fathers are also doing time
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

quote="WhatThe"]
Ken7 wrote:
When people ask, so where were you born? I reply in Northern Saskatchewan. Can you imagine these kids, born in Prince Albert penitentiary.

Just wait about twenty years, some lawyer will start a class action law suit for unlawful detention and these poor children will then be awarded a large sum of money.

Now if a mother is a lifer, will the child be too??

You're obviously completely unaware of how many children are born inside jail regardless of staying with the mother.

There's no such thing as a lifer inside a provincial jail - two years less a day[/quote]

YES ,there is its called a lifer on the installment plan.in and in and out ,over and over again
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

the truth wrote: most of the time, the fathers are also doing time

While that is likely sometimes true, in fact, most of the time the fathers are simply out of the picture for any number of reasons - identity or whereabouts unknown, drug addicted on the streets, abusive and mother does not want him to know, etc.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

steven lloyd wrote:Correct. Such as Alouette Correctional Centre for Women in Maple Ridge, B.C - the institution where this is happening. A good choice for infants up to age two where attachment and bonding is so crucial to psychsocial development. You are correct in your distinction of the difference betweeb provincial and federal institutions, and while the federal institutions offer more programming I can't say the idea of having a child over two years of age staying in those conditions for any length of time as being a positive exxperience for mother or child. Very important in the first two years though and leads to lower recidivism.

In case the fab four are unable to figure it out, lower recidivism is a good thing. As is having children who have passed the developmental stage of attachment to their parent - the failure of which is correlated those who become psychopaths (it can be very tough to think outside those tiny little ideological boxes that some like to refer to as "minds". The other question is why doesn't the father raise them? I would expect those decision are made on a case by case basis that would be a terrible idea.

I think that's a great Idea. Gangster Daddies. A guy should design a line of baby care which is bullet proof, the strollers have places to pack heat and lots of bling with room for packing a little extra product. Great thought. Do they even know the fathers?

Reality is you are right, a child needs a mother.

Do you think sometimes these woman are getting pregnant, hoping some kind judge may reduce sentence? There is actually one or two cases where inmates have conceived while incarcerated. You won't read about that in the papers. ( Inside information )

What is the costs of keeping mothers with child vs. putting child up to foster care while mother is doing her time? Anyone know that cost? Guards now will want additional pay to cope with the daycare atmosphere now also I'm sure.

In short, I guess I look at it like any other adult who is going to turn to crime. If you become involved you know the consequences, and infants should be fostered out. Another alternative is have immediate family care for the child, as many are extended families anyway. Let Auntie raise the child as they do anyway when a mother is involved in crime living it on the outside.
Beerhunter341
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Beerhunter341 »

I don't think a blanket approach will work for this. It needs to be handled on a case by case basis. The number one consideration has to be the child's best interest. Essentially this child/baby is being locked up in prison as well so whom is representing the child? It should be proven in court that the child should be in prison with his/her mother.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

the truth wrote:

You're obviously completely unaware of how many children are born inside jail regardless of staying with the mother.

There's no such thing as a lifer inside a provincial jail - two years less a day

I possibly am unaware of just how many. Would you post some numbers as you think you know it. I'm waiting, thanks!
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

WhatThe wrote:

There's no such thing as a lifer inside a provincial jail - two years less a day

Ken7 wrote:I possibly am unaware of just how many. Would you post some numbers as you think you know it. I'm waiting, thanks!

Not gonna bother to search exact numbers for you, can't be bothered to waste my time, as you havent even bothered to investigate the story in the first place. As a former cop with your use of prison as opposed to jail and you associated comments showed me you commented without understanding the content from the get go. Google women with babies in prison and it will give you an idea. Not trying to be a dick but c'mon.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

WhatThe wrote:

Not gonna bother to search exact numbers for you, can't be bothered to waste my time, as you havent even bothered to investigate the story in the first place. As a former cop with your use of prison as opposed to jail and you associated comments showed me you commented without understanding the content from the get go. Google women with babies in prison and it will give you an idea. Not trying to be a dick but c'mon.

You have made a statement, I agreed I may be unaware I don't know everything on every posted topic unlike some.

I asked you for evidence and you have none. That is odd to me.

As for prison or jail, that is out of the Police Officers hands. It falls into the hands of Crown Counsel and ultimately the Judge.

Sorry, if you were offended. I asked a simple question, you can not provide any factual evidence. What ever, I guess it's like the person who says, "I heard." Without a source or physical evidence there is little or no relevance to what they are saying as I see in your unsubstantiated claim a large number of female prisoners enter the system pregnant.

As for the concept, I do understand I'm a little ahead of you. Thanks.

Return to “B.C.”