The Lower Mainland is Happy Keeping Marijuana Illegal

Glacier
The Pilgrim

The Lower Mainland is Happy Keeping Marijuana Illegal

Post by Glacier »

If you look at the most right-wing interior ridings or the most left-wing ridings, you'll find that the Sensible BC campaign was successful at least some of the time. It's a completely difference scenario on the Lower Mainland. The only two ridings down there that were successful were Vancouver Mountain Pleasant (famous for DTES drug use) and Vancouver Westend (and we know what they famous for). The rest of the 46 ridings were failures.

Sensible BC results:

Interior ridings: 11 of 24 (almost 50%) were successful.
Island/Sunshine Coast ridings: 7 of 15 (almost 50%) ridings were successful.
Lower Mainland ridings: 2 of 46 (almost 5%) were successful. OUCH!

9867-MAP-550.jpg

RED = more than the 10% threshold
YELLOW = almost successful (8 to 10%)
GREEN = over half way to success(5 to 7%)
BLUE = utter failure (less than 5%).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: The Lower Mainland is Happy Keeping Marijuana Illegal

Post by jimmy4321 »

You could be right .
Truth is people are too lazy to actually vote in elections let alone go out and sign a worthless piece of paper.

I don't think a petition is an accurate reading though,a lot of factors come into play.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

jimmy4321 wrote:You could be right .
Truth is people are too lazy to actually vote in elections let alone go out and sign a worthless piece of paper.

I don't think a petition is an accurate reading though,a lot of factors come into play.

Only if all person who sign, prove I'd and residency as well. As I did not sign I'm only going by what others have said. Did you need to prove with photo Id and address along with being of legal voting age?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If it wasn`t in the media i wouldn`t have known.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I was in a red zone so that's good.

One of the benefits to a map like this is it shows them where they need to target next time.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I wonder how long it took Glacier to do the coloring.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:I wonder how long it took Glacier to do the coloring.

This is why I have kids. They like colouring more than I do.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Glacier wrote:This is why I have kids. They like colouring more than I do.

They never once went outside of the edges. That's a sign of parental abuse you know.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Before a mass of people can determine whether they are in favor of making marijuana more available they have to have some knowledge regarding the positive and negative aspects of marijuana and how those soliciting signatures suggest going about expanding marijuana use in society. That did not happen during the petitioning process.

Far too much exaggerated and downright false information was being given out by those who professed to support and speak for Sensible BC. That included some of those at the tents and sign up stations.

There were umpteen dozen versions of what Sensible BC stood for and how it intended to go about arbitrarily trying to legalize and/or decriminalize various quantities and qualities of marijuana. Very few of them founded on actual facts regarding marijuana and the role marijuana plays in criminal drug gangs obtaining heroin, cocaine and Oxy and the gang violence resulting therefrom.

The changes in their marijuana policy by Health Canada as of April 1, 2014 offers a very sensible, educated, knowledgeable, systematic and profitable way to go about further medicalizing and marketing small personal quantities of marijuana for recreational use without unduly helping criminal drug gangs.

The process is covered on another thread in relation to the Marijuana Grow slated for Kelowna. The fact that marijuana, on the whole, offers much less problem and damage to society than booze and tobacco is one of its biggest selling features.

The fact that legally and illegally grown BC Bud presently play a significant role in a criminal drug gangs ability to finance the purchase of far more addictive and lucrative drugs like heroin, cocaine and Oxy AND there is no known roadside test for impaired marijuana are two of the main concerns against the further legalization or decriminalization (in practice they have significantly different consequences) of primarily larger amounts of high THC marijuana.

"Sign here and trust me" is not an approach that the majority of people in any voting area will buy into for obvious reasons.
IMO that approach by Sensible BC and the quantity of known false information is what caused the petition to fail in many parts of the province.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Donald G wrote:"Sign here and trust me" is not an approach that the majority of people in any voting area will buy into for obvious reasons.
IMO that approach by Sensible BC and the quantity of known false information is what caused the petition to fail in many parts of the province.

The question of the day is, why was the campaign so much more effective outside of the Lower Mainland?
- Douglas Murray
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

grammafreddy wrote:I was in a red zone so that's good.

One of the benefits to a map like this is it shows them where they need to target next time.

They'll forget where they put the map.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Glacier wrote:The question of the day is, why was the campaign so much more effective outside of the Lower Mainland?

I'm going to make a guess and say that it's harder to campaign in populated and more dense areas - or convince people to do anything such as sign something or vote for something.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

How does your map compare to the population density of the various areas?

The large blue area in the north east corner of the province more or less identifies the B.C. portion of the oil and gas industry employment where large salaries and mobile workers present various forms of drug problems to the centralized communities involved; Fort Nelson, Ft St. John and Dawson Creek in particular. The fact that marijuana and marijuana grow operations in the area are commonly known to have a connection with criminal drug gangs and the prevalence of heroin, coke and Oxy etc may well have been a factor.

The further medicalization of marijuana and controlled legalization of small personal quantities of marijuana for stress reduction (like booze) was not judged on it's own identified merits ... good AND bad.
Last edited by Donald G on Dec 22nd, 2013, 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Captain Awesome ...

I think that you have identified a significant part of the problem. A number of centralized petition centers in a far less densely populated area would mean that a higher percentage of people from that area would likely come into contact with a 'sign up' booth, or person who had been to a sign up booth.

Given the truth about marijuana as recognized by Health Canada and other national and international medical authorities would lead me to believe that a significant lack of truthful knowledge about marijuana as it relates to the human body also played a significant role in the hesitancy depicted in more dense areas. I believe that some of the more outlandish and false claims attributed to marijuana, especially in relation to the role marijuana and marijuana grows played in relation to criminal drug gangs and drug gang violence also played a role in compounding that hesitancy.

I wonder how many people have even bothered to read the data put out by Health Canada and the new "informed consent" system that is being brought into being April 1, 2014?

How many people with Sensible BC see the possibilities inherent in the Federal Liberal position(S) on legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana playing a role in future Conservative Health Canada interpretations of stress? How many see the initial petition as possibly playing a similar role with the BC Liberals in an effort to thwart the NDP?

Return to “B.C.”